Divine spell:Consecrate

Brutus

Mongoose
Few questions about Consecrate

Does it mean that anyone can establish a permanent holy place almost anywhere after only "praying" one hour ?

How to detect a consecrated place belonging to another religion ?

What happens if a Site is never maintained ? Does the "sanctification" end up ?

thanks.

I remember thinking about the same questions with the RQ-3 version of the spell. Now, from a more mature perspective I'd just consider consecrating to be something a properly ordained cult figure (acolyte or higher) can do with ritual, not a separate spell. The worship <entity> spells were even worse

In RQ3 you created a site with the divine spell Sanctify. The stronger the spell, the larger the site. However, when sacrificing for the spell, you also got 4 wands that went with the spell, and had to be used for the spell to be active. Thus, you could not cast a new Sanctify spell without terminating the old (as you needed those wands).

In RQ3 only acolytes and priest were liable to cast this spell, as they were the only one with reusable magic. It was a ritual spell, so you also needed a good ceremony skill to succeed.

Trif.

Brutus said:
How to detect a consecrated place belonging to another religion ?
At the very least, I'd assume that Mystic Vision and the like would reveal it, and it's quite possible that Acolytes and above of any cult would sense something, if not automatically then with a Perception check. Probably this wouldn't reveal the exact anctification, but I'd also assume that as part of the spell the caster had to inscribe appropriate runes or such like in the sanctified area, and these should be visible even by mundane means.

What happens if a Site is never maintained ? Does the "sanctification" end up ?
In the absence of the "wand" mechanism there's nothing in the rules to make it. I'd say that it should at least diminish in Magnitude if not collapse entirely, at the next Sacred Time (in Glorantha, anyway), if nothing was done to refresh it.

Spell was changed after I saw its earlier version, Sanctify, in pre-publication version of the Companion. Have to look at it with respect to Cults and general Gloranthan magical practice.

Jeff

Back