Dawn of Destruction - Out Now!

Yeah, all in all a great offering and easy to follow up with "Trouble in Tanoren"* and "Blood Moon Rising", as they all take place in the same region (more or less). With those three, you could entertain your band of players for many sessions.

I like the players handouts (wish they could be put on the website as pdf) and the GM's maps which help a lot in running the encounters. A bit short as Columbob pointed out, but a thrilling ride nonetheless.

*The adventure published in the magazine "Signs & Portents", written by Matt Thomason.

I've received it! :D

I didn't find the time to read it but at first glance it's a (very) short but nice one!
What I especially like is the GM and players maps and players handouts. Very well done! The maps are excellent!

Can't wait to read this small sweet!!! :wink:

got mine today and it is sweet 8) the adventure is small yes but perfectly formed as lone wolf pcs even at lower levels should always be involved in epics and love the way there is forming a arc of adventures with the mag and the PDF hope this continues in what ever format maybe even moving to cover other areas(hint hint)

i'd like to comment on DoD but when I went to melbourne recently with the intent of purchasing it and MoM they'd sold out grrrr even Naar mocks me it seems, oh well, i'll just take it out on my poor naive PCs :twisted:

I have just read through this and it is fantastic. Short yes, playable in a session or two but a great epic start. I can see this being a good adventure for both beginners and long time GMs.

Blood Moon Rising is a good follow up which helps deal with the issue of length. I only hope we will see more advnetures. One in Slovia would be really nice.

I agree that it is quite a nice 1st level adventure, but I do have a few issues I'm not entirely sure about.

1) Toran is very lightly defended if there are no city guard on patrol anywhere near the harbour. (I know the PCs need to be involved but I think this is a little unrealistic)
2) I know heroes are exceptional individuals but we are also told on many occasions that Kai Lords are almost exclusively from Sommerlund. Why in the first published adventure do we have to have a Kai Lord from Vassagonia of all places?

I don't want to sound like I'm being harsh - I think overall it's a good starting adventure - but thought I'd just make those comments.

Thanks.

First I must say that I really like this adventure, especially as it is very well balanced for starting characters.

Silver Fox said:
1) Toran is very lightly defended if there are no city guard on patrol anywhere near the harbour. (I know the PCs need to be involved but I think this is a little unrealistic)

I agree with you.
Personnaly, I'll set this adventure in Ljuk (yes, Ljuk!) rewriting all the stuff regarding the Guild...
For me it's a far too small -and poorly defended- harbour that is described! Toran is one of the biggest city in Sommerlund and you only have 5 ships docking here? No way! :p

Silver Fox said:
2) I know heroes are exceptional individuals but we are also told on many occasions that Kai Lords are almost exclusively from Sommerlund. Why in the first published adventure do we have to have a Kai Lord from Vassagonia of all places?

I agree with you.
It's a bit disturbing and it sounds like an easy way to "put some exotic facts" in the adventure.
Anyway, I don't mind. As far as I'm concerned, I'll simply ingore this NPC (as it is a NPC for me, my group of player is already ready!).

First I must say that I really like this adventure, especially as it is very well balanced for starting characters.

Silver Fox said:

I agree with you.
Personnaly, I'll set this adventure in Ljuk (yes, Ljuk!) rewriting all the stuff regarding the Guild...
For me it's a far too small -and poorly defended- harbour that is described! Toran is one of the biggest city in Sommerlund and you only have 5 ships docking here? No way! :p

Silver Fox said:

I agree with you.
It's a bit disturbing and it sounds like an easy way to "put some exotic facts" in the adventure.
Anyway, I don't mind. As far as I'm concerned, I'll simply ingore this NPC (as it is a NPC for me, my group of player is already ready!).

Silver Fox said:

Yep, that one ticked me off a bit too. I suppose it's because the nation of Vassagonia is so radicaly opposed to Sommerlund (and sometimes makes me think of the Narnian Tarkaans of Calormen).

Then again, my players won't be using the pregenerated characters :p.

For me it's a far too small -and poorly defended- harbour that is described! Toran is one of the biggest city in Sommerlund and you only have 5 ships docking here? No way!

When I first glanced at that map I got the impression that it was only part of the harbour. Perhaps the guards had been called away to other disasters occurring in the city although I suspect a lot of them had taken the day off to enjoy the festivities (there was a major festival sometime soon wasn't there?)

I have another adventure idea for Ljuk myself, it should be fun but I'll get round to that in good time :).

Silver Fox said:

That is not the impression I got at all. There is a certain amount of serendipity so the heroes can save the day. However, most city guard would be unable to deal with the crisis adequately because of the massive chaos and magical confusion. The Order Triumphant are also locked outside the city.

I find this heroic and in genre and not unrealistic. I must say it also didn't bother me that Luke Skywalker didn't detroy the Death Star whilst trained pilots were killed and failed.

Silver Fox said:

Personally, I though the PCs were all well drawn and had a lot of good background information for a one off. The Vassagonian thing was a bit odd but if the PC is good, I am not complaining.

Balgin Stondraeg said:
When I first glanced at that map I got the impression that it was only part of the harbour.

That was my impression too.

The Vassagonian kai is one of the best things about the npc write up; its supposed to be beyond the norm and also to paint Vassagonia in a better light than too many people think it to be.

The real reason why so many kai are from sommerlund is undoubtedly (IMO) because only the sommerlund nobility consider it an honr to actually send their children away; everyone else in other nations probably does not really go for the craze of sending their children far far away...forever! :shock:

Well if you want to go clutching at straws you could say he's the sole survivor of a horrid travelling accident and was raised by wolves (and stuff) in the wild deserts of Vassagonia whilst actualy being the long lost son of some Sommerlund nobles who didn't call him Mowgli.

Then again, you might not :p.

I read in either LOLW or the Magnamund Companion that there were Kai Lords even in the early days of arriving from the summer isles, so it would make sense that the purer bred sommerlending become Kai Lords. Although i do like the Jedi like aspect that seems to be allowed in the rpg, so why not have a vassagonian kai lord, surely not EVERY vassagonian is a badly accented merchant who'll try and extort as many Gold Crowns away from you as possible (although they certainly are in my compains :wink: who else would be able to purvey goods at the end of the lastlands sale :twisted: )

Except that Sun Eagle was the first Kai Lord, WD, and he became a Kai Lord after the Battle of Maakengorge. That was way after the arrival of the Sommlending in Magnamund.

Back