Babylon 5 books - opinions

I appreciate this is subjective, but that is fine. Can you give me your opinions please on whether you think the babylon 5 paperbacks are worth buying??

Which you thought were the best and the worst of them??

Ta

Cpt Kremmen

I have found one psi corps related book on the internet, but it seems to be based about 100 years before the B5 series, I presume that is not part of the Psi Corps trilogy?

Kremmen

Captain Kremmen said:
I have found one psi corps related book on the internet, but it seems to be based about 100 years before the B5 series, I presume that is not part of the Psi Corps trilogy?

Kremmen

it is part of the trilogy, it just starts that far back and moves them all the way to Bester and his end.... also get the technomage trilogy and some of the non trilogy books are also good. :)

The Psi Corps and Centauri trilogies are very good. The Centauri one covers the events that follow the B5 series - Drakh, Centauri, David Sheridan etc. The Shadow Within is probably the best single novel.

Pretty good are: Technomages trilogy (well worth a read if you like Galen) and To Dream in the City of Sorrows.

The Touch of my Shadow, the Whisper of my Name is lousy.

The other individual titles are okay.

Greg thanks these are good recommendations. If anyone can name the books in the psi corps trilogy and the centauri trilogy I would be grateful.

If the centauri trilogy immediately follows on from the series then I would deffinitely be interested...

Kremmen

The Psi Corps ones are Dark Genesis, Bester Ascendant, Fate of Bester. Fate of Bester follows on from the series.

Centauri ones are the Legions of Fire trilogy.

Centauri Trilogy: Excellent

PsiCorps Trilogy: Better

Shadow Within: Good

Techno Mage Trilogy: I read the fist two and liked them... but I could never find the last one.

I really loved the book, and some of them (the Centauri Trilogy in particular) was pronounced canon by JMS himself. I would read that first and then go to the PsiCorps trilogy.

3rd Mate (Abraxas) said:
I really loved the book, and some of them (the Centauri Trilogy in particular) was pronounced canon by JMS himself.

They're all canon, at least in the broad plot strokes (the three trilogies that is...).

Also 100% canon is "To Dream in the City of Sorrows" which covers Sinclair's path after he left Babylon 5 pretty much.

Gimme 2 secs to dig up an old post of mine......

Ahh, there it is:

quote="lastbesthope"]If it is any help I once posted the title, author and ISBN stats for my complete collection of the novels.

lastbesthope said:
Frobi got in there first with the info. However I may be able to help you slightly with your search for the books Andrew.

From my inventory of my B5 books I have extracted the titles, Authors and ISBNs. For many of the books I have the US editions (marked as such next to the ISBNs) so you'd need to look up the UK ISBN at a bookshop or on amazon.co.uk. Or order the US version.

Also, the first 3 books have been reprinted in an omnibus, and numbers 7 and 9 (I think) have had reprints as well. They may have different ISBN numbers for the new editions. Either way the titles and authors should help you out. And there never was a book for River Of Souls (Like ACTA necer got a soundtrack)

If it wasn't so late and I had more time I'd look up the UK ISBNs for you. I apologise for this not being up to my usual standards of help :roll:
(I do have to get up in 5 hours, it's my only excuse)

In Glasgow, FP on Buchanan street had some of them in last time I was in, but that was months ago. Try Borders or Waterstones. The various A1 comics stores might be worth a shot. But you probably already know all those places :oops:

LBH
(You just can't get the help these days)

List follows:

Book 1: Voices
John Vorholt
0-7522-0644-3

Book 2: Accusations
Lois Tilton
0-7522-0649-4

Book 3: Blood Oath
John Vorholt
0-7522-0654-0

Book 4: Clark's Law
Jim Mortimer
0-7522-0153-0

Book 5: The Touch of your shadow, the whisper of your name
Neil Barrett Jr.
0-7522-0158-1

Book 6: Betrayals
S M Stirling
0-7522-0163-8

Book 7: The Shadow Within
Jeanne Cavelos
0-7522-2339-9

Book 8: Personal Agendas
Al Sarrantonio
0-7522-2344-5

Book 9: To Dream in the City of Sorrows
Kathryn M Drennan
0-440-22354-7 (US EDITION)

Babylon 5: In the Beginning
Peter David
0-345-42452-2 (US EDITION)

Babylon 5: Thirdspace
Peter David
0-345-42454-9 (US EDITION)

Babylon 5: Call to Arms
Robert Sheckley
0-345-43155-3 (US EDITION)

The Saga of Psi Corps Book 1: Dark Genesis The Birth of the Psi Corps
J Gregory Keyes
0-345-42715-7 (US EDITION)

The Saga of Psi Corps Book 2: Deadly Relations Bester Ascendant
J Gregory Keyes
0-345-42716-5 (US EDITION)

The Saga of Psi Corps Book 3: Final reckoning The Fate of Bester
J Gregory Keyes
0-345-42717-3 (US EDITION)

The Legions of Fire Book 1: The Long Night of Centauri Prime
Peter David
0-345-42718-1 (US EDITION)

The Legions of Fire Book 2: Armies of Light and Dark
Peter David
0-345-42719-X (US EDITION)

The Legions of Fire Book 3: Out of the Darkness
Peter David
0-345-42720-3 (US EDITION)

The Passing of the Tech-nomages Book 1: Casting Shadows
Jeanne Cavelos
0-345-42721-1 (US EDITION)

The Passing of the Tech-nomages Book 2: Summoning Light
Jeanne Cavelos
0-345-42722-X (US EDITION)

The Passing of the Tech-nomages Book 3: Invoking Darkness
Jeanne Cavelos
0-345-43833-7 (US EDITION)

LBH[/quote]

The only new development is that a pre release print of Matthew Sprange's "Visions of PEace" was for sale previously at Mongoose, they may have some left, best contact them directly sales@mongoosepublishing.com

LBH

Damnit, forgot to say which ones are good of the above list.

Well ignoring the adaptations of the TV movies, the good ones are #7 THe shadow Within, #9 To Dream in the city of sorrows and the thre trilogies, though I have onnly read the Corps trilogy so far.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Damnit, forgot to say which ones are good of the above list.

Well ignoring the adaptations of the TV movies, the good ones are #7 THe shadow Within, #9 To Dream in the city of sorrows and the thre trilogies, though I have onnly read the Corps trilogy so far.

LBH

Thanks everyone, I have managed to track down all three books in each of the two trilogies and the shadow within. Those 7 should keep me occupied for a while.

Ta

Cpt Kremmen.

Capt, dude, you really need to pick up #9 as well, To Dream in the city of Sorrows.

It is by far the best of the first 9, and gives good background on Marcus.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Capt, dude, you really need to pick up #9 as well, To Dream in the city of Sorrows.

It is by far the best of the first 9, and gives good background on Marcus.

LBH

LBH, I would of course never doubt your word. Above book has also now been ordered. That's 8 books for me to read, and a copy of Flames of War!

Which trilogy have you not ordered, there are 3, Technomage, Psi Corps and Centauri Prime. You said you only ordered 2.

And well you should not douby my word :lol:

LBH

I have not ordered the technomages. Gone for Psi Corps and the Centauri trilogy. They were the ones everyone seemed tho think were best.

Who am I to argue with the masses....

Kremmen

Back