Cars?

Mac V

Mongoose
I want to get some toy cars as cover, first off 1:64 scale should do. Also, where's a good place to get them. Toys R Us doesn't have that great of a selection and I don't need Nascar models....

Not really, since the scale on both cars and figs are all over the place :D
1/64 will be just about the right height if you have an over sized one, but it wont look like the figs would be able to sit fit in them, and they wont be much cop for cover...
That said the Evo tanks and stuff are 1/64, so unless you want them completly dwarfed by civilian vehicles it might be an idea.
(To put it another way, yes it is the right scale, but it wont look right)

1/48 is more popular in general for use against 28mm, since it takes into account the base and the 'heroic' proportions of the average figure.

ive got a 1:46 4x4 it looks to big at first, but if i stand next to the same 4x4 at my local show room i seems a bit taller taller in comparison to a 30mm Toe to top figure.

basicly il get a fig and take it out shoping with me, there is no real point owning the vehicles befor the game so i may as well buy threm a day or so after.

If your in the states, Wal Mart had a lot of 1/64th cars on sale for a dollar.

The Scale is still up in the air it seems.

From bottom of base to top of head, the AT43 figs are 38mm
From foot to eyes 32mm
I would call these Heroic 28s ie 30+

From another thread
The BFE are
35mm in height from the bottom of the base to the top of his head.
he base itself accounts for around 3mm of this including the texturing.

So 35-3 is 33, then to get to the eyes about another 3,
So the tallest is at 30mm
The shortest 27mm

These seem closer to True 28mm, but until you can hold one hard to say for sure.

Lee

So, Lee, what do you think? Will 1:64 cars work for terrain in this game? It's be great to snag up a bunch of cheapies, give them a quick dusting of sand paint and be done with it....

it depends how pure and real you wish

if your for effect just go get them, if your after 100% authenticness, and wish to lavish loads of time, id hang on and wait.

i think if you remove the wheels on the 1/64 cars and then lower the suspension they maybe more correct in height and effect as the gap between the wheel and arch is often what makes them out of scale. also the rubber tyres are a little thick for scale.

but then it all depends on how accurate you wish it to be i spose, i use a range of scales for my city, but then thats scfi so you can get away with a bit more.

id say also opt for a few lorries this will remove some of the visual stress if some of the cars are slightly out, and provide biger chunks of terrain you can place on a road section or a reason for a MEA raid.

Mac V said:
So, Lee, what do you think? Will 1:64 cars work for terrain in this game? It's be great to snag up a bunch of cheapies, give them a quick dusting of sand paint and be done with it....

I bought 10, for 10 dollars, one of which is a red 1979 Gremlin.

It has nice small tires and looks good. a few of the others have the big tires, but for cover, and the urban look they should work I would think.

Also I am thinking of useing bases the thickness of FOW minis, that will drop 1 1/2 to 2 mm off the heights.

Even with the AT43 figs the cars look ok, a little small, but ok to me.

I have been using a 1/64 scale ruler from a train shop, its helpful.

Make sure the die casts are 1/64 as there are many that are not.

Good Luck
Lee

Don't know how you feel about paper models but these ones from RPG now could be a cheap alternative to toys or models.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=442&

Also this could be used to build a decent town/village

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=7009&[/url]

Fabe said:
Don't know how you feel about paper models but these ones from RPG now could be a cheap alternative to toys or models.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=442&

Also this could be used to build a decent town/village

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=7009&[/url]

I am using many card stock buildings, and so far they look really good, I always mount mine on a board of some sort.

Found what is called Artise Canvas Boards, in 5x7, and 9x12 inches that works well, they are sturdy and light weight, also lightly textured.

Many buildings can be found free, and for around 8-12 USD you can get a set.

I use different card stock colors, white, a textured yellow and a light brown to print on, as the same building looks different when printed, also I use Photoshop to adjust the colors a bit to vary even more.

Some people do not like the paper buildings, but for me they are light, fairly durable (can be dropped normally no damage), and are easy to make.

My only issue was storage, which I solved useing a canvas shoe rack for the closet, it is about 14" deep and 5x5 openings, the buildings sit right inside, except for the largest ones, they are safe and dust free.

Good Gaming
Lee

Back