Conan AND King Kull FREE online resources

Iron_Chef

Mongoose
KULL
http://www.dodgenet.com/~moonblossom/kull.htm

CONAN
http://www.dodgenet.com/~moonblossom/Cgaze.htm

These sites has tons of information to help you run a Kull or Conan game. I'd posted about the Conan one before in my GM's thread (see sig, below), but the Kull one I just discovered and thought it worth sharing.

Enjoy!

Iron_Chef said:
KULL
http://www.dodgenet.com/~moonblossom/kull.htm

CONAN
http://www.dodgenet.com/~moonblossom/Cgaze.htm

These sites has tons of information to help you run a Kull or Conan game. I'd posted about the Conan one before in my GM's thread (see sig, below), but the Kull one I just discovered and thought it worth sharing.

Enjoy!
These pages exist at least since 1998. It is possible to use the Conan gazetteer there as a complement to the Road of Kings sourcebook but some info are sometimes in contradiction because Vincent Darlage and Dale Rippke, both notorious Conan scholars, have sometimes different minds on the matter due to the very small amount of description by Howard (many are only deductions).
But on a whole it is a great source.

By the way, Dale Rippke wrote several essays on the Mysteries of the Hyborian Age in the course of the years and he eventually had them published (http://my.lulu.com/content/51571).
In there, you'll find very pertinent comment about the origins of the Stygians, of the green stone Howard described in many places (on the Vilayet Sea, in Xuchotl and in the Western Ocean), the legendary race of Xaltotun, the most powerful mage of Ancient Acheron, what could have caused the cataclysm, the migration of the Hyborian tribe and many others.
An excellent ressource to the Hyborian Age and Conan RPG.

I find it interesting that condensed versions of several of my essays from THE HYBORIAN HERESIES ended up in ROAD OF THE KINGS and I didn't even rate a listing in the credits. Thanks for co-opting my stuff, guys...

Darkstorm said:
I find it interesting that condensed versions of several of my essays from THE HYBORIAN HERESIES ended up in ROAD OF THE KINGS and I didn't even rate a listing in the credits. Thanks for co-opting my stuff, guys...
Hi Dale. I was just trying to compensate for your "eviction" from Roads of Kings (which I regret) in promoting your Hyborian Heresies. I still didn't have the book but have gathered your essays in the course of the years.

I remember our argument on the topic "slavery in the Hyborian nations". I didn't know it was you by then.

Let me introduce myself: I'am the guy who translated your gazetteer some years ago after reorganizing it by nations like it was made in the Road of Kings sourcebook (but in which I have no direct or indirect contribution).

The reality is, I have mixed feelings about my theories appearing in ROAD OF THE KINGS.

On the one hand, it is a type of validation to see this stuff go mainstream.

On the other hand, I wish that they would have presented the entire Giant-King theory. They really only presented the contents of "Mysteries of Pre-Human Stygia", which contains a couple of problems that I fixed in the second look at the Giant-King theory, "Children of the Fallen". If they are going to co-opt my intellectual properties, the least they could do is to get them right... :wink:

Part of what annoys me about this is the way the theories on Acheron are described:
Giant-King Theory vs deCampian Theory
It should be either:
Giant-King Theory vs Lemurian Theory
Rippke's Theory vs deCamp's Theory
The way it is presented makes it look like the purposely took my name off of it. That's why I described it as having been co-opted.

I remember you. I always remember people who make intellegent points during a discussion. It's so very often not the case... :lol:

Darkstorm said:
The reality is, I have mixed feelings about my theories appearing in ROAD OF THE KINGS.

On the one hand, it is a type of validation to see this stuff go mainstream.

On the other hand, I wish that they would have presented the entire Giant-King theory. They really only presented the contents of "Mysteries of Pre-Human Stygia", which contains a couple of problems that I fixed in the second look at the Giant-King theory, "Children of the Fallen". If they are going to co-opt my intellectual properties, the least they could do is to get them right... :wink:

Part of what annoys me about this is the way the theories on Acheron are described:
Giant-King Theory vs deCampian Theory
It should be either:
Giant-King Theory vs Lemurian Theory
Rippke's Theory vs deCamp's Theory
The way it is presented makes it look like the purposely took my name off of it. That's why I described it as having been co-opted.:
It is hard anyway to discuss such topics in an RPG where most gamers can appreciate the setting but only fans love to get some insight in Howard's wonderful Hyborian and Thurian Ages.

Darkstorm said:
I remember you. I always remember people who make intellegent points during a discussion. It's so very often not the case... :lol:
Thanks for the compliment. In fact I learned a lot with your gazetteer, if only to set in my mind the different location of mountains and rivers without the need of a map; and acquisition of knowledge opens the doors to new knowledges.

Anyway your mysteries of the Hyborian Age are all the more pertinent as only Howard knew the origin of his world and the people living there. He gave some cues in many stories (not only the Conan or Kull stories) as to the origins of Picts for example. To look in depth at the prehistory of Howard is indeed not as easy to understand as a full written saga of today's writers.

Back