Conan Prestige Classes

Perhaps something like this as a standardized synergy bonus system?

5 ranks in Profession (Fence) gives you a +2 synergy bonus to Appraise.
5 ranks in Profession (Smuggler) gives you a +2 synergy bonus to Bluff.
5 ranks in Profession (Slaver) gives you a +2 synergy bonus to Intimidate.

Iron_Chef said:

I like those!

I would also like to see it scaled for higher ranks. I think 10 ranks should give more of a synergy (say, +3). 15, even more (maybe +4 total). and so on. I don't know if that would be unbalancing or not, but I have been thinking for a while about trying something like that.

VincentDarlage said:
Iron_Chef said:

I like those!

I would also like to see it scaled for higher ranks. I think 10 ranks should give more of a synergy (say, +3). 15, even more (maybe +4 total). and so on. I don't know if that would be unbalancing or not, but I have been thinking for a while about trying something like that.

Certainly possible. I don't tend to have "standardised" bonuses, more situational ones - for exampled I can see 5 ranks in Profession (Slaver) giving you a synergy bonus to Appraise - when you are appraising slaves etc.

Iron_Chef said:

As an alternative to a flat bonus (which results in no benefit for intermediary steps), I'd consider using something akin to complementary skills in Hero. Here's how I'd do it in Conan/d20:

The PC Rogue is trying to deal with a Fence to get the most for his loot. This seems like a contested roll. I'd let each side first roll their Appraise skill at a flat DC to estimate the value of the items to the Fence. Then I would go with the contested roll of Diplomacy to see how favored the deal went to either party, but once the Rogue had rolled his #, I would have the Fence roll an additional roll for his Profession skill to see if it exceed the Rogue's # - if it did, I would add the amount it exceeded the Rogue's # by to the Fence's final Diplomacy roll that would be compared with the Rogue's roll.

Perhaps that example is a bit complex, being a contested roll though. Here's a simpler example.

The PC Rogue is trying to pick a lock, and has both Open Lock and Profession/Craft (whichever it is): Locksmith. Say the DC of the Lock to be picked is 20. I would have the Profession/Craft rolled for first, and to the extend it exceeded the target DC, that # would be added as a complementary bonus to the Open Lock skill roll attempt. For example:

PC Rogue:
- Profession/Craft: Locksmith, Rank 6
- Open Locks, Rank 4
- Trying to pick DC 20 lock
- First roll d20 for Locksmith skill, a 17 on the die, plus 6 Ranks, equals 23. This exceeds the lock DC by 3, so "3" is the complementary bonus to the Open Locks roll
- Second roll d20 for Open Locks skill, a 14 on the die, plus 4 Ranks, plus 3 complementary bonus, equals 21, which exceeds the target DC, and the lock is opened!

This way, whenever the Profession/Craft/Knowledge skill pertains to an activity the character is doing, they can use it to try to provide a complementary bonus to their skill, as well as use it for general knowledge rolls. Note, I would allow very broad uses for general knowledge-type rolls, but probably be fairly narrow for what it can be used for as a complementary skill, i.e., not allow someone to take Profession: Rogue, and use it to boost Climbing, Hide, Stealth, Open Lock, Disable Device, etc.! Rather, they would take Profession: Cutpurse, which would complement Sleight of Hand, or Profession: Cat Burglar which would complement Climbing and maybe Stealth, but limited to both in urban settings.

slaughterj said:
Iron_Chef said:

As an alternative to a flat bonus (which results in no benefit for intermediary steps), I'd consider using something akin to complementary skills in Hero. Here's how I'd do it in Conan/d20:

The PC Rogue is trying to deal with a Fence to get the most for his loot. This seems like a contested roll. I'd let each side first roll their Appraise skill at a flat DC to estimate the value of the items to the Fence. Then I would go with the contested roll of Diplomacy to see how favored the deal went to either party, but once the Rogue had rolled his #, I would have the Fence roll an additional roll for his Profession skill to see if it exceed the Rogue's # - if it did, I would add the amount it exceeded the Rogue's # by to the Fence's final Diplomacy roll that would be compared with the Rogue's roll.

Perhaps that example is a bit complex, being a contested roll though. Here's a simpler example.

The PC Rogue is trying to pick a lock, and has both Open Lock and Profession/Craft (whichever it is): Locksmith. Say the DC of the Lock to be picked is 20. I would have the Profession/Craft rolled for first, and to the extend it exceeded the target DC, that # would be added as a complementary bonus to the Open Lock skill roll attempt. For example:

PC Rogue:
- Open Locks, Rank 4
- First roll d20 for Locksmith skill, a 17 on the die, plus 6 Ranks, equals 23. This exceeds the lock DC by 3, so "3" is the complementary bonus to the Open Locks roll
- Second roll d20 for Open Locks skill, a 14 on the die, plus 4 Ranks, plus 3 complementary bonus, equals 21, which exceeds the target DC, and the lock is opened!

This way, whenever the Profession/Craft/Knowledge skill pertains to an activity the character is doing, they can use it to try to provide a complementary bonus to their skill, as well as use it for general knowledge rolls. Note, I would allow very broad uses for general knowledge-type rolls, but probably be fairly narrow for what it can be used for as a complementary skill, i.e., not allow someone to take Profession: Rogue, and use it to boost Climbing, Hide, Stealth, Open Lock, Disable Device, etc.! Rather, they would take Profession: Cutpurse, which would complement Sleight of Hand, or Profession: Cat Burglar which would complement Climbing and maybe Stealth, but limited to both in urban settings.

Sounds reasonable, although personally I prefer to keep the number of die rolls to a minimum and this is adding an extra level of complexity. But if it works for you go with it!

Iron_Chef said:

Okay, revised 'em.

5 ranks in Profession (Fence) gives you a +2 synergy bonus to Appraise (stolen objects) and Bluff (Haggle).

5 ranks in Profession (Smuggler) gives you a +2 synergy bonus to Appraise (black market trade goods) and Bluff (Haggle or Lie about smuggled goods).

5 ranks in Profession (Slaver) gives you a +2 synergy bonus to Apraise (slaves), Bluff (Haggle), and Intimidate.

Phil said:
slaughterj said:
Iron_Chef said:

PC Rogue:
- Open Locks, Rank 4

Sounds reasonable, although personally I prefer to keep the number of die rolls to a minimum and this is adding an extra level of complexity. But if it works for you go with it!

Generally there would only be 1 additional roll, and given we're talking single d20s, that doesn't make for much to worry about. I have a couple of problems with the 5 Ranks = synergy bonus:
1. Only 5 Ranks are rewarded, there's no sliding scale
2. You have to remember what adds to what, often

slaughterj said:
Phil said:
slaughterj said:

PC Rogue:
- Open Locks, Rank 4

Generally there would only be 1 additional roll, and given we're talking single d20s, that doesn't make for much to worry about. I have a couple of problems with the 5 Ranks = synergy bonus:
1. Only 5 Ranks are rewarded, there's no sliding scale
2. You have to remember what adds to what, often

Both of those comments are true however you still need to remember which other skill you need to roll in each situation - so there is just as much to remember.

I am also not suggesting lots of synergy bonuses but applying one WHEN it seems appropriate - ie. the Slaver Appraising slaves but not when looking at gemstones. Even if you went with the fixed synergy bonuses you tend to write them on your character sheet anyway.

As for the only rewarding 5 ranks you are quite correct, there is no sliding scale - in the same way that there are no other sliding scale synergy bonuses in the d20 rules.

Having said all that, I don't really want to argue the merits of either system. I have tried to keep mine similar to that of the core d20 rules - while rewarding characters who choose to take ranks in the Profession skill. I can see the merits of yours but as I tend to try and minimise dice rolling to a certain extent (especially on skill checks) your slightly more complicated system doesn't suit me in particular.

OI! While I must admit that it's sometimes fun to debate minutia -- this really goes a bit far :?

More than likely my PC's interactions with Merchants or other minor role players will be role played with little regard for stats or skills. If I feel that a check is in order i'll simply ask the PCs to roll and if it's suitable high, I'll just assume success.

Quick: follow this link for a more interesting discussion . . .

Back