Conan and the Daughters of Midora

thulsa

Mongoose
This is a short review/rant about the so-called "one-shot" from Dark Horse, a Conan story called "The Daughters of Midora". The story is set a few years later in Conan's career than the main storyline of Dark Horse's new Conan comic.

But oh boy, is this one-shot a stinker :( . It is a return to the bland, mediocre Conan stories that also plagued Marvel's output the last few years (after the golden age of Thomas/Buscema collaboration ended).

The story starts off, predictably, in a tavern, where Conan kills a few city guards; gets thrown into prison, where Conan accepts to undertake a quest in return for his freedom; then Conan and his companions are attacked by a horde of blue-skinned orcs (WTF?!); and then there's a brief fight against a big, stegosaur-like monster. And that's more or less it.

There are few, if any, plot twists along the way, and it all reads like one of a dozen other (boring) Conan stories which climax with a big monster fight.

The plot also fails to explain who these blue-skinned orcs are, where they come from, and why they cooperate with the "wizard" Killver (a crybaby who gets decapitated without even putting up a fight...). Perhaps the biggest mystery is the fact that the stegosaur-monster is actually one of the daughters of Midora (another WTF?!); no explanation is given for this and the main characters (Conan and Hannah) seem to accept this weird fact without any reflection.

On the positive side, I found the artwork to be quite okay, especially some of the fight scenes where blood spatters and heads roll, giving these scenes a nice, savage energy and life. The cover is also pretty good, but nothing spectacular.

Rating: 2 out of 5 (would have been 1 out of 5 except for the artwork)

- thulsa

Those "orcs" are supposed to be zombies. The soldiers the king had previously sent against the wizard. the art is just bad.

The story is pretty generic.

Does anyone know if Dark Horse are planning to release the new comics as compilations and if so when ? I'd like to read them at some point ( as well as just getting them " for the collection " ) , but I'd prefer to have them in book form - more hard wearing and they look better on the shelf . Last time I checked on the Dark Horse site there was nothing about this , but I'd be grateful for any info .

The first story arc will be available as a 192 page hardcover on March 30 2005, the price will be $24.95.

No word on when a softcover version will be available.

Back