B5 TMoS - bad news?

Mongoose Si

Mongoose
In case you had not heard yet, there some some rumours about the new B5 movie that do not sound good at all.

Apparently, Warner want to recast the original actors in favour of some better known Hollywood names. This would be a great trajedy IMO.

Nothing has been officially confirmed yet but many people are taking these rumours seriously and so a call is going out to the fans to stop this absurdity before it is too late.

There is a Keep B5 Alive site with information on how you can help:

http://207.234.193.168

And lots of discussion about it on B5TV.com:

http://forums.b5tv.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=277221&Main=276895#Post277221

If this rumour is not true, no harm will be done by showing our support, but if it is true, then we must do everything we can...

Apparently, Warner want to recast the original actors in favour of some better known Hollywood names.

This is bad, this is very, very bad (do you have a source?).

JMS has always been unhappy about recasting, and after the death of Richard Biggs he commented that he always though that Richars would be in TMoS (showing that he wants some of the original cast to be in it), but how much control does JMS have.

This is bad, this is very, very bad (do you have a source?).

Yes, very, very bad indeed. I think many fans, myself included, will nopt watch the film if this turns out to be the case. It is an insult to JMS, the original actors, and the fans.

As for the source, it seems to be an intentional "leak" from Warner. Check out this thread over at www.b5tv.com - there's lots of info about why's and wherefore's

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2004-12/09/11.00.film

I would say not replacing actors, its probably rumored becasue JMS orginally wanted Dr. Franklin back, but was having to rewrite parts of it on the last article i read right after Richard Briggs passed away.

I don't believe anybody could replace Galen :p

Have a nice day 8)

Recasting would suck. I'd still watch the movie but I would not be a happy bunny. Someone is taking a leaf out of the SW DVD releases, I mean they revoiced Boba with Jango's actor, and recast the Emperor in Ep V and Anakin in Ep 6.

Anyone ever seen Spaced, particularly Tim's reaction to Lucas after Ep 1 was released?

LBH

lastbesthope said:
I mean they revoiced Boba with Jango's actor, and recast the Emperor in Ep V and Anakin in Ep 6.

Only the first of these annoyed me I've got to admit (it's not like Boba get's that many lines anyway (and none in Episode 6!))

Though Anakin really should have been his real age, not the age he'll (apparently) turn to the Dark Side.

But I suspect this rumour has been raised for one of two reasons;

1) To generate publicity and then have Warner "retract" and say, olay, we gave the fans what they wanted 'cos they're important.

or

2) Probably traceable back to writers with a connection to the SFX clique in their normal "do jms down" act.

All we've seen to date indicates that jms wanted the original cast (hence the the upset of Richard Biggs' death and what that did to the schedule with rewrites).

But it'll get people talking about it...

But I suspect this rumour has been raised for one of two reasons;

1) To generate publicity and then have Warner "retract" and say, olay, we gave the fans what they wanted 'cos they're important.

or

2) Probably traceable back to writers with a connection to the SFX clique in their normal "do jms down" act.

Lets hope thats all it is. In the mean time:

There is a Keep B5 Alive site with information on how you can help:

http://207.234.193.168

has good idears.

Will Mongoose have the rights to make products based on TMoS?

lastbesthope said:
Anyone ever seen Spaced, particularly Tim's reaction to Lucas after Ep 1 was released?

LBH

LOL, yes, that was excellent. I hope I won't have to have a ceremonial burning of my B5 stuff!

Ghost Dancer said:
lastbesthope said:

LBH

LOL, yes, that was excellent. I hope I won't have to have a ceremonial burning of my B5 stuff!

I'd never go that far, but I am expecting a heck of a lot from SW Ep III. And I maintain that there are now 4 trilogies in SW lore:

Classic
SE VHS
SE DVD
Prequel

LBH
Anal retentive just doesn't come close to what I am :D

lastbesthope said:
I'd never go that far, but I am expecting a heck of a lot from SW Ep III. And I maintain that there are now 4 trilogies in SW lore:

Classic
SE VHS
SE DVD
Prequel

Personally, I'd add Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy in as a fifth. Out of all of the books I've read, they're the ones that I feel fit the feel of the movies best.

mthomason said:
lastbesthope said:

Classic
SE VHS
SE DVD
Prequel

Personally, I'd add Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy in as a fifth. Out of all of the books I've read, they're the ones that I feel fit the feel of the movies best.

Good point, but the SW purist in me counts the movies as the only real Star Wars. Don't get me wrong, I like the novels, I have most of them (I don't buy the kid's ones and I'm waiting for paperback versions of the newer HB releases).

The Thrawn Trilogy is a good one. It's what got me hooked on the SW novels in the first place, then I got into the X-Wing series . . .

Wedge just kicks backside . . . .

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Classic
SE VHS
SE DVD
Prequel

There's at least three different Classic VHS releases, which have slightly differeing cuts as well ;)

And the Laser Disk versions ;)

Bloody Lucas :(

Someone on USENET mentioned there's no reports that any original characters will be in the movie. And there's some reports that Jerry Doyle has signed on for the movie already. I'd wait a few weeks till more information comes out.

Mike

Let's hope enough of us can get together to bring those people to their senses. Although we are talking about Hollywood! Where there really haven't been very many original ideas in years!

Back