[CONAN] Trial of Blood

I just starting reading the mega-adventure, Trial of Blood, and I'll tell ya, I'm quite impressed with it! Well, I've only read the first 20 pages, so take that for what its worth. I'm thinking of using the mega-campaign as a wrapper for my current campaign--tying the storylines together.

In several books and short stories, in both Conan The Barbarian films, Conan is participant in a long-term quest/plot that spans decades. I've always wondered how that would work in a long term campaign. You set up something while the characters are 1st level, and then, several game years later, when the characters are high level, you resolve the issue--always returning to the over-all plot from time to time during the campaign.

I'm thinking of starting Trial of Blood, then doing our own thing for a while. Then, come back to the mega-adventure, before leaving it again, and so on, eventually making the climax of the campaign the same as the climax to Trial of Blood.

I like the "prophecy" system the adventure introduces, and I can see playing out those prophecies from the chart from time to time as the campaign wears on.

Oh....what did I like best about those 20 pages I read? This is a completely different tangent, but I loved how it was written! It feels--at least the tavern part of the adventure (haven't read about Sicas, yet)--like an old school D&D adventure in parts (while still being completely "Conan").

I love all the detail placed upon the patrons in the tavern. How the entertainment is "in" on the robery. How the Bossonian is on the run, paranoid, because of the death of a prostitute. The Kushite swordmaster. All the little details, like what the NPC is wearing.

Man, this is roleplaying fodder! We get just enough to run with "it" and turn the scene into something completely unique and not on the page of the adventure.

Kudos to Bryan Steele.

Back