Core Rule Book Version 2 - very well done Mongoose!

nats

Banded Mongoose
I do not say this very often as I am a miserable git generally, but I have to give credit where it is due - I was extremely delighted when I received my Version 2 Core Rule Book today, you have done a remarkable job on it. It looks like a very professional product, much better than the original v1 Traveller Core Rule Book which was your high point until now.

It's the first Mongoose product that I have bought that I just immediately thought - now that is a lovely book. I mean some of your older books have had nice covers etc but this book is just a lovely object throughout. For the first time I am really excited that Traveller finally has a set of rules to rival the high quality D&D books. I am going to really enjoy reading it.

So well done Mongoose - you have excelled yourself :D :D :D

Got mine today as well. Cat chewed it within 2 mins of unpacking! I agree I was rather pleased with the whole look of the product. As weds if Traveller night I was able to take it over to the group and flaunt it like a bitch to all the others. Over all from what I've seen a very swish product that showcases the game very well. 8)

There was one downer. It was advertised when I preordered it was £40 down to £30. And now it retails at £30. Not sure how that stands on retail practice. :evil:

I agree with everyone above, got my rule book yesterday and its is just one nice looking book, mongoose have excelled themselves with this version of Traveller.

nats said:

If you like the Core Rulebook, wait until you see Central Supply Catalogue (hoping to get the PDF out tomorrow). We have tried to knock the ball out of the park on that one :)

Ok, putting the 'deal' price to one side. I have had a chance on a day off to give this a good once over. It is a dream to read in comparison to some of the older versions. The rules changes are nice, but not drastic enough to change any major game play or make the players pull their hair out. In fact I've told our players they may not even notice it's crept in much except play may speed up and I get to look at some pretty pictures and not a wall of text. Very nice for a dyslexic like me.
The starship section is one of the bigger changes, and one that I am very happy with. Much improved in my opinion, and the ship graphics are vey sexy indeed, yes ship floorplans can be sexy! Enough that I may even think about Highguard, which I have never bothered with since the 80s.
However, is it me or am I blind? No character sheet in the rules!!??!!

WTF?!

We decided it was of limited utility in the book itself and the page space was better used elsewhere - you can simply download a character sheet here: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/traveller-1/traveller-core-rulebook.html

Hope that helps!

msprange said:

We decided it was of limited utility in the book itself and the page space was better used elsewhere - you can simply download a character sheet here: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/traveller-1/traveller-core-rulebook.html

Hope that helps!
The character sheet is nice, Matt, but has some problems when filled in electronically. Some fields duplicate in unwanted areas. I think it needs to be looked at and fixed up a bit. As it is, the majority of the armour, weapons, and equipment fields are pretty much useless.

mancerbear said:
msprange said:

Hope that helps!
The character sheet is nice, Matt, but has some problems when filled in electronically. Some fields duplicate in unwanted areas. I think it needs to be looked at and fixed up a bit. As it is, the majority of the armour, weapons, and equipment fields are pretty much useless.

I am sure I will be creating my own using Excel in due course as I have for CT and MgT V1, so I will post that on COTI as usual. I agree there are a few things that could be improved - blank skills for example taking up far too much room that could be put to better use.

msprange said:
nats said:

If you like the Core Rulebook, wait until you see Central Supply Catalogue (hoping to get the PDF out tomorrow). We have tried to knock the ball out of the park on that one :)

Any chance the PDF will be released in a (discounted) bundle that includes a pre-order of the physical book?

Just got my two copies, and concur with the findings shared here that the new rulebook is a quantum leap forward for Traveller. I do miss the military flavor of the GDW-era books - but perhaps the new editions of Mercenary (?) and High Guard will scratch that itch. Back in the day, it was a big deal for a player at my table to have gone through Commando training.

I look forward to the next batch of releases. Is there an ETA for the printed editions of High Guard, Central Supply Catalog, and the three adventures? Is a new edition of Mercenary in the works?

This is what I've been waiting for. I just couldn't tackle a PDF of that size, I need to see the book in its entirity to understand how all the rules fit together. Now, I just need some spare cash in order to buy it... I'm really looking forward to having this gorgeous looking book to peruse.

Back