ARMAGEDDON 2089 IS CRAP!!!!

joe90

Mongoose
Armageddon 2089 is crap. The book is too complex and you constantly have to search the rulebook for clarifications. On one page it states a rule and then on the other it redifines it. It doesn't make sense. Im glad all you gamers out there can work it out but to hell with it. It is far too complicated to work out all the rules. You have to look in the rulebook everytime and it spoils game play. Would have been a much better game if it wasn't a D20 rulebook. SHould have been just a standard book with all the rules in so you dont have to keep referring to the D20 rulebook.
The idea is brilliant but it just doesn't work. Far too complex and I think i will stick to the simpler RPGS. CHeck this for a review of armageddon 2089.
http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9642.phtml
Good luck gamers - im getting rid of this nightmare of a book. ANyone interested in buying the complete set????

stants said:
Armageddon 2089 is crap. The book is too complex and you constantly have to search the rulebook for clarifications. On one page it states a rule and then on the other it redifines it. It doesn't make sense. Im glad all you gamers out there can work it out but to hell with it. It is far too complicated to work out all the rules. You have to look in the rulebook everytime and it spoils game play. Would have been a much better game if it wasn't a D20 rulebook. SHould have been just a standard book with all the rules in so you dont have to keep referring to the D20 rulebook.
The idea is brilliant but it just doesn't work. Far too complex and I think i will stick to the simpler RPGS. CHeck this for a review of armageddon 2089.
http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9642.phtml
Good luck gamers - im getting rid of this nightmare of a book. ANyone interested in buying the complete set????

Not very constructive criticism.. but if it is any help I was one of the playtesters for A2089, if you have some specific rules etc.. you are struggling with and would like help to understand them. In order to remove any confusion, rather than ranting, why not post them here and folks, myself included will be more than happy to help explain them for you.

I agree with Neo, not very friendly or constructive criticism.

Have you downloaded the FAQ / Errata from the Mongoose website:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/armageddonfaq.pdf

It might help clear up some of your problems.

As for the needing the rules from the d20 book, that;s the way the licence works, you need a d20 core book for the character creation and some other rules. sincew you need to have that book anyway, why waste money reprinting rules that are in that book anyway? I mean they could have made it OGL I suppose, but I don't know if they had that idea going 2 years back when they did A:2089

As for selling your entire collection. I might be interested, in fact I was watching your ebay lot, but you recently pulled your lot from sale:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5962713831&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

So I presume you either sold it or have some other reason for withdrawing it. It had a few days left to run when you pulled it and according to the ebay page the item has already sold. Unless you have 2 complete collections or did your buyer back out?

I'm a newbie to the game, I have the core book and just won another e-bay auction, for 2 of the supplements, from Ian Sturrock. I'm waiting on those showing up but I'll be happy to try and answer any questions you may have if I can. As with all complex rule sets, you'll eventually get the hang of it.

LBH

this game is complex yes but it is also very detailed and with some examples like the novel and the bits in signs to guide you it is not impossible and have found the game very intreasting as I know LBH has so please try and be civil this forum is for fans of mongooses work not just a place to try and get more money for your auction old boy :?

I dunno toothill, after reading his brief summatry of all the good points, I'd be convinced it was worth buying if I didn't already own it :lol:

LBH
(Yes that one was cheeky stants, but I think it was warranted)

Hey there!!! Yer sorry about the slagging off with regards to armageddon 2089. I have been reading rules and rules in the last 2 weeks and to be honest im starting to get the hang of it. D20 is not too bad until you get to the combat part which seems to be real complicated but im getting the hang of it - just about. I did not sell my armageddon 2089 plus all the expansions as I just couldn't part from it. Its not too bad a book once you get into it and once ive gotten hang of the d20 rules it should be quite a good game. I have several mates who are looking forward to playing it and im hoping that i can cope with gamesmastering - GULP!!!!Im probably going to be looking in the rulebook every second which I hope does not spoil the game. But im gonna give it a go! Weve decided to play next month so I gotta get back to my reading!!! Seeya guys and have fun!!!!!

Yeah good luck Joe 90.

I just completed my collection at the SST night at Mongoose in Swindon.
Pity Soldier's Companion and High Frontier are in Black and White instead of glorious Mongoose Technicolour. but it's the content that counts.

LBH

My one main gripe witht he main rule book is the background on the pages.
It's killer on the eyes. The text is hard to read with that background.
I could not get through enough of it as a result.
I only hope they do a reprint and clean up that background!!

It is a bit bad in some bits, but worth the hassle.

As for reprints, when I picked up my copy at the last Open night, Mark Humphries let slip that Armoured Companies wqas now OOP, so I don't know if any A:2089 will be reprinted.

LBH

I rather liked it. Unfortunately, I never have gotten to play it, but I liked the mechanics. They can be trimmed down easily if someone wanted to play something a little less complicated.

Razuur

Hear hear Razuur.

I bought the core book after the ACTA tourney and bought the rest at the SST night. I just love the setting.

I'll need to work on the A:2089 nMek Viewer I have in mind, then maybe I could set up a PbP game on the forums!

LBH

it's a great game. love it! shame it will not be getting any support. that makes me mad but not to the point that i need to rant. that would just be a waste of everyone's time. the game is not crap and i'm happy to see you have now read the book. hope you have fun running/playing it. :D

FallingPhoenix said:
Aw, come on...its no worse than Shadowrun (TM) (one of my all-time favorite games, btw...)

Now that was a difficult game to get my head but quite well done... I always prefered cyberpunk but I did like shadowrun... Especially DMZ

I'm working on the table-top version of A2089 right at the moment. As things stand there's a draft version of the rules and a revised background book. Not sure of the overall project status though.

Back