Character Generator

Could you add an option to change the characteristics at the end of the generation (and before, too)?
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.
The characteristics are determined randomly. Then, if the sum of all characteristics is less than 80 the whole process is repeated. That latter part was included to avoid really bad rolling.

What exactly do you wish ?

To be able to dedicate a certain rolled value to a specific characteristic ? First off, there the issue with INT and SIZ since they are 2D6+6 rather than 3D6, i.e. the average is higher. It would be "wrong" (in my eyes) to be able to re-distribute that value to another characteristic. Also, you need to make shure that both SIZ and INT are at least 8 for the same reason.

Do you want to grant a "GM-bonus" of a couple of points to be allocated as the player wishes ? And to be able to this both before and after the skill choice process ?

This sounds like very specific custom-tailoring.
Please elaborate.
Thanks

You could add the option to write manually the value of each characteristic. At the end of the character generation you can see the sheet. Then, at the left of the table you can see your characteristics (SIZ, STR...) When I change those values, the abilities remain unchanged (only combat values change when you modify the STR). Could you add this option to see the changes "on the fly"?
Also, when you end the character sheet, cultural background is always "barbarian".

You could add the option to write manually the value of each characteristic
I could, yes, but that would be against the rules, right ?
If I find the time I may include all options in the rulebook, i.e. Random Roll, in order (which is currently implemented, albeit with the “minimum sum of 80”-advantage), Random Roll, Assign and Points Build
Given the number of downloads of this file (I think 20 or so downloaded this file, so I suppose 2-4 are actually using it, the others were simply interested in the implementation), the interest is not too high, so this will take some time, especially since I want to make the printable charsheet more “appealing” (like as in this thread)

When I change those values, the abilities remain unchanged
The routines do not allow later changes to characteristic values to have an effect on your skills (or attributes). If you use this tool as a continuing character sheet any changes will have to be put in manually. Thus, if you change a characteristic you will have to manually change all relevant skills and attributes (btw: this includes hitpoints !).

only combat values change when you modify the STR
Which is a mistake and has been corrected !
This simply indicated the basic values, there was (and will be) no change of actual combat styles’ values.

Could you add this option to see the changes "on the fly"?
It’s important to note that this tool is macro-based (and also – perhaps more important - user form-based) and not formula based. There are only very few formulas in the actual file (all of them on the “Tables” sheet), which is why this file is reasonably small (i.e. < 700kB).
I used to make these kind of tools formula-based but then you go beyond 2MB before you can blink your eyes and each single push of a button starts off the whole calculations again, which – with 2MB-files – causes a lot of irritation. Well, at least with my old computer.
Furthermore, a formula-based sheet bears quite a risk that a user may accidently change something (i.e. a formula) which can only be redone with a major effort if not done immediately after the occurrence. Yes, you can lock each and every cell and sheet, but then you need to juggle all kinds of protect/unprotect/hide/show routines etc., which IMHO really is a pain in the a… since it takes a hell lot of exactitude.
The routines do allow an update of all the skills after each step (i.e. choice of background and profession), for the free points, however, you must use your own mathematical resources.

when you end the character sheet, cultural background is always "barbarian"
Another error you’ve found. Has been corrected in my own version, when there’s more to update I will upload it. But really, you can just overwrite that field.

Unfortunately, the tool is only useful for initial creation of characters, it is not intended to serve as an ongoing campaign tool, sorry, that’s beyond its scope.
Gee, I would love to do something like that, but there are really far too many variables involved here. E.g. you’d need to create a whole database of all kinds of cults. Even now, it is not possible to guarantee that a Priest actually has all cult skills at 30%, which is actually obligatory for him to be a pious member of the cult. Thus, it is absolutely necessary to have the GM present.
“Your Glorantha will vary”… and it’s impossible to include everything… or even most of it.

This tool still has the aspiration to be generic enough to be useful for a broad clientele (even though I must admit that Glorantha is obviously the chosen setting !)… anything more would be custom-tailoring to a specific need… I’m sorry to say that you need to do that yourself.

Well, on re-reading the last sentence it really sounds harsh, which really wasn’t intended, but I hope you catch my drift. In fact, I certainly hope you are not offended by my “attitude”.

To be plain and honest (I usually am), I’m having some trouble seeing the purpose of your wish. Why would you want to be able to adjust each and every characteristic and observe the result on the attributes and chosen skills if not for pure min-maxing ? Surely each of your characters will then have CHA13 (that one additional IR is not to be underestimated !)… and SIZ and CON just so that they reach the next Hitpoint improvement… and STR and DEX just enough to use this or that weapon… and INT and DEX to get those 3 CAs. Do you really want that ? … As you may guess, I’m not really a friend of min-maxing.

Denalor said:
You could add the option to write manually the value of each characteristic
I could, yes, but that would be against the rules, right ?

To be plain and honest (I usually am), I’m having some trouble seeing the purpose of your wish. Why would you want to be able to adjust each and every characteristic and observe the result on the attributes and chosen skills if not for pure min-maxing ? Surely each of your characters will then have CHA13 (that one additional IR is not to be underestimated !)… and SIZ and CON just so that they reach the next Hitpoint improvement… and STR and DEX just enough to use this or that weapon… and INT and DEX to get those 3 CAs. Do you really want that ? … As you may guess, I’m not really a friend of min-maxing.
No, not min-maxing, neither I am against the rules. Not all players are human. Someone could be an aldryami, or a duck. And no one of this races uses the same stats that a human. So, it could help for these cases.
And, remember, a human character can allocate 80 points freely, a roll is not mandatory.
Anyway, the character sheet is very good. Congratulations.

a human character can allocate 80 points freely
You're right, if you allow the Points Build option. As mentioned above, I will try to implement this sometime, but don't expect anything within... let's say... a month ?

Not all players are human. Someone could be an aldryami, or a duck
Aha, I see your point :idea: .
As long as I can remember I've been playing humans, even in systems where they were obviously disadvantaged (e.g. the old Warhammer Roleplaying Game). Also, since playing Palladium back in the old days (gosh, that would be some... what... 20/25 years back ?), where you had a multitude of races which - characteristics-wise - were far superior - or just too "weird" (Wolfen, Changelings, etc.) - to humans, I sort of "disallowed" any but the most basic (Tolkien-like, i.e. Humans, Halflings, Elves and Dwarves) races.... And I never actually considered that one might be interested in playing those races you mention in Glorantha, I'm all for the Orlanthi stuff, you see :wink:
So perhaps I am a bit biased and thus didn't consider at all the possibility to include different races.
Thing is: I'm not sure if I could take the values in RQII core book, the elf shown there clearly is no aldryami and I'm not sure whether taking the MRQI-stats would be still valid.
So, I'm afraid that I must tell you that I can't help just now.

Anyway, the character sheet is very good. Congratulations.
Thanks a lot !

This is an awesome aplication, my only regret about it is that its glotantha specific ( I mostly play in Newhon). Would it be to hard edit for non glorantha settings?

A very late reply, I'm sorry to admit.

As it is I currently am very busy, so I'm not doing any new version right now.

Please do note that I found a major fault: the Civilized background has no option to choose Mechanism as one of the skills available.
Sorry, you just need to keep that in mind until I do a new version.

As for the Glorantha-specific issue.
Do you really need a new version for that ? Just delete the skill and the spells on the sheet afterwards and that's it.
Of course, if you do allow magical skills to be chosen by Free Points then this actually is an issue, since "Common Magic" does not appear in the new skills.
It's also a matter whether you consider "Common Magic" as an advanced or common skill... regardless of Glorantha or not...
And to include that option

Looks really good. You're opening a bit of a can of worms though, because there's an endless list of features that you could usefully put into this.

Rerolling if the stats are less than 80 seems overly generous. Since points-build characters get 80 points, you're guaranteeing that random rolled characters will have at least as good characteristics as points-build ones which seems unfair to points-builders.

Allowing free adjustment of the stats would make this a great tool for GMs generating NPCs, as it is it's a bit limited. NPC mode would require the ability to add more skill points and such as well. What about generating advanced characters?

Of course there's nothing to stop anyone taking your excellent work and modifying it to suit their own needs. This is realy good stuff.

Simon Hibbs

Well, it sure took some time, but finally here it is: Version 008 (sheesh!)

Included now:
- Civilized characters may now choose "Mechanism"
- You may choose Glorantha or Other for setting. The latter will delete the +30% bonus to common magic, will make common magic an advanced skill and will not allow you to choose common spells at the beginning
- You may now point build your character, however, only humans have been included
- minor mistakes were corrected
- the random characteristic rolls do not longer ascertain than the complete sum is higher than 80 to make this more even with point builders.

You can find the link on the very first item on this topic.

Or here:

CharGen_v08

Possible future:
- advanced characters (which is a massive issue, because of cult belongings !
- later characteristic adjustment

Back