Couple rules questions

daddystabz

Mongoose
1) Movement: Movement could really use some clarification imo. In our game yesterday a player asked if he could move his full amount after firing off an arrow on the same combat action. The GM ruled he could only move 1/2 his normal movement allowance (4 meters instead of 8) after firing an arrow, until he reads otherwise in the rules. I am of the understanding that you can fire an arrow and move your full 8m movement on 1 CA. Am I right or wrong? This would make it identical to making a melee attack and moving.

2) My character had a situation where our group was being attacked by a bandit group on a road. I was pretty far away from the baddies and being a 2 handed greatsword wielder with no Common Magic that can strike at range made things paramount that I get within melee range. During round 2 when my SR came up I decided to sprint toward the bad guys and stop just short so I can easily get in range of my greatsword. However, the GM thought I couldn't do this without that being declared as a charge. I was not trying to perform a charge at all. I simply wanted to run up close to them so I could get in range to fight. Another player agreed this should be possible even though the GM at first thought it wasn't, thinking this would have to be considered a charge. I gave the example of the double move from d20. He ruled he would allow me to sprint to close the distance but that I'd take a decent penalty to evade or parry any attacks that come my way, especially since the baddies were wielding shortspears (L length). He didn't realize my greatsword is the same size as their shortspears, having a large reach.

What do you all think?

1) As far as I'm aware RAW it's the player's choice how they split their Movement (which is per Combat Round) amongst their Combat Actions. So moving the full 8m on one Combat Round is fine. It's worth noting that there's certainly house-rules around that limit it to something like half movement (max) + an attack or full movement (but no attack) per Combat Action.

So after looking at a previous thread in this forum about movement clarifications it now seems to me that you cannot move and attack on the same CA. Is this the case? Regardless of it being a melee attack or a ranged attack.

daddystabz said:
So after looking at a previous thread in this forum about movement clarifications it now seems to me that you cannot move and attack on the same CA. Is this the case? Regardless of it being a melee attack or a ranged attack.
I don't beleive that's the case. Can you link the thread you're talking about?

AFAIK movement works like this:

Humanoid Base Movement is 8 metres per ROUND.
Sprinting is BM x 5 - Armour Penalty
Charging same as Sprinting

On your Strike Rank/Initiative you can do the following:

On each CA you can move and attack (melee or ranged) so long as you don't exceed your BM for the entire round. In other words you can spread your 8 metres over all of your CA's in any combination you like, 2, 2 & 4 for example if you have 3 CA's. Or you can move your total BM on 1 CA and attack, but you can then no longer move in that ROUND.

You can Sprint which usually takes your whole round, i.e. you do nothing but run.

You can Charge which is generally thought of as a Sprint with an attack coming on the last CA. So if you have 3 CA you would declare the charge on your 1st CA and begin moving, continue charging on your 2nd CA and on your last CA your charge would stop and you would make your attack.

You can move half your movement for the round and cast a spell.

Some will interpret this differently, but this my understanding of RAW. Your GM may also house-rule by restricting movement and or imposing modifiers appropriate to the action being undertaken.

Your (insert name) will vary...

Back