Anyone using Conan in their Conan game?

emirikol

Mongoose
Just wondering. Have any of you been using the actual "Conan" in your games? Does he appear as an NPC or are there any rumors circulating? Have you had any players want to play him?

Jay Hafner
Lakewood, CO, USA

I guess I should note how I've been using Conan in my games. He has not made an appearance in any of our games, however two campaigns ago, rumors were circulating in Turan about a leader amongst the Kozaki that was a thorn in the side of Turan.

You folks?

jh

I will be using Conan quite a bit in my game to set the tone for various regions. Conan is presumed dead, killed on the plains of Shamu due to trechery at the hands of King Amalrus of Ophir. Which will help shape the next story arc of our game, near Tarantia.

I haven't used the big C in my game yet. I have some loose plans on making an adventure based on The Hour of the Dragon in which King Conan gets killed by Xaltotun in the beginning and its up to the PC's to sort things out, saving the world from Acherons return and all that. I'm aching to kill Conan off in a game! :)

My game has only really gone one session thusfar and that session was some time ago.

The three players all made pictish warriors (all female too) who fled from their tribe and ended up being captured as slaves and hauled far to the east to Shadizar (Bought the box set and wanted to use it ^_^)

There they were to be sold as slaves by some nobleman. During the night something happened that released them from their prison, fought off a small slew of guards and ended up setting loose many of the slaves.

One such captive was Conan. I never actually refered to him by name, I just described him as best I could. There was one player who actually didn't get the reference until just a few days ago when we were talking about the game again.

He may make an appearance or two, but nothing really major as far as I'm aware.

Trodax said:
I haven't used the big C in my game yet. I have some loose plans on making an adventure based on The Hour of the Dragon in which King Conan gets killed by Xaltotun in the beginning and its up to the PC's to sort things out, saving the world from Acherons return and all that. I'm aching to kill Conan off in a game! :)

Meanwhile, in MY corner of Hyboria, the players will be helping Xaltotun and Nemedia against that dirty usurper savage King Conan. :)

They're off to steal the Heart of Ahriman as we speak, on behest of Orastes and Baron Amalric of Tor; they don't know WHY they have to recover it, though, just some vague notion that it will be used in a war against those dirty Aquilonians.

I'm not sure if they will be meeting Conan face to face, but I am hoping they will be on the same battlefield at least.

I have yet to use Conan in any of my adventures but I have established the timeline that Conan is currently King of Aquilonia. I'm thinking of a way to include him in the Heretics of Tarantia module.

I don't use Conan directly and avoid mentioning the big guy. After all these years of adventuring, he really doesn't need to steal my players' spotlight.

I, like most of you it seems, haven't used Conan directly. Just haven't found the right angle that would make it appropriate. I also worry about the effects of introducing him since the central characters in my campain are women... :wink: (played by female gamers)

My game is set 10 years after Conan leaves across the Western Ocean. He left his son Con as the king of Aquilonia. Con, not being quite the man his father was, is feeling the weight of the responsibility of Conan. Over the years the control of the Aquilonian king over his provinces and nobles has weakened, while those under him have schemed and sought to regain power that they once had under the old king.

So, Aquilonia, while nowhere near a state of chaos or rebellion, is beginning to feel the pressures of internal strife once again while the son of Con tries to maintain the legacy and rule of his father.

Usually I use a setting 10 to 20 years after Conan with Conn on the throne. It is nice to use setting were the barbarian once was and how the places have changed.

I use Conan in my campaign - every adventure. My players all take turns using him - he is by far their favourite fictional character and each and everyone of them relishes when it is their turn to roleplay the grim Cimmerian. It is an absolute blast - although I'm sure it would make some purists roll over in their grave.

- Hollywood

Wow. I like that of let players play Conan in turn. Case is, anyone could play the charcter perfectly? ;)

I've mentioned before my campaign; the characters are, by different reasons (and stories), currently living in Conahojahara. My objective right now is get them to care about the place and it's inhabitants, since I'm going to play the fall of the province.

They're still at Velitrium, but soon parting for Fort Tuscelan. Once there they'll have different adventures patrolling the frontier (the river), and get to know the picts. Since Conan is working as ranger there, they'll meet often. In fact, if my players get in too much trouble, I could always use Conan to get them out of it...

My plans for the future of my players is that they'll be spies for the rebellion against Numedides, and finally rewarded by Conan as a sort of Aquilonian Knights "experts in the occult", so they can perform special missions for him, like killing the occasional monster or annoying wizard.

In my campaign there is no Conan, this has the advantage that I can use the Howard stories as adventures and the players don't have to worry about a big Cimmerian tapping them on the shoulder when they feel like doing a bit of trampling the jewelled thrones!

:D

Padre said:
I don't use Conan directly and avoid mentioning the big guy. After all these years of adventuring, he really doesn't need to steal my players' spotlight.

Amen to that.

I love the setting, but I'm not a fan of Conan as a character. My own campaign was set decades before Conan was even born, to make sure he would have no influence on the background (even when I wasn't GM).

That being said, I still like the ways you guys have made use of him. Next time I run a game, a young Conan might make a cameo appearance, and later the PCs might hear of his continuing exploits and increasing renown.

Hexaphim said:
Trodax said:

Meanwhile, in MY corner of Hyboria, the players will be helping Xaltotun and Nemedia against that dirty usurper savage King Conan. :)

They're off to steal the Heart of Ahriman as we speak, on behest of Orastes and Baron Amalric of Tor; they don't know WHY they have to recover it, though, just some vague notion that it will be used in a war against those dirty Aquilonians.

I'm not sure if they will be meeting Conan face to face, but I am hoping they will be on the same battlefield at least.

This I like a lot. As a player, I usually play an Aquilonian nobleman who wouldn't stand for a barbarian thief stealing the crown.

Padre said:

I've got to say, I agree too. If I was to use Conan, it would be a detailed disciption in the background, perhaps. Or maybe have a player be Conan in a One to One game.

HI!

This was the situation:

The party got captured in one of those horrid Hyperborean slaver castles but escaped with barely their lives. Two of the party got separated in the wild & hilly country of Hyperborea, being chased by a pack of witchmen henchmen (pun?), a degenerate Cimmerian mercenary group (by REH's standard's only degenerate mixed-blooded Cimmerians would truck with rangy Hyperborean devils). Running for their very lives, the PCs scaled a cliff & wound up in a dark cave with their backs to the wall & two short swords & no Bossonian bow (one was a native Bossonian) as the only weapons against a well armed & well trained group of bloodthirsty barbarian villains. As they started to bravely but hopelessly fight, a lean & powerful shadow rose from behind the 4 remaining Cimmerians & with mighty & swift blows felled them. The two PCs (both Hyborian, both civilised), stared in awe at the young wolf facing them, & trembled. The youngster was more than 6 feet tall & his corded muscles shone with vibrancy in the twilight of the day, casting them in in gold & silver - the scars of lashings a lesser man would've killed all over his powerful frame. His scrungy black mane revealed two gleaming ice cold eyes, burning with the feral stare of the wild. Now, this was a real Cimmerian. The young man looked at them & then they noticed his manacled hands, their chains broken. He just stood there a spell, picked up one of the dead men's swords, furs & armour & said:
"These weren't Cimmerians you fought, but dead men. Do not try to follow or tonight you'll sleep in hell."
& with a pantherish twist, left the confines of the cave & the two civilised men shuddering & swearing under their soft cultured lips.

I hope that was as cool for me as was for the players to witness.

Auri
Kalko

My player's introductory adventure was set during the Sack of Venarium. I am sure as they clawed their way through throngs of bloodthirsty Cimmerians, they expected I might throw Conan at them, but no, not yet. He was there in that battle somewhere though.

I have used other characters from the Conan stories. Just last week, the PCs punched the lights out of Demetrio (of God in the Bowl) in a Numalian Bathhouse. I also have a hankering to include a certain Cimmerian chieftan named Crom-Ya in some later adventure (HPL fans will know what I mean).

Back