Age of Conan - Strategy Board Game

Strom

Mongoose
From Gaming Report :

Viareggio, Italy, August 2006 - Nexus Editrice is proud to announce that it has entered into a licensing agreement with Paradox Entertainment / Conan Properties to produce a strategy board game based on the adventures of Conan the Barbarian, the archetypical fantasy hero

created by the Texan writer Robert E. Howard. Tentatively titled "Age of Conan - The Strategy Board Game", the game is planned to be released in late 2007. In Age of Conan, two or more players will lead the nations of the "Hyborian Era", the fantasy world created by Robert E. Howard as a background for the stories of Conan. Employing weapons, wealth or magic, each player will strive to achieve hegemony over the others.

"We’re very excited about this deal with Paradox Entertainment. As we’ve done in our previous projects based on famous stories and characters, like "War of the Ring" and "Marvel Heroes", we will take much care bringing to the game the characters, the places and events featured in the Conan stories. We want to create an exciting game faithful to the great tales created by Robert E. Howard", says Roberto Di Meglio, CEO of Nexus Editrice.

"We are thrilled to see a board game based in Hyboria. Robert E. Howard created a world filled with adventure and a board game is a great way of discovering it first-hand. Nexus has a formidable reputation of developing visually stunning games in established universes, and we trust our character in their hands", says Fredrik Malmberg, Head of Licensing and Creative Affairs at Paradox Entertainment.

Two years ago, Nexus Editrice published worldwide the best selling board game "War of the Ring", under license from Tolkien Enterprise/Sophisticated Games. The game has sold almost 100,000 copies and was nominated for important international prizes, being recognized as the best General Strategy Board Game in the 2-Player category by the 2005 International Gamers Awards. In March 2006, Nexus published the first expansion for this game, "Battles of the Third Age", in six different languages. In September 2006 Nexus is releasing "Marvel Heroes", under license from Marvel Enterprises, a board game based on the Marvel universe.

"Age of Conan - The Strategy Board Game" will feature hundreds of high quality plastic miniatures based on original sculptures and a rich array of components, including a big game board, maps, cards, tokens and dices. Created in the 1930’s by Robert E. Howard, Conan has been a hugely successful fantasy character for more than 70 years, with over 12 million books featuring the character sold worldwide and many other productions based on the stories, including movies, toys, comics, TV series and games. For additional information, visit the official website www.conan.com.

About Nexus Editrice:
Founded on 1993, Nexus (www.nexusgames.com) is one of the leading game publishers in Italy, with original products and licensed editions of major international gaming brands. Nexus games, like X-BUGS and WINGS OF WAR series, have been licensed all around the world. Nexus has also published worldwide the board game WAR OF THE RING, under license from Tolkien Enterprise/Sophisticated Games, and its expansion, BATTLES OF THE THIRD AGE, and the MARVEL HEROES Strategy Board Game.

About Paradox Entertainment:
Paradox Entertainment (www.paradox-entertainment.com) owns, develops and licenses mainly character-based properties. The company owns the stories and characters created by pulp author Robert E. Howard, among others Conan, Kull, Bran Mak Morn and Solomon Kane. Paradox also owns the self-created property Mutant Chronicles. In all, the property portfolio consists of around 1000 stories and characters. Industries exploiting the company property portfolio include film, TV, book, comics, videogame, Internet/mobile /wireless, toys, apparel, and more.

8)

High Lord Dee said:
Maybe I missed something? So, we are looking at plastic, non-painted miniatures?

HLD

For the strategy board game yes... The detail of the miniatures in Runebound are more than decent.

True dat...but Fantasy Flight puts out the War of the Ring game (which this Italian company put together - and who is doing Conan) so the quality of a FF game is what we can expect for the Conan game. :D

Fantasy Flight does put out good games...no doubt. Just a bit disappointed that the Conan miniature line will really not be usable for the RPG or mass battles (like Warhammer, Reaper, or D&D). I am sure the game will be good though.

HLD

I look forward to checking this game out! A good board game is a nice distraction from the RPG so it doesn't become a bored-game 8)

Excellent info Strom. Thank you :D

I have their War of the rings boardgame (it seems to be from the same guys) and though I don't like the plastic minis very much because they take to much place on the board, the game in itself is very enjoyable.

Just a bit disappointed that the Conan miniature line will really not be usable for the RPG or mass battles (like Warhammer, Reaper, or D&D).

Why wouldnt they? Just paint the suckers up and use em if you want???? :?

High Lord Dee said:
Fantasy Flight does put out good games...no doubt. Just a bit disappointed that the Conan miniature line will really not be usable for the RPG or mass battles (like Warhammer, Reaper, or D&D). I am sure the game will be good though.

HLD
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't think that the "Age of Conan" boardgame is replacing Mongoose's plans for the "Age of Conan" minature wargame. AFAIK the minatures have simply been put on the back burner until they finish putzing around with their Battlefield: Evolutioun line. In fact I seem to recall some hints about Conan minatures from the "State of Mongoose" thread back around the new year.

That said, they have been promising the Conan minature game for nearly two years now so I'm not going to spend much time worrying about it unitl it actually shows up.

Later.

That sounds all well and good, but as far as board games go, I'm more interested in hearing about crunch than fluff. Is this game like risk, axis & allies, settlers of catan, diplomacy, or what?

slaughterj said:
That sounds all well and good, but as far as board games go, I'm more interested in hearing about crunch than fluff. Is this game like risk, axis & allies, settlers of catan, diplomacy, or what?
It should be more like their war of the rings, not far away for the board wargame category.

slaughterj said:

Patience slaughterj - the circle is not yet complete!

Hopefully, after they demo the game at the the Nuremberg con we will get some crunch - it's very early.

The King said:
slaughterj said:
It should be more like their war of the rings, not far away for the board wargame category.

What's that like?

Strom said:
slaughterj said:

Patience slaughterj - the circle is not yet complete!

Hopefully, after they demo the game at the the Nuremberg con we will get some crunch - it's very early.

To hell with patience! Details now dammit! :lol:

slaughterj said:
The King said:
slaughterj said:

What's that like?
Sorry I oversaw your question.
It is a kind of simple wargame (with counters) where you move your unit to conquer the near regions. There are some cards to include special event and also some diplomacy to move potential allies into war at your side.
There are also some leaders who gives bonus to attack.

Back