Animate dead..

Hi, my Npc Necromancer needs some "cool" spells while i wait for the companion & gloranta. So i try to make an "animate dead" spells in rune magic format, so far i got this..

Animate dead (skeleton)

Casting time: 1-7 hrs. (it's aritual ) Duration: 1-7 weeks (or days, hrs) magnitude 7, touch

Rune: undead

Creates 1 skeleton with 3d6 in str, dex & 1d6 in con. just like in the creature section.

comments...

so if you got some cool ideas please share..

:)

There were/are spells that did this sort of thing in eailer editions of RQ. I can get you the old point cost and effects if you like.

I hope you're not planning on running a necromacer in a Glorathan campaign. It's not a popular career choice.

atgxtg it would be very nice of you if i could get that info just for that basic spell /ritual. Im going to run a test game with some victims :twisted:

If you really want to get some interesting spells for a nasty necro, go see if you can Find a copy of Stormbringer or its supplement the Bronze Grimoire. Had some nice spell that where not all that hard for me to convert.

Yep, thats right i'm fiddeling with elric! & the bronse grimmore right now!

I think i'm going to start a new thread with spell conversions .. :wink:

Here's the Create Skeleton & Create Zombie spells from RQ3 (as used by Zorak Zorani):

Create Skeleton 2 POW
ritual Enchant, nonstackable, reusable

Creates animated skeletons. When the spell is cast, both POW and magic points must be expended. Each magic point gives the skeleton 1 magic point. Each point of POW gives the skeleton 1D6 STR or 1D6 DEX, specified by then enchanter. Note that the 2 POW cost above is to gain the spell, and the POW expended to gain STR/DEX is additional to this.

Create Zombie 3 POW
ritual Enchant, nonstackable, reusable

Creates zombies. Zorak Zoran zombies do not have the spirit of the original owner bound into them. Instead, they are mindless magical constructs. When this ritual is performed both magic points and POW must be expended. Each mp gives the completed zombie 1 mp. One point of POW must be sacrificed for each 6 SIZ or fraction therof which the corpse possesses. The completed zombie will have INT 0.

Hope that's useful. Don't know if you know the original RQ system, if not, the POW cost for the spell is the POW that you must initially sacrifice to gain the spell (i.e. 2 or 3 POW in these examples). Nonstackable means that you can't combine several spells to increase it's strength. Reusable means that when the priest has cast the spell, he can regain it by spending time at a temple (usually 1 day = 1 POW).

Of course, don't know how this will gel with the Divine spells in the Companion.

cheers,

Mark

Lakritsploppen said:
atgxtg it would be very nice of you if i could get that info just for that basic spell /ritual. Im going to run a test game with some victims :twisted:

d(sqrt (-1)) beat me too it.

BTW, Just a word of cuation[-Strombringer has a much more powerful magic system than typical RQ, so be very carefuly with converting stuff over, or you will make your spellcasters much more powerful than other RQ spellcasters.

IN addtion, the spells listed in RQ were Divine spells, not Sorcery, although it wouldn't be tough to convert. Pretty much the same except use Intensity for POW. Also as ritual magic, it would take an hour per point POW used to cast the enchanment.

IF you are working up a NPC villian, none of this really matters, since he will probably not get the chance to use this in play. Pretty much set up his undread nminions and let the group go after him.

In old RQ there were some guidelines for Zombies and such. Something like a mim STR based on SIZ, and usually the more powerful Skeletons & ZOmbies were of biggesr creaturees. So a STR 30, SIZ 30 Zombie might be a bear zombie and so forth.

Just be careful not to slaughter your adventurers.

d(sqrt(-1)) said:
I think Zombies & Skeletons had to have STR at least equal to half their size to be able to move around.

Mark

I think you are right. That also led to the possiblity of making one that couldn't move if you rolled bad on the STR dice. So if you zombied a SIZ 20 Dark Troll and bought 6d6 STR and really rolled bad (like a 9) you would need to either reinchant it's STR, or restart, or cast Strength on it when you wanted to use it.

I guess that is the risk you take when going after a 2d6 damage bonus!

Thanks for the info guys i shall try to incorporate them tonight, i'll probably post the result if anyone is intrested..
the reason why i need the spell stats is because the necromancer is creating the undead and the players are going to be running around trying to locate him, the longer it takes for them the tougher the fight..

Lakritsploppen said:
Thanks for the info guys i shall try to incorporate them tonight, i'll probably post the result if anyone is intrested..
the reason why i need the spell stats is because the necromancer is creating the undead and the players are going to be running around trying to locate him, the longer it takes for them the tougher the fight..

I'd suggest writing up a few "expendable" type undead in advance, rather than random rolling. The DEX roll is pretty crucial, as combat skills are at DEX x5, so if you roll high the group could be in trouble. If the necromancer was smart, he'd make one with a 4 or 5D6 DEX and a 4D6 STR, armor it up and wipe out the fledgling PCs. Good for him, but not so good for your group.

Back