Conan Plans Unveiled - Deepest Apologies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Azgulor said:
Some people don't like d20. I get it. Some people's one true game is RuneQuest, or their flavor-of-the-month is Savage Worlds. I get it. But the constant whine about OGL games is making me puke. It's no different than if I start posting in every RuneQuest thread how a licensed property would be better served under a Powered by GURPS treatment.

<end of rant>

As for the fate of the OGL RPG & perhaps license...it's as likely as any other scenario. It's certainly not the one I'd prefer.

If the Conan license abandons the current OGL game, I abandon future purchases as well. (With the possible exception of a Pathfinder-ized version of a Conan OGL game.)

QFT

Sorry CPI, but if you give the Conan license to another game company, I don't care who it is, you'll not be getting repeat RPG business from the 5 people involved in my game. And Azgulor, you should totally troll those other game sites. Give those bastards a taste of their own medicine. Don't forget to be condescending and talk about what a bad system X game is and how it's ridiculous that they'd choose to play X game instead of d20.

flatscan said:
Amaril said:
You're welcome. :roll:

Stay classy troll! :p
My post is not one of a troll. I have a personal opinion that if a Savage Worlds version of the Conan RPG were to be done by any publisher, Pinnacle would be the best publisher to do it. They know the Savage Worlds system's design principles and have experience with Solomon Kane, which is a solid RPG product based on REH's work. It's my opinion that they'd be able to capture the feel of a Savage World of Conan RPG better than anyone else.

Obviously, CPI also has concerns regarding the quality of Mongoose's Conan products as stated above. If Mongoose were the only company allowed to produce such a product, I'd support Mongoose, but that's no longer the case. CPI has made it clear that they plan to accept proposals from any RPG publisher interested in the license. As such, it's perfectly fair to discuss the possibility of a preferred licensee.

And for the record, I'm not the one who threw out the eye rolls first.

Amaril said:

Dude, the eye rolls because that was one of the most tasteless posts I've seen on a game companies boards. If you wanted to post that on rpg.net or something I'd have no problem with it. But posting on the Mongoose board...well, if I was a Mongoose employee I'd be insulted.

flatscan said:
Amaril said:

Dude, the eye rolls because that was one of the most tasteless posts I've seen on a game companies boards. If you wanted to post that on rpg.net or something I'd have no problem with it. But posting on the Mongoose board...well, if I was a Mongoose employee I'd be insulted.
You have to have thick skin to work in the RPG industry. It's not a personal attack to Mongoose; it's a personal opinion related to the topic in this thread.

I understand you're defensiveness for Mongoose as a company, but to call someone a troll for expressing a dissenting opinion is just a display of intolerance.

It's not like I'm saying Mongoose would have done a crappy job with a Savage World of Conan RPG. In fact, I had contacted them inquiring about it before.

Again, to reiterate, it's my opinion that Pinnacle understands the Savage Worlds system better than Mongoose. That is the key qualifier for me, and as stated before, they also have a decent handle of REH's style. That's not to say they have a better grasp of it than Mongoose.

Again, my post is not to say anything bad about Mongoose. I'm not trolling these boards posting "Mongoose sucks! Pinnacle Rules!"

Amaril said:
flatscan said:
Amaril said:
You're welcome. :roll:

Stay classy troll! :p
Obviously, CPI also has concerns regarding the quality of Mongoose's Conan products as stated above. If Mongoose were the only company allowed to produce such a product, I'd support Mongoose, but that's no longer the case. CPI has made it clear that they plan to accept proposals from any RPG publisher interested in the license. As such, it's perfectly fair to discuss the possibility of a preferred licensee.

Based on what was posted by CPI, spot on.

ryhopewood said:
The CPI post has been rather enlightening. I certainly agree with the point about "quality issues". Mongoose has always had great licences (e.g. Conan, Babylon 5) but for me has never quite delivered the consistent quality that I wanted. Maps have always been a particular bugbear of mine - basically they are consistently awful.

Compared to ICE's Middle Earth or Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu, the quality of the Conan supplements have been a poor cousin. I wonder whether CPI have taken a look at what PEG INC have achieved with Solomon Kane and compared this with second edition.

Vincent and his writing has kept the Conan RPG afloat for a while but he is freelance and was the main writer for Solomon Kane RPG too.

'Vincent...was the main writer for Solomon Kane too'?!

I bet Paul Wade-Williams would have something to say about that!

As far as Mongooses Conan being a poor cousin, no, thats not the case. Chaosium put out pretty much crap for a good while under the guise of support for CoC, they have got their act together again, but theres a lot of back catalogue which aint too purdy.

Iron Crowns MERP supplements dont hold a candle to the Atlantean ed of Conan. Name me ONE decent scenario for MERP, and I'll take what I said back. But I bet you cant. I have all of the MERP stuff, and its pretty boring in parts.

Lets not trample all over this forum by saying this or that company would do it better. Ok, it may go to Pinnacle, I doubt it, if theres a bidding war. Would I be happy with that? It would be ok, I suppose. SW isnt my favourite system, and I actually prefer and admire D20s staying power and completeness over SW. There would be one nice book, I bet, followed by two slim scenario books. Fantastic. :roll:

WOTC? Theyd buy it and bury it in a desert somewhere, because thats what they do to competition.

SJG have had their shot with Conan.

Green Ronin dont have the cash to support it properly.

Im going to give Mongoose a round of applause here. Particularly for their earlier Conan stuff. Its a fact of life that excellence cant be maintained forever, but Mongoose did a good job, and it was great in parts. And Im going to be playing Mongooses Conan until something better comes along. (That doesnt include my RQ campaign, of course, RQ is eternally great).

Azgulor said:
Amaril said:
Azgulor, I don't think Troll66 is necessarily for Runequest either. :)

Runequest was used as an example.
Because Runequest is Mongoose's latest system of choice. The point was that D20 might not be the best market.

It make some sense if you think about it. Why else would you split up your resources for three different markets if D20 was still going strong? Those other three markets would have to show that they are more viable together than the D20 market is alone. Mongoose obviously sees a rise in Savage Worlds and Runequest, and either a stagnation (no climb) or decline in the D20 market.

Amaril said:
Azgulor said:
Amaril said:
Azgulor, I don't think Troll66 is necessarily for Runequest either. :)

Runequest was used as an example.
Because Runequest is Mongoose's latest system of choice. The point was that D20 might not be the best market.

It make some sense if you think about it. Why else would you split up your resources for three different markets if D20 was still going strong? Those other three markets would have to show that they are more viable together than the D20 market is alone. Mongoose obviously sees a rise in Savage Worlds and Runequest, and either a stagnation (no climb) or decline in the D20 market.

I dont know why your so amazed at the reaction. Mongoose are in the process of (possibly) losing their Conan licence, and you post on a MONGOOSE CONAN BOARD (!), that you think Pinnacle would do a great job of it!

Nil points, man.

Amaril said:
You have to have thick skin to work in the RPG industry. It's not a personal attack to Mongoose; it's a personal opinion related to the topic in this thread.

I understand you're defensiveness for Mongoose as a company, but to call someone a troll for expressing a dissenting opinion is just a display of intolerance.

This will be my last post on your post as we are quickly derailing the thread. It is your opinion Pinnacle should get the license. Great, fine. It is my opinion you expressing your opinion on this particular board is in very poor taste. Mongoose has made some great products for the Conan line with a ton of support (40+ products) and saying on these boards after years of working on these fine products the license should just be given to your favorite game company...sorry man, if you can't tell how distasteful that is, well, there's nothing further to say.

For the record, Pinnacle hopes Matt and the gang are able to work something out. I know they put a ton of work into the line and should be proud of their incredible output.

Shane Hensley
Pinnacle

PEGShane said:
For the record, Pinnacle hopes Matt and the gang are able to work something out. I know they put a ton of work into the line and should be proud of their incredible output.

Shane Hensley
Pinnacle

Decent man. I bought your Fields of Honour, you know!

PEGShane said:

Shane Hensley
Pinnacle

We hope so too Shane - Mongoose have come a long way in a reasonably short time. It would certainly be a boost to the SW line too.

Shane's support for a Mongoose SW Conan game is very encouraging and welcome in my humble opinion. No doubt Pinnacle would have a keen interest in it succeeding too (also sounded unlikely that Pinnacle would bid for the license - although all is fair in love and business should Mongoose not persue the SW option in the future).

Matt has said they could walk away from Conan: well maybe they will...or maybe they will have to choose: Runequest or Savage Worlds...or maybe they can still convince Paradox of the good business sense of doing both when the license comes up for grabs.

I doubt I will have much more to say on this topic. there comes a time when the conjecture and speculation loses its lustre and there is just an old man with his love for tales from a long lost age (...and working out the eternal riddle of whats the best game sytem to use to retell them!).

This thread has been heavy 'n' heady stuff. Clearly passions for Mongoose and for Conan are stong. Long live Mongoose, Long live Conan.

Troll66

Thank you Shane, both your and Jay's unexpected posts made following this thread worthwhile. I'm unfamiliar with SW but then again I never played D20 until 1 ed. Conan came out either (AD&D in the 80's doesn't count), but I think that was a cool thing to do.
And considering what you came in the middle of- I appreciate it even more. Hopefully others will too.

Strangely, no one mentioned FFG yet...

If the Conan license abandons the current OGL game, I abandon future purchases as well.

Very bright answer...:roll:

This kind of sentence just shows the huge difference between the Conan fan and the D20 fan. I spit on D20 and bought nonetheless the complete range of the Mongoose Conan books. Maybe the fanboys should do the same before they criticize...

The real Howard fans around will be ready, whatever the next step will be.

I'll be there...

PY, I have played and replayed many of the MERP scenarios. And still love many of them.

I am not sure that my passion for Conan will lst as many years as it did for Middle Earth. But that is why we have many game systems out there. As a person who was wargaming before there was such a thing as an RPG, I like that there many system available.

Thanks Jay for the post - I was confident the future would be bright for the Conan RPG and your post confirms that future.

PEGShane said:

Shane Hensley
Pinnacle

Totally agree! Mongoose has been awesome for the Conan RPG - and this should only fire them up to not lose what they have built. I'm confident that Mongoose will not disappoint us long time fans even if that may mean a system change to RQ. I would still prefer Mongoose - to date the best Conan RPG ever! 8)

I wasn't going to get online and discuss this topic because I felt this subject of Conan going to Rune Quest or Savage World would eventually die down and people would start talking about other things. However the complete ignorance (not knowing) of some people is almost 'driving me to drink'.

I am tired of everyone thinking that just because a game company puts out a good product they are capable of doing Conan. In fact Mongoose has not been totally dedicated to the game in the last couple of years even though they put out really great products. Rune Quest? A great game, but who say's Conan will be better in this rules genre? Oh and don't get me started on Pinnacle Games. They put out the Solomon Kane Rpg, which was awesome I might add however how long ago was that? Two years? Hmmm...yeah I want a game company taking over Conan that comes out with practically nothing in rpg product in over two years.

Oh and by the way, does anyone know or know of Vincent Darlage? Why he's the 'shiznit' of everyting Conan. I have seen the message boards and almost everyone agree's with this. Did you know that Pinnacle Games hired him and Eric Rodriguez to write rpg supplements for the Solomon Kane game? Did you know they were complete and almost historical atlases full of accurate information on the 'awesome meter' at 9 or higher?

And did you know that after they finished a couple of these world reference books Pinnacle decided they were too historically accurate, too mature for Solomon Kane fans and too detailed. They wanted Vincent and Eric to 'dumb' them down? Vincent and Eric, for obvious reasons, basically said that wasn't possible and Pinnacle paid them a 'kill' fee to stop work.

So, for all you Pinnacle Fans, please stop saying that Pinnacle would do Conan right. You have the greatest writer of Conan being told that his stuff is too accuarate and detailed for the Solomon Kane game, what do you think they would do to Conan?

Now, on the bright side, I think Pinnacle Games Savage World system rocks! I think Mongoose's Rune Quest game is awesome. Please stop assuming that just because a game company does one game well that they will be experts in everything else.

Thanks,

The Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back