Bad news regarding Airfix

Reaverman said:
mthomason said:
I wonder, does this confirm Mongoose's stance regarding plastic kits?

as in having them prepainted?

Yup. It may not be a problem localized to SST. The "plastic kit" era could truly be at an end (commercially, that is - there'll always be people who want them, question is whether enough will)

What a shame. Way back in the mists of time [early 1980s] aside from hordes of WW2 soldiers and tanks of both sides, I had packets of Airfix 1/72 scale Romans, Ancient Britons, Robin Hood & Men, Normans, Red Indians and the Tarzan box [1 Tarzan, various lions, simians and antelope, plus a dozen African warriors] - IIRC a box of around 50 figures in a dozen or so poses for the equivalent of about £5 in today's money!
They were great for for Runequest/AD&D, and the weapons were accurately to scale, not the damn great 'cricket bat' swords that seem to be the standard for rpg models.
I've often wondered why Airfix never branched into the rpg market [I guess it's too late now]. But I'd definitely buy some relatively inexpensive, accurately scaled 'realistic' figures - and maybe big monsters in kit form - if Mongoose want to fill the gap...

Unfortunately for the Airfix brand there are more competitors in the market these days and a lot of the models I was interested in are better done elsewhere. Still a little sad to see them go.....

Mongoose Acolyte said:
Unfortunately for the Airfix brand there are more competitors in the market these days and a lot of the models I was interested in are better done elsewhere. Still a little sad to see them go.....

Its bad news for the industry, not just Airfix. Its down to peoples hobbies, most people now are interested in PC games, Play Stations, and X 360's etc

Well thats a dying shame. Well, they played it out for a long time, but even wargamers were beginning to buy resins of tanks, and metals of infantry, just because of the one piece goodness. The airfix stuff just took too long to put together, I know its a model, and thats part of it. But still I reckon theres more wargamers now than modellers, thats not a definate quote from anywhere, I'm just guessing.

This isn't the first time they've gone into admin it happened a few years ago and they managed to get out again.

Greg Smith said:
:roll: groan!

Sorry - the bad pun was entirely unintentional.

Hornby have been doing damn well with buying in failing, but respected companies in the modeling fields, improving production standards and building up the brand again, so if they pick up Airfix, that would be a good thing.

yup but prics will ahve to go up to recobver the 4 million dept they have taken on !!!!

i hope the keep the robo game going my daughters enjoy that.

Mr Evil said:
yup but prics will ahve to go up to recobver the 4 million dept they have taken on !!!!

i hope the keep the robo game going my daughters enjoy that.

Probably not - they're moving production out to China which should reduce costs and improve quality, so I wouldn't see much movement there. 4 Million in debt isn't that much with a viable business and brand.

And from a more mainstream source...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6134988.stm

Back