Conan illustrations

A

Anonymous

Hi!

Just a try...
:?:
Swal

Ontherun.jpg[img]

Oups... Sorry, it doesn't work! I will try later...

See you soon...

Swal

And this, I hope... :roll:

ontherun.jpg

I'm sorry if you see nothing, I have to improve my FTP undertsanding!

Swal

Hey! IT WORKS!!!

So, here a quick sketch about Conan. What do you think about it?

And here is a Stygian Priest...

[/img]http://perso.wanadoo.fr/swalc/Stygianpriest.jpg

Hi!

Thanks Red for the tip! I'm happy you like them... I grew up with Conan comics and maybe you can feel it through my artwork... :wink:

I will try to post more as soon as I can!

Swal

Swal, very nice and dynamic. I really love this. Somethings I want to pick at, cause that is the way I'm built. I can't help myself.:

Your Conan figure there has some major problems with his leg and foot. Shin is way too short, we can see the top of the foot to indicate how short. Folds like that don't happen til the ankle. And the swamp, or whatever, is not being sold to the viewer enough to justify covering the foot.

The arrows are too short. They are very close to the figure. Remember, an arrow has to be long enough for a man to pull the shaft to his ear, while his arm is outstretched to its fullest. Even a short shaft like a Comanche or Mongol arrow still has to be pulled to the shoulder. Right now, the arrows are about a forearm long.

Conan's sword is massive, as befitting a dude of such dynamic death dealing... but the pommel of the sword is dinky. I would have like to have seen a bit more weight to do what a pommel does, counterbalance. The dagger on the belt's haft is ridiculously thin... that thing would slip outta Conan's massive mitts.

This might seem like nitpicky b.s.... but when you are trying to sell fantasy, you got to ground its elements in the realm of believablity... that makes the fantastic all that more fantastic.

But really, awesome pencils. I'm nailing on some elements that I see wrong... but if you touched those up... this eminently publishable in my opnion.

Great pics man, raw and full off motion. Imo way better than the cartoon&colorful stuff they gonna use in the suplements.

Soda said:
Great pics man, raw and full off motion. Imo way better than the cartoon&colorful stuff they gonna use in the suplements.

Although Storn's imagery might not be everyone's style (I know I have my own preferences), comments like these are hardly positive. Although you compliment one guest's posted sketches, you do so at the expense of a registered member.

Perhaps explaining why you prefer it over Storn's samples might add more weight to your statement.

Hum... I'm stupid, the year is 2004! Critics from Storn are very true but I have to take a dictionary to get through his comments... Too hard for me to comprehend at the first glance. My written english is awful, I know... :lol:

Swal

Nice. The victim's head is smaller by quite a bit than Conan's...pygmie? But awesome movement in your pencils. Even in such a still figure. There is a sweep to your work that is really fun to look at.

I like your stuff too, Swal. It's very energetic. A suggestion though. How about drawing Conan in something other than his stereotypical fur underwear? I'd like to see you do something with him wearing pieces of armor, or maybe Turanian garb (turban, robes, etc.).

Also (and I'm just kidding around here!), this Conan looks a little chubby to me. Did he eat the poor fellow who's head he's holding? :wink:

If possible, could you post one of these inked?

The pencils are quite nice, and there is a good sweeping sort of energy associated with the loose bold pencils - but I am curious how your work might translate with the bold blacks and crisp edges you get from inking.

Have you done any professional illustration work before?

Hi!

Here is another quick sketch on Conan. It is just a detail of a bigger picture, Conan battling with picts or maybe demons...

Red Tulwar: yes, my Conan is a little chubby because it always seemed to me strange that during hyborian age you can find guys with terrific stomach muscles and so on. Maybe it is more "realistic"...

Jason: I work as an illustrator for several years and I have done a lot of black and white pictures for many rpg companies. I made two comics as well, and both were real flop! I was young, happy-go-lucky but I learnt so much! I live in France (Lyon) and I earn my living by drawing. I am going to ink one of these pictures this week, you should see the result on wednesday or thursday, I hope... :wink:
In the meantime, here is a picture that will allow you to see my inking style (I always work with a thin brush...). I made it in 2001.

See you.

Swal

ps: really sorry about my written english too...

Attack!.jpg

Faucheur.jpg

Hello!

I sent a portfolio to Mongoose with samples of my work about two weeks ago, but I don't know if they received it... :wink: I will try to get in touch with them in a few days.

I will try to post new Conan pictures on this thread if you want to see more. Maybe one of them will be in color...

See you later and thanks to all for the comments!!!

Swal

Back