Atlantean Edition

jjelmquist

Mongoose
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board, and new to the game for that matter; although I am a long time REH & Conan fan.

I have a dilema, and am wondering if any of you can help.

I am trying to purchase the Atlantean edition of the core book - online.

Unfortunately, the big retailers like Amazon.com, Buy.com, Walmart, etc. do not make it clear whether or not they are selling the Atlantean (hardcover) edition or the earlier edition.

The Publishing date is listed as 1/2004, page count is 304, etc. All of which seems to be wrong for the Atlantean edition.

Have any of you recently purchased the core book from one of these big online sellers? What did they send you? Atlantean or an earlier edition?

I tried emailing Amazon.com's customer service dpt. They responded, but told me all the info they have is on the website, and they can't (or won't) visually check the merchandise to clarify which edition they stock.

Any insight you all can offer would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.frpgames.com is great because they list the Atlantean (revised) edition, whereas Amazon couldn't find their way out of a paper bag. I have ordered Conan stuff from them with no problems. 8)

I bought mine online and ran into the same problem. I ended up writing emails to about 5 different vendors before I had one who could guarantee it was the Atlantian Edition.

It wasn't a vendor I'd used before or since, but I wasn't going to pay the MSRP when I'd already purchased the Pocket Guide at list and no players had yet to commit. I really didn't want to hassle with returns for an original printing.

Welcome to the board.

You can also purchase it directly on this site but you have www.nobleknight.com in the US which makes the distinction between the 1st printing and the Atlantean edition.

The King said:
Auggie said:
What about getting the Pocket Edition of the core rulebook? That's the mini-Atlantean Edition, true?
Not true. The pocket edition lacks some chapters.

That's true.
The Master Index at http://www.fidnet.com/~bushfarm/wnvb/conan10.html
details what is and what is not in the Atlantean.
Material that is not in the paperback Rulesbook is listed as "[Not in CRp]".

I just ordered the Conan RPG from amazon.com, but haven't received it yet as I also ordered other books including the B5 Merchants, Traders and Raiders which isn't yet available. Allthough the order information does not tell whether it is the Atlantean version, it was hardcover, the page count was 352 and ISBN is 1904577695 which checks with the Atlantean edition. Also some of the reviews talk about it as the newer version. I checked the FRP Games, but their prices were from 3-8$ more per book so I decided to order from Amazon. As I'm making the order from Finland, I have to try to keep the order under 150$ to avoid sales taxes and so cost is a bigger fact that delivery time. It was really weird that it is much cheaper to order the books from US than from UK allthough the books are published by an UK company. I didn't even consider Finnish RPG shops as they have the USD retail prices converted directly to euroes making books very expensive.

migutse: You'll probably hate me for asking this but...
Has anyone thought of turning the Kalevala into an RPG?
In one of the Conan RPG books, there is a mention of Louhi, which IIRC is from Kalevala.

Yeah Louhi was a witch / semi-god in Kalevala. Actually there have been a couple Finnish RPGs based on Kalevala. One was called Ultima Thule and was published in 99 and I think there was also one that was published in the late 80's or early 90's. I haven't played either one, so I can't comment on how good they are. There have been some other reference to Kalevala in RPG's. At least some of the gods in the AD&D 2nd edition Forgotten Realms had Finnish names and were clearly influenced by Kalevala. And as you might know Middle Earth and especially Silmarillion is influenced by Kalevala.

Personally I don't think that a RPG based just on the Kalevala would have much success. The greek mythology is much better known, but still there isn't any major game focusing on Hercules or Troy (at least I don't know of any). The myths are better used as influences on other fantasy worlds. This makes them more easy for us to identify with. Conan is a good example of this as many of the countries have clearly been influenced by viking, egyptian etc. myths. Other one is Middle Eart which has similiar (allthough not so clear) influences.

migutse said:
The greek mythology is much better known, but still there isn't any major game focusing on Hercules or Troy (at least I don't know of any).
You have Hercules & Xena from West End games (published in 1995) and Troy from the Mystic vistas series by Green Ronin (for the D20). From the same series you have Testament which of course relates to the bible.

Hi, jjelmquist! Best thing you can do, as I did myself, is getting it on ebay. There you can find stores who sell online, the best prices, and the security of getting Atlantean -you just have to ask the dealer directly!

Yogah of Yag said:
http://www.frpgames.com is great because they list the Atlantean (revised) edition, whereas Amazon couldn't find their way out of a paper bag. I have ordered Conan stuff from them with no problems. 8)

Beware FRP Games! It is so well layed out and easy to find anything that pertains to gaming that I can never seem to escape with only the item that I intended to buy. Usually leave with a very heavy shopping cart.

Great site.

HLD

High Lord Dee said:
Yogah of Yag said:

Beware FRP Games! It is so well layed out and easy to find anything that pertains to gaming that I can never seem to escape with only the item that I intended to buy. Usually leave with a very heavy shopping cart.

Great site.

HLD

:lol:
Thankfully, I don't have that problem.
All I play is Conan!
It's all about focus. 8)

I have a copy of the first printing of the Conan RPG is there much of a difference between this version and the Atlantean Edition. My wife bought it for me for my birthday when the game first came out and I really do not want to buy another hardback. I am thinking of buying the pocket edition. Does the pocket edition have the corrections that were made in the Atlantean Edition?

Homer

That was my very first question to the editors. They told me that the pocket edition [CRp] does indeed have the corrections. However, there were a few editorial flubs in it, too, like a duplicated section roughly in the area where the Thief class is discussed. Also there are sections of the AE not present in the CRp, like the essay "Hyborian Age", animal and monster stats, the gazetteer, IIRC.

Yogah of Yag said:
However, there were a few editorial flubs in it, too, like a duplicated section roughly in the area where the Thief class is discussed.

Not all copies of the Pocket Edition suffer from this, mine is fine.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Yogah of Yag said:
However, there were a few editorial flubs in it, too, like a duplicated section roughly in the area where the Thief class is discussed.

Not all copies of the Pocket Edition suffer from this, mine is fine.

LBH
I guess the flawed copies were banished to the Colonies. :?

Finally got my copy from mail last week. The shipment was delayed because I also ordered other stuff that Amazon didn't have in stock. The book I got was the Atlantean version as I suspected in my earlier post.

Back