Did they lie?

Hey, I notice in the Rune Quest main book it says the Companion would have rules for playing non human characters. I bought the companion mostly for those rules (and the extra magics) but I don't see them anywhere.

What gives?

The Monsters book will do. Everything you need to play non humans in RuneQuest will be there. Companion gives you just some new magic options, further background materials and some other neat stuff. Actually I'd say that the RuneQuest deluxe that is about to be published is the best way to start into the game, as I think of RQ, Companion and Monsters as the three must-have titles for the series, which will all be included in the Deluxe version.

So you might have bought the Companion in vain in regard to the non human rules, but you'll find the book handy non the less. Go get a copy of Monsters and you're really good to go!

Cut said:
The Monsters book will do. Everything you need to play non humans in RuneQuest will be there. Companion gives you just some new magic options, further background materials and some other neat stuff. Actually I'd say that the RuneQuest deluxe that is about to be published is the best way to start into the game, as I think of RQ, Companion and Monsters as the three must-have titles for the series, which will all be included in the Deluxe version.

So you might have bought the Companion in vain in regard to the non human rules, but you'll find the book handy non the less. Go get a copy of Monsters and you're really good to go!

I've got a PDF of Monsters, or at least I think I do. It's just the text, no pictures, but everything seems to be in order.

It doesn't include direct rules on playing creatures, but I assume you're just suggesting I take the basic stats and work with those during character creation to get the desired results.

Really, all I suppose I need is the background information anyways.

... though it's really only a very little section. I'd still have to come up with background tables on my own.

Not a problem, though. I'm not actually playing in Glorantha, creating a new world with my players (same creatures and basic concept, though). I may connect the two worlds eventually, if I decide to get Mong's Glorantha material.

In any case, creating background tables could be pretty fun.

Zipp Dementia said:
Hey, I notice in the Rune Quest main book it says the Companion would have rules for playing non human characters. I bought the companion mostly for those rules (and the extra magics) but I don't see them anywhere.

What gives?

They didn't put the promised Alchemy rules in there either.
(Bitterly expressing a deeply nursed and long-held grudge)

CharlieMonster said:

Wait! I have just the ointment for that!

Oh. No I don't - no rules for making it, soz.

- Q

Quire said:
CharlieMonster said:

Wait! I have just the ointment for that!

Oh. No I don't - no rules for making it, soz.

- Q

I hope the put the poison rules and the antidote rules in the same supplement! :shock:

Yes, i noticed the lack of alchemy (thread derailment ftw)

Dms guide is when?

And the rules do seem to be delivered salami sliced...

Overall though, very happy that RQ has a new lease of life, and the background material is all good.

Players Guide to Glorantha is worth getting even if you're not using Glorantha.

Theer are new skills, spells, legendary abilities and descriptions of a number of critters, including Ducks, Minotaurs, Centaurs, Elves and Trolls.

If you're playing a Minotaur or Centaur then they're really useful. Minotaurs can now get Big Hobnail Boots and Horn Sharpeners, for example.

Back