[CONAN] Environmental Stat Modifiers

I was reading in one of the supplements, about a town I'm using as my PC's home village, that the people who live there are typically taller and more hardy than others, even when compared to other Cimmerians. Some believe this to be due to the blood of the Titans that Crom defeated there, soaking into the ground and mixing with the water and the earth a the food and such. The skeptics believe that it might be due to the abundance of fresh water wells, rich earth, plenty of game, etc.

I took that and ran with it a bit and declared that the PCs would get a Titan Bonus, which is either a +1 STR or a +1 CON, player's choice.

What about adding other environmental modifiers to your game? This could be used to differintiate your "sandbox".

For example, the racial modifiers in the game are already good enough for general purposes. But, let's say you set up your sandbox in Cimmeria, the way I have, where your game is focussed in one general location. You can use enviornmental modifiers like this to make groups different from others.

Maybe the more savage hill clan, who've been known to be cannibals in the winter, get a -1 CON but a +1 DEX and +1 STR (player's choice). Then, there's a southern bardic type, known for their stories, who get either a +1 WIS or a +1 CHA,due to their culture.

See where I'm going with this?

Thoughts?

Tell me bout their women's stats....

Please Don't!
Just Kidding, no more talk about gender, too sensitive of a subject.

Hmmm back to topic, I'm not sure I'm comfortable giving micro-regional modifiers on top of the base cultural modifiers, that stuff starts to stack very, very quickly.

I suppose if its really plausible, maybe, but even adding a +1 Str mod on top of the +2 Str mod base for Cimmerians, means that those villagers will be some of the strongest people in the entire world, which begs the question "why are these strong folk just hiding in their valley, when they could be enlarging their clan by raiding, wife-stealing, and absorbing other clans?" After all, Cimmeria is a place where incessant warfare and might makes right is common.

You could go the route of regional feats, like it's done in 3e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.
Actually, it's the route I would have preferred also in d20 Conan, since it's much easier mechanically, and much more flexible than having one pseudo-race for each region.

Spectator said:

Lordy, no. :)

I like rabindranath72's feat-based solution to this, nice. You could go for an extra 'Diehard' type feat instead of a straight stat bonus, maybe with a commensurate drop in dodge value or something.

To address Spectator's point, it could also be a fairly rare genetic-throwback deal, where only some of the populace benefits. This would explain why they haven't taken over the world, too, maybe generations might pass before a truely titanic clan member is born. There's a scenario right there.

I suppose the feat-based buff would have a very minor game influence. Could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending upon your viewpoint, but these stat bonus hacks do tend to stack up quickly.

Spectator said:

Please Don't!
Just Kidding, no more talk about gender, too sensitive of a subject.

But, it shouldn't be. It's a crying shame that people get their panties in a wad over discussion of GAME STATS for women.

Really. It's sad.

PrinceYyrkoon said:
I like rabindranath72's feat-based solution to this, nice. You could go for an extra 'Diehard' type feat instead of a straight stat bonus, maybe with a commensurate drop in dodge value or something.

Now, had you said something constructive like this instead of insulted everybody because, OH MY GOD, we were speaking of putting different game stats on women, we could have had a good discussion on the topic.

Instead, you had to act like a little...well, you know what you did and how you acted.

Supplement Four said:
Now, had you said something constructive like this instead of insulted everybody because, OH MY GOD, we were speaking of putting different game stats on women, we could have had a good discussion on the topic.

Instead, you had to act like a little...well, you know what you did and how you acted.

I'm sorry, SF, I find this totally unacceptable and abusive behaviour here.

[Moderator Mode]
Personally I am fed up of getting complaints about these threads. If you want to discuss game mechanics, do that, but don't bring your own personal haranguing matches into it.

Now you had better all start behaving or I'll lock this thread as well.
[/Moderator Mode]

LBH

Spectator said:
Just curious, mr. moderator, people are actually complaining to you?
That's just lame.

Sure he did. Why do you think LBH had to come in here and lock it?

Anyway, let's do as he says, forget about it, and move on.

Back