black lotus

gav

Mongoose
one of my pcs has become addicted to the blossum [i think its the blossum?, its not the type that sorcerers use], I was looking for some detail on the effect and what it looks like and how it is inhaled . I have the shadizar book but is it mentioned in the stories. How do you guys describe it in your games? :D

I would never play with addicted people and would immediately call a police/militia officer to have the culprit imprisoned.

The King said:
I would never play with addicted people and would immediately call a police/militia officer to have the culprit imprisoned.

Then you should arrest yourself. Cause you are indeed addicted to this forum. Yes, the forum of Mongoose publishing is a very powerful drug.

I describe its appearance and effects, not to mention usage similar to that of pot.

Not that I would know, er... personally what these things are.

SS

Odovacar's Ghost said:
The King said:

Then you should arrest yourself. Cause you are indeed addicted to this forum. Yes, the forum of Mongoose publishing is a very powerful drug.
I am not addicted because I use to have many windows opened on my PC. Moreover you should know that The King has all rights, being above the law (and not outlaw).

sanseveria said:
I describe its appearance and effects, not to mention usage similar to that of pot.

Not that I would know, er... personally what these things are.

SS

"Acolyte!"

"Yes Master?"

"Get thee hence to the all night service station and purchase for me a box of mars bars! Make haste, for my munchies are quite heinious!"

"Get thee hence to the all night service station and purchase for me a box of mars bars! Make haste, for my munchies are quite heinious!"

"Oh, and also, bring thee forth a small pack of rolling papers."

SS

Don't you use smoking pipe anymore? The good old time of Gandalf and the hobbits is definitly gone it seems.
Of course, I can't believe Gandalf ever smoke black lotus. But I don't believe anyone did smoke black lotus too in the Hyborian Age as it was used as an incense.

Strom said:
Apparently a bad batch of lotus is called haggar. Not wise to sell haggar to slayers. :D

Absotively, posilutely. She's a vile witch and most likely would take offense to being sold. :lol:

heh, ignoring all the refer jokes and getting back to the the subject of the thread. It always seems to me that the use and effects of the lotus, as well as the plant itself, seems intended to be reminiscent of opium. So I usually describe lotus-use as smoking a tar-ball of lotus through a pipe or as incense that if burnt in a small closed space. Other options are to eat the blossom and its nectar straignt up, that is the classical "island of the lotus eaters" style. Then there is always the lotus-wine, I always describe it as yellow colored (even though it is made of black lotus) because it freaks out one of my players who recalls the madness-inducing yellow wine of the Elric saga :twisted:

Hope that helps.

From what I remember, lotus petals could also be eaten to produce effects. Also, the roots and even the sap had uses. I think that opium or hash would be good comparisons.

Effects would depend on which type of lotus was used. There were mentions of black, purple, gray, pink, and even a red lotus in the old GURPS Conan book. I don't have the listed effects handy right now, but could type them up from the book and post them when I get back next week if you (or anyone else) would like some examples.

I have downloaded quite a bit of alternate Conan source material from other sites, that includes some info on the various types of Lotus.

The contributor was : thulsa@xoth.net and states that the info was based on the drug rules found in the Book of Vile darkness. Also try hyboria.xoth.net

It mentions burning Black Lotus 'dust' (Pollen? Or ground up petals?) in a bowl, for infusion over several hours.

I also have alternate Lotus source on the purple, yellow, grey, white and golden varieties.

Back