Airlocks?

Keldon

Mongoose
Hi all, just a question about something i have noticed while designing a trader ship for my group.

I cannot find an option anywhere for an Airlock, some of the ship in Merchant prince and elsewhere have them as costing 1dTon and 0.2Mcr in the ship stats but I cant find this anywhere!

is it hidden? :)

P.S. can anyone reccomend a good suppliment for designing your own ships? New or old?

Cheers!

Keldon said:
Hi all, just a question about something i have noticed while designing a trader ship for my group.

I cannot find an option anywhere for an Airlock, some of the ship in Merchant prince and elsewhere have them as costing 1dTon and 0.2Mcr in the ship stats but I cant find this anywhere!

is it hidden? :)

Book 5: High Guard, page: 61.

Keldon said:
P.S. can anyone reccomend a good suppliment for designing your own ships? New or old?

Core rulebooks and High Guard contain the ship construction information.

AndrewW said:
Keldon said:

Core rulebooks and High Guard contain the ship construction information.
More accurately, the Core Book has the core ship-design system, and High Guard has expansions and additions to it, as well as a capital-ship (2,000 or more tons) design system.

Golan2072 said:
More accurately, the Core Book has the core ship-design system, and High Guard has expansions and additions to it, as well as a capital-ship (2,000 or more tons) design system.

Capital Ships are 2,001+ tons. High Guard also has a section for small craft.

High Guard has the airlock as an option for small craft, but larger ships are assumed to have at least one per 100 dTons for free (basic p.137). This actually seems a little excessive when you get to the larger ships - probably basing it on the crew/passenger size is more reasonable (and in fact the 1000 ton Heavy Freighter does not appear to have 10 airlocks, even with the incomplete deck plans provided...). Cargo bays are technically airlocks, though they are usually one large hull door plus an internal bulkhead hatch on either side of a large volume. I'd think in terms of "one per 10 staterooms" or so.

In practice, go with what looks reasonable on the deckplans.

AndrewW said:
Book 5: High Guard, page: 61.

Thanks :) Guess I missed that as it was in the small craft section.

I find it odd then that the OO Large Liner for example has paid for an airlock!

I was hoping there might be a book explaining how many "spaces" each Dton allows when drawing up deck plans, im guessing from the existing deck plans its 2 squares per ton though!

Yep, the MGT d-ton is represented by two, 3 meter high, 1.5 meter a side squares. (13.5 cubic meters)

Core pg 105 inset states:
  • Size is measured in .. d-tons: .. (one d-ton equals roughly 14 cubic meters)

(Of course, else wheres, it is stated that these are referred to as tons and the d is dropped, IIRC).

Keldon said:
I was hoping there might be a book explaining how many "spaces" each Dton allows when drawing up deck plans, im guessing from the existing deck plans its 2 squares per ton though!

That's the usual, though you are free to do it differently if you so desire.

IMTU deckplan airlocks are usually 4 squares (2x2), 2 of the squares being used to for lockers holding vacc suits and other outside-the-hull equipment/tools.

Fedmahn Kassad said:
IMTU deckplan airlocks are usually 4 squares (2x2), 2 of the squares being used to for lockers holding vacc suits and other outside-the-hull equipment/tools.

Ship's Lockers are common on ships and free though usually separate from the airlock, may be located nearby.

I usually separated the airlock "lockers" from the "ship's locker" because crew (players & NPCs) were want to store weapons-n-such in the ships lockers.

Having the weapons stored near the point where strangers entered the ship seemed like a bad idea, while having vacc suits-n-such far away from the airlock also seemed like a bad idea. =)

The airlock lockers were usually for hull tools, patches, repair kits, respirators, vacc-suits and stuff you would use on EVAs.

Having the vacc-suit lockers as part of the airlock just seemed more practical to me, but as per usual, YMMV...

Back