Age of Conan - Strategy Board Game

I sure hope this hits the market before 2009! I wonder if they have experienced some issues with playtesting...

I also wonder how the game will play with just 2 players...visually it looks like a game that may not realize its full potential unless 4-5 players play. :shock:

It seems a bit more difficult than War of the Ring. Moreover if each player begins with a city, it doesn't reflect the reality of the Hyborian Age.
Interesting mechanic nonetheless.

New pictures here:

http://www.gioconomicon.net/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=81&pos=0

I notice they changed the cover art of the boxed set (picture 9) with an illustration far more in tune with Conan as the previous one.

I also think the gaming board is a bit small for so many minis.

Still looks great! Those minis are awesome and would work well for rpg games too!

Kinda reminds me of the Game of Thrones boardgame, but with dice.

The King said:
I notice they changed the cover art of the boxed set (picture 9) with an illustration far more in tune with Conan as the previous one.

I also think the gaming board is a bit small for so many minis.

Thanks for the link MGBM!

I seriously doubt The King that Nexus has changed the cover - too far along in the process to do that. I'm guessing that the box is just a mockup used for demos, since it is the same image they originally released with the game before announcing the real cover. I'm hoping the board is gonna be much bigger. I'm almost fed up waiting for this game - c'mon Nexus!

Remember, what you are seeing being played is still a prototype so nothing is definitive yet, not even the minis.

More news. Boardgamenews has a short report from a playtester.

I passed quickly on this title since as a playtester, I’ve been able to play it deeply. The game is really good: much better than Marvel Heroes and as good as War of the Ring. The game is really thematic and works fine. The four different factions are well characterized, both in the rules and in the graphics and miniatures. As in the books, Conan plays an important role but is not lined up with a faction; he moves and plays his adventure during the wars, sometimes battling in first person. Age of Conan is a gamers’ game, and the first play could be more than 3-4 hours long. Another title from DiMeglio, Maggi and Nepitello that I’m sure to want on my shelf!

And have a video of the game, with one of the designers explaining the game in Italian.

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=jnSdP2pH0_k

New images for the sculpts for the Age of Conan boardgame:

In Age of Conan, you will find 12 different sculptures depicting the armies, heroes and villains of the Hyborian Age. And here, you can preview them all!

In Age of Conan, each player is in control of the fate of one of the 4 major kingdoms of Hyboria – Aquilonia, Stygia, Turan and Hyperborea.
The goal of the game is to make your kingdom the greater of this time, and there are two ways to achieve this – intrigue and military action.
Your emissaries are the means by which you do intrigue. Intrigue is fundamental as an empire-building activity, as it’s the major way to accumulate gold for your kingdom – and gold is necessary to increase the might of your armies and make them unstoppable forces on the field of battle.
Your emissaries will persuade with diplomacy, guile, treachery and sorcery the minor powers to become your allies, establishing the foundation of your power. They will also adventure, trade and intrigue in enemy lands, bringing more gold to your coffers.

pic380900_t.jpg

You will place a tower with the color of your kingdom – another of the figures included in the game - to mark the alliance with a neutral nation.

pic380909_2.jpg

In the end, they can’t win the game for you – but you can’t win without them, either.
The sculptures of the emissaries are based on archetypes of non-military figures of the different kingdoms, so you will see in the game a noble Aquilonian, a wily Turanian diplomat, a Stygian sorcerer and a Hyperborean wizard.
Your armies are of course the hammer by which you will crush the opposition – first you will go out and conquer the small neutral kingdoms, then you will have to face the armies and the allied kingdoms of your opponents.
You will need gold and military actions to recruit armies, and you will need more gold to put in play the “play on the table” cards of your Kingdom deck – these powerful cards, representing characters and elite units, will make your armies much more powerful in battle than mere numbers would suggest.
Only with armies you may subjugate the minor kingdoms and gain empire points – which, together with a number of bonus points, make up the bulk of your final score in the game.

pic380910_3.jpg

Whenever you subjugate a neutral, you will mark your conquest with a fort – in time, however, your forts may develop into cities, and you may also mark this development by stacking a tower and a fort together (the figures may lock onto each other).

pic380911_4.jpg

The sculptures of the army units are based on some of the best-known military of the different kingdoms. Aquilonia brings to battle powerful, armored foot-soldiers, while the Hyperboreans fight with the mighty Gurnakhi Giants. The Stygian army is composed of snake-warriors, fierce fighters wearing into battle helms with the likeness of a serpent, while Turan fights with light, agile soldiers carrying bow and scimitar.

pic380908_5.jpg

Last but not least, the mighty figure of Conan the barbarian stands taller than everybody else on the board, sword in hand. Conan will be a powerful force which from time to time may help or hinder the player, and at the end of the game your performance in controlling Conan may be as important as the strength of your empire in determining whether you win or lose.

pic380912_6.jpg

Conan will always be traveling from an adventure to another, and the obelisk figure, Inscribed with ancient runes from a forgotten time, marks the location where he’s traveling to.

pic380913_7.jpg

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/345949

Holy Smokes! These look great! B) B)

Fantasy Flight is now advertising the Age of Conan board-game release as February 2009.

Damn the luck! :x

Yes, but if they advertise it, that means it's now in the production phase and we will see it at that time.

The King said:
Yes, but if they advertise it, that means it's now in the production phase and we will see it at that time.

You don't know about FFG and their schedule delays. :p

MGBM said:
The King said:

Exactly. Christmas 2009 is a possibility. I just don't understand the delay on this game. Missing the x-mas season this year is a real disappointment.

Strom said:
MGBM said:
The King said:

Exactly. Christmas 2009 is a possibility. I just don't understand the delay on this game. Missing the x-mas season this year is a real disappointment.
In the end it seems we have to wait for everything Conan.

Back