City Maps

At the risk of trying to teach some people to suck eggs, here are some (hopefully) simple ideas for producing city maps. I don't think it need necessarily be a major task, depending on the level of detail you want for your players.
I prefer to have a general map with major locations marked and some more detailed maps of the areas around those locations.
For a general map there are plenty of websites or historical atlases with ancient city plans or, alternatively, just find a city map of any long established European, Mayan, Asian or Middle Eastern city. The core of most old cities generally follows the ancient street plan. Many European sites are pretty higgledy-piggledy but some cultures put a bit more planning into their cities (ancient Peking's grid will be used by me as... surprize, surprize Paikang if players make it there).
Take the bits of street plan you like and either eye it in or trace it onto your own sheet of paper, you can mix and match from different sites. Add city walls if desired. For a general plan you can use colour codes for major thoroughfares and other features.
A more detailed map can be similarly based on more detailed bits of real street plans, it's up to you to decide the level of detail your players need.
OK, here's how I'm going about my own map of Shadizar. I've looked at the various maps in the core book and the Shadizar box, I've read the text. So what I know is that the city's sited not too far from mountainous terrain and that it began around a well used by traders. The original rulers wanted to control both these resources. Since then it's grown, it now contains various quarters for merchants, craftsmen and so on, as well as it's infamous Maul "The Desert".
How would the city have grown up? A bit of thought tells me that there's likely to be some high ground in places (we're near hills and mountains) so that's where the original castle, now palace, would be so as to control the trade below. Around that is the wealthy area that's developed over time. Meanwhile the caravan quarter is what will have stimulated the merchants and craftsmen to settle and develop so they'll be near each other, handy for getting new goods, supplies, raw materials.
There's a temple district - I'm placing it near the wealthy quarter. Most cities have a focus or two. The text tells me there are festivals. I know there are pilgrims. So we need a place where public festivities can occur, I'll have a plaza near the temple district and the wealthy district. It can also be a market area the rest of the year so it links the two previous areas with the merchant district.
There are four main gates, so four main thoroughfares - they'll lead to the plaza. I'm going to be cheeky here - the Spider god is the most impotant deity so my street plan is going to be a kind of crooked twisted web linking the main thoroughfares and districts.
What about the Maul? Well, where do the disposessed and squalid live? Where nobody else wants to - so I'll create an area between where the caravans arrive from the South and the better off areas to the North and abutting the merchant areas (all the better placed to steal from).
All that may seem a little long winded but I could just have easily got a map of London or York, got the street plan orientated how I fancy, copied some bits, designated my districts and drawn a wall around.
If I want more detail, all I need do now is draw some more detailed streets on sheets for each district so that I can key in places mentioned in the text and add my own.
I don't think it has to take too long to do (it's easier to do than describe). Just bear in mind what you see on maps of well established cities. Some generic "main road" or "alleyway" street outlines on grid paper might be handy if you or your players want more detail for combat situations.

Pharoah Kromium said:
For a general map there are plenty of websites or historical atlases with ancient city plans or, alternatively, just find a city map of any long established European, Mayan, Asian or Middle Eastern city.

I use this site - some of the maps themselves are of such good quality that you want to write adventures around them!

http://historic-cities.huji.ac.il/historic_cities.html

Mayhem said:
Pharoah Kromium said:
For a general map there are plenty of websites or historical atlases with ancient city plans or, alternatively, just find a city map of any long established European, Mayan, Asian or Middle Eastern city.

I use this site - some of the maps themselves are of such good quality that you want to write adventures around them!

http://historic-cities.huji.ac.il/historic_cities.html

Both great sites, thanks for putting the links up Mayhem!

Pharoah Kromium said:
If I want more detail, all I need do now is draw some more detailed streets on sheets for each district so that I can key in places mentioned in the text and add my own.
I don't think it has to take too long to do (it's easier to do than describe).

No, it isn't easier to do than describe. It's tedious, with little reward. I'd rather do that on the fly, if I must.

Just bear in mind what you see on maps of well established cities. Some generic "main road" or "alleyway" street outlines on grid paper might be handy if you or your players want more detail for combat situations.

Those would be a great resource. Does anybody know where you could find something like that online (or in print)? May I suggest Mongoose add something like that to Messantia, if possible?

sbarrie said:
Pharoah Kromium said:
I don't think it has to take too long to do (it's easier to do than describe).

No, it isn't easier to do than describe. It's tedious, with little reward. I'd rather do that on the fly, if I must.

Sorry, I really meant the initial bit was reasonably quick, adding lots of detail can take time.
Each to their own but I find it worthwhile for a place that's going to feature a lot in the character's lives.

I just thought I'd add two of my favorite city and map sites to this thread.

A Giambattista Nolli map of Rome, c. 1748, can be found at the UC Berkely library page. I've found that plate 6 is really useful for generic street plans for a random city encounter.

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/EART/maps/nolli.html

The Perry-Castenada Library at the University of Texas has a fantastic collection of maps that can be downloaded. Check out the historical map section. Some of the Baedeker city maps can be traced or redrawn for use in a campaign.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/index.html

For people who use Fractal Mapper 7 - The Fool at Ancient Awakenings did some tools for creating lines of random buildings, city walls, and groves of trees, this has made making cities a whole lot easier for me, you can find it Here

I place streets, canals, and rivers, then add the buildings along them, it all ends up looking fairly organic, and once placed you can move or delete any buildings that you feel don't belong. City maps now take less than an hour, and make a fair amount of sense when done.

Mind you, you have to have Fractal Mapper 7, but I find that I have used the program a lot more since he created this tool. Send him a thank you if you use it, I think that his putting the tool up for use was a nice thing.

The Auld Grump

The Fantasy Village Generator makes everything, map, people, etc. It's based on Katherine Kerr's Deverry books, so it might not be right for everyone.

The Workshop has a couple of maps. Despite the promise of more, I've yet to see it updated.

The Theban Mapping Project is an academic project to make a database of Thebes and its surroundings.

You can find lots of church plans online at the Incorporated Church Building Society's website.

There are Romanesque and Gothic Architecture plans at Rice.

Finally, someone's done up the Lankhmar Geomorphs from the old TSR supplement as gifs and put them online.

I created a map of Khorshemish based on the descriptions given in The Scarlet Citadel for my Adventures in Koth campaign. It was fairly quick to do, using MS Paint. It serves as a focal point for the PC's to look at and I can expand locations as needed. I appreciate that not everyone has plenty of spare time (I don't; most of this is done late at night), but drawing maps of cities, ruins, tombs, dungeons, islands etc; surely this is one of the pleasures of being a GM?

and what about the good old pencil and paper on big mapsheet (22'x34' with hexagones), using some colouring pencils and/or felt-tip pens and/or Stabylos (there are lot of choices) and using Rotring pencil for names (rivers, cities, etc).
That's what I used when I made my own (board-) wargames.
I am no professional but with some time, work and carefulness, one can do pretty looking maps. :D

The King said:
and what about the good old pencil and paper on big mapsheet (22'x34' with hexagones), using some colouring pencils and/or felt-tip pens and/or Stabylos (there are lot of choices) and using Rotring pencil for names (rivers, cities, etc).
That's what I used when I made my own (board-) wargames.
I am no professional but with some time, work and carefulness, one can do pretty looking maps. :D

its how I do my maps and they are something that gives me lots of fun even if I am the only one who sees it :shock:

This is a link to a map I made, though its not really finished and never will be.

http://www.geocities.com/nashae987/GsCMap.jpg

(Be warned, its quite big)

Back