Binding of 2nd edition

Trodax

Mongoose
I was just wondering if anyone else has had any problems with the binding of their 2nd edition core book. The binding of my book looks real solid and all (it really does look good; I have seen a lot of crappy binding when it comes to RPG books), but after having read through parts of it a page in the middle of the book has come loose (and I think more might be on the way).

BTW, does anyone know of any good ways to glue back an individual page into a book?

I did some once. It wasn't perfect though.

But before ginving you some tricks, I suggest you send an e-mail to Matt; I am sure he will send you a new one.

How is it bound? With glue only or also with stiches?

The King said:
How is it bound? With glue only or also with stiches?
Uh, I dunno... There's glue there for sure, but what would stitches look like?

Part of the problem with the book I think is that, at 420 pages, it's so goddamn FAT (a fact which I don't object against, in itself :wink: ).
It is impossible to lay the book open on a flat surface for the first 100 and the last 100 pages of the book; it will just close by itself. For the pages in between (pages 100-300), you can lay it open, but doing this looks like it places quite a bit of strain on the binding of the pages (and one page has, as I said, "popped out").

Thing is, I've been *extremely* happy with the binding of my AE book; it is by now quite worn from use at the gaming table, but the binding is still perfect and the pages show no sign of ever coming loose. This book is also possible to lay open at any page on a flat surface.

Hard bound cover books are usually bound with glue and reinforced with stiches, that is a thread.
Basically a book is a gathering of 4-pages sheets (which is made of a single folded sheet of paper). This is true for stitch reinforced books or for staple bound books.
Such books always have a page count that can be divided by 4. (usually 32, 64, 96, 128, 144, etc. which are made up out of 8, 16, etc. sheets.)

Basically, stitches are used to reinforce the books, the more stitches the better but the process is more expensive. Take 8 sheets of DIN A3 paper and fold them. You have a 32 pages booklet.

Well done stitches are especially useful for such heavy books to prevent the wear and the weigh of the pages from damaging the binding.

I wondered if this would happen when I started reading mine on Saturday.

I think that part of the problem is that because the art border is so wide, the text is a lot nearer to the spine. I found that I had to run my finger along the centre to get the pages open enough to read the text there.

I would be much happier with no border (or narrower) so that the text can be printed closer to the edge of the page.

As long as it holds together, I'm extremely happy with the book. The content is superb, and well worth upgrading from the previous edition(s).

Ralph

Do you think Mongoose will release a corrected version?

I would like them to call it the Stygian Edition. 8)

The King said:
Hard bound cover books are usually bound with glue and reinforced with stiches, that is a thread.
Basically a book is a gathering of 4-pages sheets (which is made of a single folded sheet of paper). This is true for stitch reinforced books or for staple bound books.
Such books always have a page count that can be divided by 4. (usually 32, 64, 96, 128, 144, etc. which are made up out of 8, 16, etc. sheets.)
Ah, OK, I see what you mean now. Yes, now that I've looked, a lot of my RPG books do indeed have these stitches (the AE book has them every 16 pages, for example).
My 2nd edition book does not seem to have any such thread, though, at least not any that is visible to me.

lastbesthope said:
Try emailing sales@mongoosepublishing.com to arrange a replacement.
I'll do just that. Thanks guys! :)

As a follow-up to this thread, Mongoose very generously sent me a new copy of the 2nd edition book today. I didn't even have to send them my old copy (although I did send them pictures showing my damaged book). So thank you Mongoose for that excellent service and friendly help! :D

My original book did have some very serious problems, though; I have now read about half of it, and it is really falling apart (14 pages have completely separated from the rest of the book, and a lot more are only half-attached). I'm going to treat my new book with utmost care until I'm sure it will hold up better.

How are other peoples books holding up? Do some of you have books without any problems at all?

(So as not to sound like a complete whiner, I'll just add that I'm really quite pleased with the content of the book. :) )

The King said:
I did some once. It wasn't perfect though.

But before ginving you some tricks, I suggest you send an e-mail to Matt; I am sure he will send you a new one.
BTW, King, did you have some good method for glueing a book? I'm thinking I might give it a shot with my old book.

Thinking of it, I don't think I know a good glue to bind over 400 pages.
There is always this liquid glue for paper that can do the job but it always depends on the quality and on the quantity. It is very hard to add enough glue to bind the book but not too much so that it doesn't also bind the pages.

In fact I would recommend a large transaprent adhesive tape which could to the job very well.

Back