Central Supply Catalogue Arrives !

All,

I got a plesant suprise Saturday when my CSC copy turned up. Kudos to the guys behind it, I'm loving it.

The contents pages at the back are truly monstrous....

It covers some old ground in places (mercenary kit rehashed etc) but I was well impressed.

The full page illustrations of battledress were perfect for me. Every time I describe the suits one of my players insists 'Like a Space Marine?' :roll:

Two thumbs up guys !!

I did like that. Powered armour was a nice adition for kitting out the PC's the good stuff without going for full on Battle Dress.

Another section I was fond of was the implants. Now if a character gets an implant as a mustering out benefit I can take something interesting for the character instead of a straight stat bonus / armour. The implants are way more rounded out now and I approve.

There are however - a HELLA lot of weapons in it. I'm never one to complain about that (as the lions share have illustrations) but when am I going to get to use them all !! !! :)

Also - Mongoose have played another ace for me with the ammo types.

I'm constantly suprised the simplicity of the system, yet how they manage to squeeze out clever little tweaks that just seem to work for me.

I've not seen the final manuscript (should I have an author copy??) but the special ammo types were my doing, along with the million variations on light medium and heavy handguns etc.

It is extremely annoying that the weapon illustrations (and its reasonably copiously illustrated) are simply not labelled and also do not necessarily appear on the same page as the description nor are they necessarily consecutive, so its d**n hard sometimes to figure what piccy goes with which descriptions.

It's also sad that there is so little in the non-weapon parts of the book that would qualify as advanced technology to the modern eye ... the bulk of the non weapon equipment is, in fact, the same "advanced" equipment that was in the initial Classic Traveller ... that is, its a 1960's idea of what "advanced" technology would be like.

Worse, a number of items that seemed to be likely at the time, and which have proved to be technological dead ends, have not been deleted or replaced with the systems that did replace them, either conceptually or in actuality ... the Gill Breather system, for example, is based on an idea that was thought might work but actually didn't ... and there are other items that show that, for the core equipment, nothing has changed since the 1960's.

And there's very little to show that the authors did (or, perhaps, were allowed to do) very little research into current technological trends in some areas as well.

Sure, there are exceptions (and fairly extensive ones in the personal augmentation area, for one), but ...

It's sad, really :(

A wasted opportunity

YMMV, of course ... especially if you like the 60's version of what the future would look like :shock:

Phil

If the '60s vision of the future included hot young women wearing miniskirts all the time, then I'm all for that.

I also like that there are a LOT of non-OTU weapons that still can be used and don't destroy the game.

Sonic, PSI, Chaindrive and Arc-Field weapons especially. Many of these probably don't fit the OTU, but a Marine in Full Battle-Dress with an Arc-Field Cutlass makes a LOT of sense to me.

Stofsk said:
If the '60s vision of the future included hot young women wearing miniskirts all the time, then I'm all for that.

Actually, I agree :D :D :D

It's just that, since Mongoose is producing a family friendly Traveller 8) there don't seem to be any piccys of such :wink:

Phil

Sonic, PSI, Chaindrive and Arc-Field weapons especially. Many of these probably don't fit the OTU, but a Marine in Full Battle-Dress with an Arc-Field Cutlass makes a LOT of sense to me.

Alot of the non-OTU stuff is my doing, so thank you. Matt handed me MJD's manuscript and was like, "anything you can think of adding from elsewhere and weirdness?"

And so I jumped into things like Warhammer 40k, Halo, and my library of sci-fi movies for ideas and adapted some things for people to use in their games if they want to. I'm glad that some readers will find these items useful and entertaining. :)

-Bry

Back