AP and 2-Handed Weapons

Auggie

Mongoose
If you use a weapon 2-handed, do you apply the STR modifier x 1.5 to your Armor Piercing as well as the damage??

"The character wielding the weapon adds his Strength modifier to this AP score, if he is also able to add his Strength modifier or some multiple of it to his damage roll with the weapon." [153a, bottom, AE, emphasis mine] Hope that clears it up.

The STRmod is a measure of the force that a PC's musculature (and momentum, &c.) adds to the inherent destructive capability (i.e. the base damage) of a weapon.

If one may add 1.5*(STRmod) to DAM when wielding it 2-handed, then why not also to the AP of the weapon when used in the same manner?

If you are the GM, it is your campaign--your "Gameworld"--and you may interpret the AE rules as you, the POWERS THAT BE (PTB), see fit. If the tiny, insignificant mortals in the campaign don't like it, then...teach them a lesson with a tidal wave, an earthquake, a couple of Brythunian wenches with VD...you get the idea. :twisted:

You add the same Str bonus to AP as to damage, for a 2 handed weapon 1.5xStr, for a weapon in the primary hand 1.0xStr, for a weapon in the off hand 0.5xStr

hope this helps

"The character wielding the weapon adds his Strength modifier to this AP score, if he is also able to add his Strength modifier or some multiple of it to his damage roll with the weapon."

this quote to me definately seems to say you only add your strength mod, not strength and a half. the wording is a little off, but if you take the time to read it carefully it seems pretty straight forward. reworded it would say

if the character wielding the weapon is able to add his strength modifier (or some multiple of it) to his damage roll with the weapon, then he is also able to add his strength modifier to this AP score.

For the official answer (ie. that you do indeed add 1,5xStr to AP) look in this thread: Questions & Answers

I don't use that rule myself, though, as I think two-handed weapons are easily good enough (they kick ASS!) without the extra boost to AP.

My interpretation has always been the same as squidyak points out, and that's how it remains in my games. As Trodax states - two-handers are already powerful enough without boosting their AP anymore than is necessary.

We use the 1.5 rule in our game besides being the official ruling it seems to have some logic to it,
Hey, 2 handed weapons are tough, and then if you also use the weapon size rule, 2 handed weapons are king

Thanks for the feedback, friends. I've been running Conan for almost 2 years now and this situation only came up recently- until now we were not using the 1.5 STR bonus for AP, but now I think I'll allow it. If I find it unbalancing, I might reconsider it. Again, thanks :D

Back