Demoralise Opponent

A

Anonymous

Demoralise Opponent; Can it be performed again on an opponent if previously successful within the same combat?>

I don't know what the developers will say, but I would rule that it couldn't be done except under extraordinary circumstances. If you succeeded in demoralizing them and haven't maimed/killed them, clearly you aren't as dangerous as you made them believe.

InsomNY said:
If you succeeded in demoralizing them and haven't maimed/killed them, clearly you aren't as dangerous as you made them believe.

Perhaps the effect worked to the attackers benefit but not enough to kill an opponent. Could it not be used agin the next round or the round after that?

If unsuccessful then I could see no further repeats.

I'd like to hear some other thoughts on this rule.

I would say no unless circumstances dramatically changed.

for example

You disarm your opponent.
Your well armed army/allies arrives and the opponent sees they are on your side.
Your opponents allies flee.
or perhaps
All of your opponents allies are dead.

I don't know...saying "you butt ugly" one second might not get to someone, but in the next second saying "and so's yer mamma" can.

I can't find it. What's the book and page?

Can't give you a page refrence but it's under the Intimidate skill. It's a usage of that.

My response would be to say no as per the the try again suggestion under Intimidate.

I'd say you can use it, if only to make Steely Gaze more useful. If you can get them to mentally back down, you should be able to keep them that way.

Aesa the Swift said:
Demoralise Opponent; Can it be performed again on an opponent if previously successful within the same combat?>
Yes.

Furthermore don't forget that fear effects are cumuliative. A Shaken character who is Shaken again becomes Frightened and will attempt to flee the source of its fear to the best of its ability.

Hope that helps.

Oh yea...well, the retry says optional, but usually not.

I'll go with the rgoup here on this on then. I think no retries most of the time, but if the GM thinks it's warranted, then it's okay. There's obviously some times when it ought to be allowed.

Back