[CONAN] Chop, Bash, Pierce & Slash!!!

You have maybe noticed how in all my recent posts I've been trying to get inspiration from the Codex Martialis to improve my Conan rpg experience.
Now I think I (finally!) got to a Critical system which I like.

BENEFITS:
These are the main benefits of this new system:
- every weapon (even a knife) becomes dangerous with criticals (chance of triggering Massive Damage 20 pt).
- On the same time big weapons do not see their criticals over-increased.
- Criticals are now based more on the Damage Type than on weapon size. A bardiche will deal more damage than an hatchet in normal combat....but with a lucky strike (a Critical!) the difference is not that much.

PREMISE: NEW DAMAGE TYPES
To use this system we must forget the basic Conan/d20 damage type system (Bashing, Slashing, Piercing) but we use a different, more specific classification: Bashing, Slashing, Piercing and Chopping (which is specialized slashing, for example hatchets and machetes).

How does these different damage types work in reality?
- Piercing penetrate armours easily, but the dmg is not as great as slashing
- Bashing is based on kinetic transmission which does not break armour, but over-pass it.
- Chop penetrate less than Pierce, but deal more damage, but not as much as Slash.
- Slash does not penetrate well, but it can open terrible wounds.

Let's go back to rules and how we can change weapon dmg types.
Each Weapon gets a series of Atk types and a few Primary Atk types.
Which means there are multiple ways to hit with a weapon, but a few of these ways are more effective than others.
This is pretty realistic.
A broadsword can do thrust attacks (Pierce) but it is much more useful for Slashing and Chopping.
Examples (use the format Atk types / Primary Types)
Broadsword: SCP / SC
Poniard: SCP/SP
Battleaxe: C/C
Spear: SCP/P
As you can see the Broadsword is a more flexible weapon than a batteaxe. A Spear can be used for making slashing attacks ... but no as efficiently as with a sword.
A full list of atk types is given at the end of this post.

NEW RULE: CRITICALS by DAMAGE TYPE.
Every time you threat and then CONFIRM a critical, you can choose to do different damage according to the kind of attack used.
Calculate the damage as follows:
1) Roll basic damage
2) Use the crit multiplier (x2, x3, etc.) only for Damage modifiers (Str bonus, Specialization, etc..)
3) add Crit Type dices in this way:
- 1 dice if you used a non-primary atk type
- 2 dice if the crit multiplier is x2
- 3 dice if the crit multiplier is x3
- 4 dice if the crit multiplier is x4 or more
The Atk type determine which Crit Dice you use, but also a modification to AP as follows:
- Piercing = AP: +3 ; Dice Type: 1d8
- Bashing = AP: +2 ; Dice Type: 1d8 + Stun (optional, see below)
- Chopping = AP: +1 ; Dice Type: 1d10
- Slashing = AP: +0 ; Dice Type: 1d12

EXAMPLES:
a Broadsword (Dmg 1d10; Crit 19-20/x2; AP 3) can choose between 2 different primary criticals and 1 non-primary critical:
Primary:
- Slashing: dmg 1d10 + 2d12 + (dmg multipliers x2); AP 3
- Chopping: dmg 1d10 + 2d10 + (dmg multipliers x2); AP 4
Non-Primary:
- Piercing: dmg 1d10 + 1d8 + (dmg multipliers x2); AP 6

a Poniard (Dmg 1d6; Crit 19-20/x2; AP 1) can choose between 2 different primary criticals and 1 non-primary critical:
Primary:
- Slashing: dmg 1d6 + 2d12 + (dmg multipliers x2); AP 1
- Piercing: dmg 1d6 + 2d8 + (dmg multipliers x2); AP 4
Non-Primary:
- Chopping: dmg 1d6 + 1d10 + (dmg multipliers x2); AP 2

OPTION: LESS LETHAL CRITICALS:
My new system makes EVERY weapon a potential killing tool.
Does it looks too deadly?
If so, change the added dice as follows:
Non-primary Atk types do not add damage but still modify AP (or add Stun).
Primary Attacks modify damage as follows
x2 = +1 dice
x3= +2 dice
x4= +3 dice

ADDENDUM
This new system works well with my "Mastery Critical" rules: you threat a Crit if your atk roll is more than 20 pts.
An alternative could be: use the "less than lethal" rules above...but if you score both a normal Crit AND a Mastery Crit with the same atk roll you use my mortal system, rather than the "less lethal" Crits.

"STUN" (OPTIONAL CRITICAL BASHING ATTACKS)
This is an optional effect triggered by B criticals.
Bashing attacks are dangerous since they can leave you unconscious.
MECHANICS:
1. Roll Critical Damage as usual and check how much of it passes the Armour.
2. If any damage passes the Armour, consider only half (rounded down) of the resulting damage as real damage while the rest is non-lethal damage. If only 1 damage point is dealt that single point is considered non-lethal.
3. The victim must roll a Will or Fort Save (choose the best one) vs a DC equal to 10 + the non-lethal damage dealt. The results are as follow:
Succesful Save: No Effect.
Failed for 1-3 points: the victim is STUNNED for 1d6 round.
Failed for 4 point or more: the victim is UNCONSCIOUS and therefore Helpless for 1d6 rounds.
NOTES:
- In case the applied damage results also in a Massive Damage threat range (20 pts, including both lethal and non-lethal damage as per normal Conan rules) the rules for Massive Damage Saves still applies and the check must be done after the BASH check, even if the victim survived the "Bash" save. Check CONAN for how to deal with Massive Damage triggered by non-lethal damage.

LIST OF WEAPONS with ATk Types / Primary atks

SIMPLE WEAPONS
Gauntlet: B/B
Unarmed: B/B
Dagger: P/P
Hatchet: C/C
Knife: SP/P
Knife, Yuetshi: SP/P
Stiletto: P/P
Club: B/P
Mace, Heavy & Light: B/B
Hunting & WAR: SCP/P
Staff: B/B
Bow, Hunting: P/P
Javelin: P/P

MARTIAL WEAPONS
Axe: CB/C
Knife, Ghanata: S/S
Pommel: B/B
Poniard: SCP/SP
Sword, short: SCP/SP
Battleaxe: C/C
Broadsword: SCP/SC
Cutlass: SCP/C
Knife, Zhaibar: SCP/SP
Lance, Heavy and Light: P/P
Scimitar: SCP/S
Sword, Arming: SCP/CP
Bardiche: CP/C
Bill: C/C
Club, War: B/B
Pike: P/P
Pollaxe: BCP/CP
Sword, War: SCP/CP
Arbalest: P/P
Crossbow: P/P

EXOTIC WEAPONS
Sabre: SCP/SC
Whip: BS/BS
Greatsword: CP/C
Tulwar: SC/C
Bow (Hyrkanian, Shemite, Bossonian): P/P

ANIMAL AND MONSTER NATURAL WEAPONS
GameMaster's judgement rules.
Slams should have: B/B
Claws should have: S/S
Bites should have S/S or P/P according to the kind of bite.
Piercing and Grasping bites should have P/P (wolves, tigers, snakes, spiders, sabretooths)
Slashing bites (S/S) should be for the very few animals with razor-blade teeth made for easily taking whole chunks of flesh like for Sharks and piranhas.

Why wouldn't a battle-axe be a Chopping and bashing weapon? If you fail to hit the axe blade, you could still have the weapon do damage as a club?

Also aren't chopping and bashing really they same?
The damage is just more localized on the axe-blade than on the club-head, but the same principles apply of kinetic transference.

Good Point! I did that for axes, but I forgot doing it for Hatchets and Battleaxes.
So, look at this:

Hatchet: BC/C
Axe: BC/C
Battleaxe: BC/C

Axes & co are not primarly meant for bashing...but you can do bash damage if you like with the back of the blade.

Regarding the difference between Bashing and Chopping I think we should keep them separated.
"Bashing" includes also maces and clubs.
"Chopping" is something in the middle between Bashing and Slashing.

It's a rough kind of slashing.
Some very rough kinds of swords with not good edges also makes more "Chopping" than "Slashing" damage.

Think about a butcher's work on a cow or sheep.
When he tries to soften a heavy muscle with a wooden mallet he is doing Bashing Damage.
When he "cuts" a bone in two with a thick cleaver in single, heavy stroke he is doing chooping damage.
When he "cuts" the meat in a more refined way with a knife to make steaks he is doing slashing damage.

Let's think in this way:
BASH: clubs, hammers
CHOP: axes, machetes
SLASH: scimitars, swords.

This is a simplified scheme.
In the "Codex" system weapons can do more than one type of Dmg (e.g. Broadswords are good for both chopping and slashing).

I'm discussing these systems not just here in this forum but also with my players.
The main benefit of the system above (First Post) is that criticals become more linked to the concept of realistic damage (shortswords can kill now!).
Bardiches are slightly less lethal wth my system...but all of the other weapons are definitively more mortal.
I like this way.

HOWEVER, somebody complains that in this way the Conan system is over-changed since I'm obviously substituting a critical system with a new critical system.
If you are among these, I suggest here another proposal.
In this new proposal the critical rules are not changed....new rules are just ADDED to the old rules.
This makes the whole system "slightly" more deadly, but not that much.

PROPOSAL of CRITICAL RULE SET no.2 (Additive system)

1) Roll critical damage as normal.

2) Add the following "ADDITIVE EFFECTS" according to what kind of attack you use.
PIERCING: AP +3; dmg + 1d6
BASHING: AP +2; dmg + 1d6; Stun
CHOPPING: AP +1; dmg + 1d8
SLASHING: dmg +1d10

3) If you use a kind of attack which is not "primary" you must choose wether to use the normal critical OR the additive effect.
You cannot use both (you add them only in the case of primary attacks).

What do you think of this system?
Do you prefer System no.1 or System no.2?
In the case of system no.2, do you like it as it is, or do you want it less deadly (dmg 1d4/1d6/1d8) or more deadly (dmg 1d8/1d10/1d12)????

Back