DREDDFUL QUERIES:

AURIKALKO

Mongoose
HELLO CITIZENS!

How about helping a rookie judge with these? If they've already answered by Barney, please redirect me to the proper file! Thanks!!!

1.Is Mega City 1 domed or is it open to the toxic atmosphere? If it isn't domed, why? Is the atmosphere not that toxic?

2.Why only bikes & no patrol cars are used?

3.What's the process of chosing/applying to the Academy of Law? Do they all have to be orphans, for instance?

4.Is it permitted for Judges to marry? Can they marry citizens (non-judges)? If negative, why?

5.If more or less 90% of Mega City 1's citizens are unemployed, do they live on welfare or not?

6.Why doesn't a person covered in Boing not choke to death?

7.Resyk recycles corpses for what purpose (what do them corpses get turned into, Soylent Green?)?

8.H-Wagon is short for "Hover Wagon"?

AurikAlko

AURIKALKO said:
HELLO CITIZENS!

How about helping a rookie judge with these? If they've already answered by Barney, please redirect me to the proper file! Thanks!!!

1.Is Mega City 1 domed or is it open to the toxic atmosphere? If it isn't domed, why? Is the atmosphere not that toxic?

It's not domed - the atmosphere is regulated by Weather Control. The atmosphere isn't that toxic anyway, apart from certain parts of the Cursed Earth (such as the Slough of St Louis).

AURIKALKO said:

Bikes are more manoeuverable (plus, it looks cooler!) H-Wagons and Pat Wagons are sometimes used for patrols, though.

AURIKALKO said:
3.What's the process of chosing/applying to the Academy of Law? Do they all have to be orphans, for instance?

Some Cadets are enrolled at special induction days at the Academy of Law. Parents who feel that their children may be prospective Judge material bring them in. They have to sit through a lecture (a very basic 'The Justice Department for Beginners' sort of thing), then if they're still interested (and haven't been thrown out for bad behaviour during the lecture!) the children are inducted into the Academy.

The Academy does also appear to enroll orphans regularly - I guess a Judge with no strong family conections is more likely to be dedicated to duty (although they also tend to be screw-ups - Judge Kurten, for instance, was an orphan because he'd witnessed his parents' murder and subsequently developed multiple personality disorder).

A few Judges are also clones of proven Judges of the past. They seem to have no life prior to being 'born' at the age of five (in the episode 'Error of Judgment', during a regression hypnosis session Dredd can only remember floating in a tank before his first day at the Academy).

It's also not unheard of for a particularly gifted citizen to be press ganged or even sentenced into the Academy of Law...

AURIKALKO said:
4.Is it permitted for Judges to marry? Can they marry citizens (non-judges)? If negative, why?

No, Judges never marry either other Judges or citizens. A Judge should have room for only one thing in his life - the Law. Personnal attachments impair efficiency (even making frends in the Academy is frowned upon).

AURIKALKO said:
5.If more or less 90% of Mega City 1's citizens are unemployed, do they live on welfare or not?

Yes - citizens on Welfare have to physically sign-on every two weeks and recieve 399 credits a week, plus housing and so on.

AURIKALKO said:
6.Why doesn't a person covered in Boing not choke to death?

Plot expediancy.

I guess that Boing® allows air through - it is, after all, the miracle plastic! However, it does block denser gasses, including Judge Death's spirit form.

AURIKALKO said:
7.Resyk recycles corpses for what purpose (what do them corpses get turned into, Soylent Green?)?

Bodies are broken down into '107 useful constituents' at Resyk plants, although some are screened out before hand for use in transplant surgery and a few are deemed unsuitable to be recycled. Most corpses end up as chemical compounds used in industry and consequently can end up anywhere - a Judge in 'Return of the Assassin' mentions that many people have tried to kill Dredd and all have failed, and 'you're probably salving your lips with them right now', so the cosmetics industry is a possibility...

AURIKALKO said:
8.H-Wagon is short for "Hover Wagon"?

Yes.

More about question five. Robots do all the work that those 90% of the unemployed citizens would have been doing. Those un-employed citizens are then encouraged to take up a hobby like ball boucing, dish washing, chair- sitting, batting etc. It's the law.

I suspect that the remaining 10% are Judges and the minority that haven't fully adjusted to the Mega culture still operate on the street level as street vendors and white-collar criminal activity. There is probably quite abit more criminal activity going on then I have indicated, because of the need for Judges.

To also add to question one and six, it's fantacy fiction.

Anvil said:
More about question five. Robots do all the work that those 90% of the unemployed citizens would have been doing. Those un-employed citizens are then encouraged to take up a hobby like ball boucing, dish washing, chair- sitting, batting etc. It's the law.

I suspect that the remaining 10% are Judges and the minority that haven't fully adjusted to the Mega culture still operate on the street level as street vendors and white-collar criminal activity. There is probably quite abit more criminal activity going on then I have indicated, because of the need for Judges.

To also add to question one and six, it's fantacy fiction.

I don't think that the MC1 unemployment figures count being a Judge as a job...

I also wouldn't count being a criminal as a job (everybody is guilty of something, therefore MC1 should have 100% employment!)- there are a few forms of legitimate employment in 2128. These are mainly supervisory positions (managers and the like - robot supervisors aren't really trusted after two robot rebellions), there are a few tasks that robots can't do (Munce taster is the most common mentioned, as is 'Canary Man' at gas plants - the likes of Rodentine Sewer Gas is so lethal that even the tiniest amount is lethal to humans. The canary man's job is to sit around in the plant - if he suddenly drops dead, the robots know there's been a gas leak) and a few jobs have been reserved for humans in order to make a tiny dent in the Unemployment figures (Tri-D repair man is a human-only task). Plus, sometimes it's cheaper to hire a human than buy a robot (human security guards are quite common) and the entertainment industry employs humans (bar staff and so on).

The most common and high profile job seems to be Shop Window Dummy.

What about the career criminals that are real criminals, that intentionally break the law to make a living, not just the large percentage of citizens who are always found to be fowl of the Law.

Though I'm not sure if they were included in that survey.

AURIKALKO said:
AurikAlko

more on this question:

there ARE patrol cars. the prestige class "pursuit judge" drives no bike but a special patrol car for high speed pursuits.

The 10 % employed are probably hi up execs in compaines, and such...also you get human canaries in the chemical industry.

And the Resyk plants employees

theres a few once you look into it

:D

A question that bothers me is how do people breath in the oxy-pool, yeah, its highly oxygenated water, I like the concept, but theyre lungs would still fill up with water.

Also judges can marry, In Brit-Cit and The Emerald Isle.

Back