Conan RPG: My view of how it might have lasted longer.

I'm not saying it doesn't work - merely that it takes a ton of time to play out a combat and learn the system.

One way of speeding things up a little that I favour, is to allow the PCs to critical without the second crit roll against minor NPC's - saving the second crit roll only for major bad guys or when bad guys attack the PC's. This enables the PC's to wade through the minor gooks a little easier and with a little more cimematic splatter!

It has nothing to do with the system, even if in my opinion the rules were way too cumbersome to attract a larger audience. The loss of the licence, combined with poor editing choices in the 2nd edition killed the game.

My two cents.

djd said:
One way of speeding things up a little that I favour, is to allow the PCs to critical without the second crit roll against minor NPC's - saving the second crit roll only for major bad guys or when bad guys attack the PC's. This enables the PC's to wade through the minor gooks a little easier and with a little more cimematic splatter!

One thing I'm thinking of doing is, instead of having the Crit check, just allow for extra attacks at normal damage.

Thus, if a natural 20 is thrown with a x2 weapon, the attacker is allowed one extra attack, free, to be taken immediately. The first could hit and the second couldn't (thus not a critical hit). If both hit, then the damage is applied twice (just like a critical hit).

If the weapon has a threat zone of 17-20, and a crit multiplyer of x3, the same thing occurs. Roll a natural 17+, and two more free attacks are allowed. One may hit. Two may hit. Or, all three may hit.

I like this better than doing the crit check.

All damage from a "crit routine" is summed when checking for Massive Damage, even though I've made them separate, but free, attacks.

Hervé said:
It has nothing to do with the system, even if in my opinion the rules were way too cumbersome to attract a larger audience. The loss of the licence, combined with poor editing choices in the 2nd

Having recently bought the entire game line, I will agree that the 2nd edition stuff is not a sexy as the 1st edition offerings.

I guess that's the key - the fact that you feel comfortable with D20. Someone coming to D20 new - the Conan rules are pretty daunting I think! As I said, my only other D20 experinece (since AD&D in the early 80's) is Star Wars - which uses a much more streamlined version of the rules.

Ive always favoured the Chaosium BRP systems - although I do like all the feats and special effects in Conan D20 - just wish it were easier to get to grips with!

I used to play Pheonix Command if anyone here remembers that one? It would take about 15 minutes to take one shot... Fun if you like your combat detailed!

I like both styles of gaming.

One of my favorite rpg's is the original, classic Traveller. Simple. Two six siders. Rules lite.

I bit more involved--in the middle, let's say--is D6 Star Wars. Fantastic set of game mechanics.

For d20 Conan, yeah, it's a bit complex compared to Classic Traveller. But, the "crunch" can be applealing, too, especially if you have a wargame background.

Restart rpgaming these days.
Conan.

I started roleplaying at the age of 14 with "Das Schwarze Auge".
It´s a german rpg. Wellknown in Germany and Austria (where I am from).
d20.
We also played Midgard. Again d20.

After years of playing we tried mers.
I was really hard to switch the system.
I didn´t last long.

I grew up with d20 and it´s the system which I prefer and have the best grip on.

But I have to admit that in the beginning the d20 rules were much simpler than today AND (and that´s the crucial point) we were satisfied with this simple rules.
Won´t work today. Getting older comes with getting more focused on details (haha, maybe getting even older (and wiser) brings back the lightness and joy of simplicity :wink:

Either way: For we have d20 in our blood, Conan d20 will be a success.
8)

Back