Dark Altar of Katar ?

MadDog

Mongoose
I found a file on Limewire called "Dark Altar of Katar" listed as being a Mongoose product for d20 Conan. Yet, I dont see this listed on the Conan page. Was this an actual Mongoose product ?

Mad Dog

Yes.

It was an adventure available, so far as I know, only to those people that were part of the Sons of Cimmeria program.

I have it as well - but I actually got mine from Mongoose. ;)

MadDog,

Yes I wrote that adventure and it never became available as an online Pdf to the general public; only to those members of the SOC. However if you would like a copy then give me your email address and I will send you one.

By the way, I have another adventure coming out this month called, "The Staff of Ibis". Hope you like it.

Eric in Vegas

EricKRod said:
MadDog,

Yes I wrote that adventure and it never became available as an online Pdf to the general public; only to those members of the SOC. However if you would like a copy then give me your email address and I will send you one.

By the way, I have another adventure coming out this month called, "The Staff of Ibis". Hope you like it.

Eric in Vegas

As regular adventure, signs&portents, pdf by another company? It isn't listed here yet...

EricKRod, I would be interested in the adventures. If its official Mongoose, why not make them available for purchase ?

thanks,

Mad Dog (gionpetersATcomcastDOTnet)

MadDog said:
EricKRod, I would be interested in the adventures. If its official Mongoose, why not make them available for purchase ?

thanks,

Mad Dog (gionpetersATcomcastDOTnet)

Or even as a free download. At least that adventure that was part of the SOC program. :wink:

As to the adventure being made available as a pdf download, free or not, is up to Mongoose. They are the men in charge and they get to say "what is what" in the Conan world. :D

However, if you ask those guy's directly, then maybe they would consider given it out as a free download, since they done it already.

As to there not being a listing for Conan and the Staff of Ibis, well it's because it's a secret release and it will be in a pdf format. :)

I hope that covers it?

Eric in Vegas

EricKRod said:
As to there not being a listing for Conan and the Staff of Ibis, well it's because it's a secret release and it will be in a pdf format. :)

Hey, you're a double agent! :wink:

EricKRod said:
MadDog,

Eric in Vegas

Dear Eric, if these two adventures are still not available to the general public (as free downloads or otherwise), could you send me a copy?

My email address is rasek7#hotmail.com

Please substitute the # for the @ to get my real email address.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Rasek.

EricKRod said:
As to the adventure being made available as a pdf download, free or not, is up to Mongoose. They are the men in charge and they get to say "what is what" in the Conan world. :D

However, if you ask those guy's directly, then maybe they would consider given it out as a free download, since they done it already.

I hope that covers it?

Eric in Vegas

I will PM you shortly.

Eric, thanks a lot for getting me a copy of Katar. It looks very cool and I'm looking forward to working it into my campaign. After seeing this, I will definately be keeping an eye out for Staff of Ibis, and any other items that you write. Thanks again - You Rock!

Rock,

I have more adventures written and turned into Mongoose, but haven't heard back from them in a while. If this year ends and nothing get's published, I will make all of them available to anyone who asks.

Eric in Vegas

Of course I would rather have them publish them. (hint, hint). Sometimes Ian and Alex just aren't listening. I'm sure I will hear back from them in March when GAMA rolls around again. :wink:

Eric in Vegas

"Danger in the Westermarck!" Review

I do own Thunder River, but have yet to run a Pictish Wilderness campaign, but were I to, I think this mini-adventure would be a nice intro with which to acquaint the players before diving into the much more detailed ideas of TR.
The PCs' mission is relatively straightforward: obtain a strongbox from Picts who purloined it. Overall it is fertile reading, but possesses a couple of very minor deficiencies.
The weird, or supernatural, element could have been amped up a notch or two.
Maps of meager craftsmanship, could be better, more like dnd flavour than Conan/Hyborian.
A scale would be immensely helpful, although not too hard to improvise.
Six numbered sites on map not explicitly keyed to the text.
stats lacking for some npcs or animals. Providing them in an appendix or afterword should have been useful.
"normal" vs. "not normal" wolves.

"Dark Altar of Katar" review

Very nicely thought out. Good flavourful backstory.

There's something much more exotic and mysterious when one thinks of the distant land of Vendhya, and this adventure immediately got my creative juices flowing.

"Millennia" is plural for "millennium." So the phrase "crafted over a millennia ago" does not agree with regard to number.

The vial of glowing liquid mentioned in E2 is intriguing.

The map in this module shares my same complaint as the DitW module: They look more in the vein of D&D and could have been more atmospheric by being hand-drawn and b/w.

The npc name Vadavaa, Sanskrit for "mare"??? If true, very clever.

In all, "Katar" much more competent and imaginative writing than "Westermarck." My few complaints do not fault the writing as much as the maps.

Back