Any ideas for a Middle Earth RQ game?

Don Allen

Mongoose
I am seriously thinking about trying to use the Runequest rules for a Middle Earth game and was wondering if anyone had tried this or has any ideas how to stat the major races etc.

-How would stats be rolled for Dunedain vs. Normal Man?
-Stats for the different types of Elves? Starting magic for elves?
-How would the magic system need to be reworked to be more Middle Earth like?

I'm not so interested in the races being of equal starting ability (Dunedain should be better than Normal Man in most ways, etc).

Thanks,
Don

When I tried RQ in Middle Earth (it struck me a long time ago that it would be a good system for this - and because it's percentile it was possible to use some of the MERP stuff with minimal changes) I gave Dunedain what would translate into MRQ as 2D6+6 POW, 2D6+6 CHA and 1D6+12 for SIZ.

I also did this a long time ago with RQ3. See the Hobbits in RQ threat for my old hobbit write up. I'm goint to put the other character creations rules into a file for someone.

Essentially it would take some reworking to get things to mesh with RQ4.

My favorite guess as to what the "Holy Grail" of RPG Licenses Mongoose has been promising to announce as soon as secured is the LOTR - so you might just get what you want before too long! :D

Rurik said:
My favorite guess as to what the "Holy Grail" of RPG Licenses Mongoose has been promising to announce as soon as secured is the LOTR - so you might just get what you want before too long! :D

Not going to happen, at least not IMO. Decipher is going to sit on it's LotR and Trek licences as long as they have the money to produce new cards for their CCGs. They wouldn't let any other company publish stuff in their 'backyard'.

BTW Decipher's CODA system for LotR gaming is quite good. And it's not d20 at all :)

Unless Decipher did a sublicence deal for Mongoose to do the RPG while they keep doing the CCG. I'd love to see LotR RQ... Heck I'd love to see any licences done in RQ :D

Decipher has fallen on hard times, and anything can happen if money is involved...

The RPG could be licensed seperately than the CCG.

Also, aren't there two licences? - I know this was the case with computer games. There is the "movie" license and then the "book" license held by the Tolkien estate.

And finally, what other license is really deserving of being termed the "Holy Grail"?

I have had other thoughts, but I keep coming back to Middle Earth.

Alright, see me do a one-eighty here :D

The aforementioned Decipher .pdfs over at Drivethru...they are gone since the day before yesterday...might be a sublicense thing...although I don't believe it. Not just yet. As far as I've heard there are still finished products Decipher is sitting on. Before they see publication in any form, I don't see any sublicense being given away.

Cut said:
Alright, see me do a one-eighty here :D

The aforementioned Decipher .pdfs over at Drivethru...they are gone since the day before yesterday...might be a sublicense thing...although I don't believe it. Not just yet. As far as I've heard there are still finished products Decipher is sitting on. Before they see publication in any form, I don't see any sublicense being given away.

Was their stuff ever actually up there on Drivethru? Cause the Trek stuff is gone too....

Yes, it was. I bought Mirror universe. And still have all the other titles listed on my wish list :) It's supposed to be a glitch, to be corrected any day now! :)

you could try something like this for middle-earth race/culture:

Dunedain: STR +1, CON +2, SIZ +3, POW +2, CHA +2, INT +1
Rohirrim: STR +1, CON +1, SIZ +1, CHA +1
Noldor: STR +1, CON +2, DEX +2, SIZ +2, POW +4, CHA +4, INT +2
Haradrim: SRT +1, DEX +1, INT -1
Orcs: STR +1, CON +2, SIZ -3, POW -3, INT -1, CHA -4
Dwarves: STR +4, CON +4, SIZ -3, POW +1, CHA-1
Hobbits: STR 2d3+6,CON 1d6+10, DEX +2, SIZ 1d6+5, CHA +1(not sure about this profil).

You can add some special rules for each races/cultures based on the one found in Decipher book and in Ambarquenta rules. Hope this help.

uruk-hai: STR+2, CON+3, SIZ-1, POW-1, CHA-4
Hill-troll: (average);STR 28 , CON , DEX 10, SIZ 30, POW 10, INT1d6+2,CHA 7
easterling: CON +1, DEX +1, SIZ-1, POW -1, INT -1
warg: STR3d6+4, CON3d6+3, DEX 3d6+3, SIZ2d6+8, POW3d6+1,INT 8,CHA 7

Man, that was hard to design!

I pickup up MRQ because of a Middle Earth game a friend ran a few years back using RQ3 but also becauase I'm impressed with the quality of product support in the Conan line.

I would love to see a MRQ Middle Earth. I plan to use the Decipher LotR spell system (I think it is pretty close to *right* for Middle Earth) with slight modification with the race stats similar to the ones posted in this thread.

Oh no no no no please....why do people want to get halflings into RQ.

Please stop...can we have a non-Halfling in RQ campaign?

N.H.I.R.Q.?

CHRIS

SmegmaLord said:
Oh no no no no please....why do people want to get halflings into RQ.

Please stop...can we have a non-Halfling in RQ campaign?

N.H.I.R.Q.?

CHRIS

I thought someone tried to introduce halflings in the gods age or something like that. Weren't they cursed with feathers and bills or some such?

I thought someone tried to introduce halflings in the gods age or something like that. Weren't they cursed with feathers and bills or some such?[/quote]

Everyone's cursed with bills.

Back