Chances of Whining

All things being equal (temperment, bad luck, etc) is there be a 50% chance of whining for either pl

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Geekybiker

Mongoose
This question is inspired by the "Is there such a thing as game balance" thread that was started a few weeks ago.

IMHO, ACTA is based on the analogy that Fleet A can beat Fleet B who can beat Fleet C as opposed to two equal whiners, with equal complaints, with equal grievances each having approximately a 50% chance at whining. Indeed in some matchups, Shadows vs Narn or Shadows vs Vorlons for example, things have to go just about perfect for the Narn or the Vorlons to whine. And these aren't the only cases.

My question is - All things being equal (temperment, bad luck, etc) is there be a 50% chance of whining for either side? Please don't debate whether you think I am correct in my thinking or not but whether you believe the game as is, is as equal as you CAN get.

At this point, IMO, I don't think this is the case. I'm just curious if I am part of a minority who thinks this or a majority.

In your answers, explain why and also explain which list supports your answer (SFOS, tourney list or both). Additionally, any examples of fleets not being equal ore being equal would be a great benefit as well.

Thanks and I am looking forward to your answers... :D

(not a dig at markn)

It all depends really. Some players have a calmer temperance than others - this may anger those of us who are more hot-headed. Also, if you're losing and need to make excuses for it, there is a lot of potential for whining. All in all, it all depends on your personality, so I voted no.

:lol:

Even assuming that the fleets themselves are equal, I can see some fleets attracting players who are more or less likely to whine than others.
As an example, take the Raiders - they were the lowest of the underdogs in the show, they're underdogs in the game, and I can easily see them attracting mainly the players who want to be in the position of underdog, and are therefore less likely to whine about it afterwards.

(Any resemblance of the above theory to any reality, either in this dimension or the next, is entirely coincidental. Thank you. 8))

In my experiance, both/all players usually whine. Winning or losing is irrelevant to the amount of whining.

I am quite lucky, the group I play with don't whine, if any of us lose we simly congratulate the other player and get on with it - heh its a game, simple as that. We all enjoy the game and play it for pleasure and meeting up with each to escape our other halves!! :D Some of us win more than others but we all have our moments of losing and winning. To us playing the game is more important than who wins and loses.

When you play campaigns you kinda have to keep track of wins and loses. We play for fun and to enjoy the game for what it is, many times my group has burst into fits of laughter over mistakes and glorious wins or defeats. We all curse our dice at times but why whine - what does it achieve?? If you play an underdog race your facing an uphill challenge all the way, but if you overcome that its great. I think it boils down to personality really.

Are we placing both whining and logical questioning of the rules and/or game balance based on intellegent and knowledgable reasoning in the same boat in regards to this question?

l33tpenguin said:
Are we placing both whining and logical questioning of the rules and/or game balance based on intellegent and knowledgable reasoning in the same boat in regards to this question?
It's not so much the content as the manner that matters here :wink:

Wulf

Wulf Corbett said:
l33tpenguin said:
It's not so much the content as the manner that matters here :wink:

Wulf
Also the frequency of asking the same query ;)
Asking the same basic question in a nice friendly manner, more than 5 times in any 10-minute period, I would class as whining.

IMHO Whining seems to just be part of wargamming. *something* is always broken. Or maybe the dice just hate you like they hat me. ;)

Whining on the forum about game mechanics and playability is one thing.

Whining during a game is another. Among friends I can accept it but during something like a tournament, there's no room for it. Thankfully I haven't encountered it in any ACTA tourneys but have seen my fair share in other games. I have to roll my eyes when that starts - people are at the tourney to compete, save the whines for the forum.

prelude_to_war said:
Whining on the forum about game mechanics and playability is one thing.

Whining during a game is another. Among friends I can accept it but during something like a tournament, there's no room for it. Thankfully I haven't encountered it in any ACTA tourneys but have seen my fair share in other games. I have to roll my eyes when that starts - people are at the tourney to compete, save the whines for the forum.

Honestly, what is worse is when someone becomes flat out rude or angry. I'm always like "Whoa... its a game man, calm down. Its not like you wife is at stake or something."

l33tpenguin said:
Honestly, what is worse is when someone becomes flat out rude or angry. I'm always like "Whoa... its a game man, calm down. Its not like you wife is at stake or something."

What, you never bet a night with your GF/wife on a game of ACTA? I thought that was the normal stake.

Geekybiker said:
l33tpenguin said:

What, you never bet a night with your GF/wife on a game of ACTA? I thought that was the normal stake.

And I've been losing all this time! :shock: :D

Geekybiker said:
l33tpenguin said:

Send pics, we will arrange a tournament

Back