Differences in editions

I'm sure it's been discussed several times but I can't find it. Can someone point me to a thread about the difference between 1e and 2e? I've got access to both books, but it might be a while before I can get the 2e book. Should I wait or go ahead and learn the system, making changes as necessary later? Or shoudl I even change? Are the changes that large and necessary?

James McMurray said:
I'm sure it's been discussed several times but I can't find it. Can someone point me to a thread about the difference between 1e and 2e? I've got access to both books, but it might be a while before I can get the 2e book. Should I wait or go ahead and learn the system, making changes as necessary later? Or shoudl I even change? Are the changes that large and necessary?

Im sure at one point there was a download preview of the 2e Rulebook that included the Conversion Rules as they currently stand.. but i cant find it atm.

Anyway, the major changes are as follows

Introduction of an Influence system (reflects reputation and standing with various factions, groups and organisations) all classes have influence and the book includes rules for using it, increasing it, decreasing someone elses etc..

Skills Changes, many of the skills have been grouped together, producing fewer skills but with more aspects to each.

Psionics system, got an overhaul, new system is much better.

Starship Combat, the old DS based system has been replaced with a more narrative based system that is very quick and easy to use. There are now also orders that can affect combat so everyone in a group could have an effect on how thier parties ship performs to some degree, which is very cool. there are a few minor issues with some of the offence ratings, but on the whole the new system is much preferred to the old.

Some feat tweaks and new feats. Some class changes and tweaks, some race tweaks and some rule tweaks for combat.

And thats about the majority of it.. The new rules work better than the 1st edition ones in my opinion, though if you are happy with the 1st edition ones you play then its really down to your own preference as to whether or not you upgrade.

I'll be running Jagged Edge, so I at least need the Influence rules.

I'll probably just stop reading the 1e book now and try to expedite access to the 2e one.

Thanks!

Back