Advise to give a friend. Please

JMISBEST

Mongoose
A Friends I know claims to be running A Custom Made Campaign of her own creation that's Hybrid of Legends, Edition 3.5 DAD and 1st edition Warhammer Roleplay, but is desperate for help. Can you give me some to give her

The problem is that her random rolls for The Loot of The Bloodsedge in Adventure 1/Fire in The Mountains has ended up with The Characters netting A Super weapon that'll make the campaign a piece of cake. Can you give advise as to what she should do? Please

When rolling for it she rolled A 91 or 3 Powers that ended up as 22 then A 2nd 91 for +4 Damage Type Extra Damage, then A 54 for Double Damage VS All Goblinoids and then 95 that meant 3 runes that ended up as 2 35's to 50's then A 15 to 20 for Breathe Fire Type Spell-Rune, A 60 to 70 for A Rune of Flight and then A 95 to 100 then A 65 or less A Minor Death Rune VS Spellcasters of Evil Alignment

That Super powerful weapon found in The Bloodshedge in the adventure means that the user will OHKO Books 1 and 3’s primary Foes, VS Book 2’s 2nd Greatest Foe, 2 of the final villains top 4 underlings, lets 1 Pc Breathe Like A Dragon once per day nd +8 VS All Goblinoids, which are the most common foe in all 4 Doomstones Adventures, but thankfully as the main villains of Chaotic not Evil Alignment he'll only(?) take 4 damage

Can I have advise to give to her as to what she should do having already dug herself into this and a likely way to deprive her Pcs of A Super-Weapon that'll definitely ruin the fun and challenge of the campaign. Please

Well now. A *lot* of what you just said went right over my head (the mechanics slurg) but what I took from it was this:

"The games master has let the players have a super powerful weapon that is story-breaking and now she needs to remove it from the game."

You have options: Bait; Single-use; Take and replace;

1. Bait: That sort of weapon can't be kept secret. It's like carrying Excalibur or the Sword of Omens (look up Thundercats) around in plain sight. There will be a LOT of people who want that sword. Have them mobbed by [plot says you can't attack or defend against this many] enemies so the big-bad ends up with the sword. This then gives them a cross-roads. Do they continue with the previous plot or change and go after this new bad guy for "their" sword?? :)

2. Single-use item. They don't know it yet, but the first time the weapon is used (or maybe the first critical hit if you're feeling nice) it will shatter, dealing the wielder (and attacker) enough damage to almost take them out (don't kill them, just make them weary of using such nice "gifts" again)

3. Take and Replace: Magical vanishing. Queue dream sequence in which the bearer meets a substantial deity who says that the sword is rightfully theirs and they need it back for the fight to come. When the character wakes up the sword is gone, and a token of the God is in it's place. Make this token a one-time-usage divine intervention - something substantial like reverse a killing blow or emergency get-out-of-certain-death teleportation. In this version you want to mitigate them losing the sword by giving them a lesser, but still not unsubstantial, gift.

+1 to what Bifford said.

In a D&D 3.5 campaign I ran I had an issue where the PCs ended up with a couple of such items. I explained the situation to the players and had an enemy spellcaster cast Mordekanien's Disjunction which tuned the powerful items into masterwork versions. Unfortunately for me, they then went and spent their loot on items that were worse (from a game balance perspective). Such is the life of a GM.

JMISBEST said:
A Friends I know claims to be running A Custom Made Campaign of her own creation that's Hybrid of Legends, Edition 3.5 DAD and 1st edition Warhammer Roleplay, but is desperate for help. Can you give me some to give her

The problem is that her random rolls for The Loot of The Bloodsedge in Adventure 1/Fire in The Mountains has ended up with The Characters netting A Super weapon that'll make the campaign a piece of cake. Can you give advise as to what she should do? Please

In my experience, there is no such thing as a Super Weapon. Sure, a weapon might have powers that can be used in a game, but no weapon is so all-powerful as to ruin a game.

JMISBEST said:
When rolling for it she rolled A 91 or 3 Powers that ended up as 22 then A 2nd 91 for +4 Damage Type Extra Damage, then A 54 for Double Damage VS All Goblinoids and then 95 that meant 3 runes that ended up as 2 35's to 50's then A 15 to 20 for Breathe Fire Type Spell-Rune, A 60 to 70 for A Rune of Flight and then A 95 to 100 then A 65 or less A Minor Death Rune VS Spellcasters of Evil Alignment

That Super powerful weapon found in The Bloodshedge in the adventure means that the user will OHKO Books 1 and 3’s primary Foes, VS Book 2’s 2nd Greatest Foe, 2 of the final villains top 4 underlings, lets 1 Pc Breathe Like A Dragon once per day nd +8 VS All Goblinoids, which are the most common foe in all 4 Doomstones Adventures, but thankfully as the main villains of Chaotic not Evil Alignment he'll only(?) take 4 damage

So, it does +4 damage and double damage vs Goblinoids. In Legend, most things that do double damage do double penetrating damage, after armour, so that might reduce the effect. So, if the sword does 1D8+1, the Adventurer has a +1D4 Damage Bonus, then the sword would do 1D8+5+1D4, an average of 12. When used against a Goblinoid, the damage is doubled, so you could either say the average of 12 is doubled to 24, or you could say the average of 12 is applied to average armour of, say, 4, giving 8 points getting through that doubles to 16. Either way, it takes out a Goblinoid hit location with each non-parried blow. To me , that is a good weapon but isn't particularly overpowering.

The Adventurer can Breathe Fire once per day. Sure, that is powerful, but is it like a dragon's area-effect breath or just affecting one opponent? If it's one opponent it isn't that bad.

Allowing the Adventurer to fly once per day isn't going to break things either. Sure, it might be annoying to the GM, occasionally, but that's about it.

Not sure how the Minor Death Rune VS Spellcasters of Evil Alignment works, but if it's a once a day effect then it isn't that powerful.

JMISBEST said:
Can I have advise to give to her as to what she should do having already dug herself into this and a likely way to deprive her Pcs of A Super-Weapon that'll definitely ruin the fun and challenge of the campaign. Please

First of all, a GM shouldn't try and get rid of a PC's weapon. That is a bad way of doing things.

However, if the weapon does unbalance every encounter, there are several things the GM can do about this:
  • Word gets around - If the PC has a supersword that cuts through Goblinoids like a hot knife through butter, then Goblinoids will find out about it. When they fight the PCs, they will concentrate on the PC with the supersword and try to take them out. Eventually, the PC might think the sword is more trouble than it's worth and try and sell it.
  • Cults - If the PC belongs to a cult, the cult might ask for the sword to give to a Hero, perhaps giving the PC something else instead.
  • Duels - If the PC's sword is so famous, then other NPCs might want it and might come along and challenge the PC for the right to bear the sword. The PC might get tired of this and get rid of the sword.
  • Ego - Such a powerful sword might have its own ego, which might prove to be troublesome. Perhaps it makes the PC challenge Goblinoids wherever they can be found, normally not a problem, unless the PC is sneaking up to spy on a camp of Goblinoids.

soltakss said:
JMISBEST said:

In my experience, there is no such thing as a Super Weapon. Sure, a weapon might have powers that can be used in a game, but no weapon is so all-powerful as to ruin a game.

JMISBEST said:

So, it does +4 damage and double damage vs Goblinoids. In Legend, most things that do double damage do double penetrating damage, after armour, so that might reduce the effect. So, if the sword does 1D8+1, the Adventurer has a +1D4 Damage Bonus, then the sword would do 1D8+5+1D4, an average of 12. When used against a Goblinoid, the damage is doubled, so you could either say the average of 12 is doubled to 24, or you could say the average of 12 is applied to average armour of, say, 4, giving 8 points getting through that doubles to 16. Either way, it takes out a Goblinoid hit location with each non-parried blow. To me , that is a good weapon but isn't particularly overpowering.

The Adventurer can Breathe Fire once per day. Sure, that is powerful, but is it like a dragon's area-effect breath or just affecting one opponent? If it's one opponent it isn't that bad.

Allowing the Adventurer to fly once per day isn't going to break things either. Sure, it might be annoying to the GM, occasionally, but that's about it.

Not sure how the Minor Death Rune VS Spellcasters of Evil Alignment works, but if it's a once a day effect then it isn't that powerful.

JMISBEST said:

First of all, a GM shouldn't try and get rid of a PC's weapon. That is a bad way of doing things.

However, if the weapon does unbalance every encounter, there are several things the GM can do about this:
  • Word gets around - If the PC has a supersword that cuts through Goblinoids like a hot knife through butter, then Goblinoids will find out about it. When they fight the PCs, they will concentrate on the PC with the supersword and try to take them out. Eventually, the PC might think the sword is more trouble than it's worth and try and sell it.
  • Cults - If the PC belongs to a cult, the cult might ask for the sword to give to a Hero, perhaps giving the PC something else instead.
  • Duels - If the PC's sword is so famous, then other NPCs might want it and might come along and challenge the PC for the right to bear the sword. The PC might get tired of this and get rid of the sword.
  • Ego - Such a powerful sword might have its own ego, which might prove to be troublesome. Perhaps it makes the PC challenge Goblinoids wherever they can be found, normally not a problem, unless the PC is sneaking up to spy on a camp of Goblinoids.

Its a unique variation of A Dragons Breathe that can only be used when the users in some form of Melee Combat and will effect up to 3 enemies that are either fighting the user or are within 6 foot of the user and fighting 1 or more allies of the user

soltakss said:
JMISBEST said:

JMISBEST said:

JMISBEST said:

The Minor Death Rune VS Spellcasters of Evil Alignment means that The 1st Spellcaster of Evil Alignment that the blade wounds per month suffers instant death unless he or she or it is protected by either A Limited Wish Spell or A Wish Spell or has some form of Divine Protection granted by A God or Goddess

JMISBEST said:
Its a unique variation of A Dragons Breathe that can only be used when the users in some form of Melee Combat and will effect up to 3 enemies that are either fighting the user or are within 6 foot of the user and fighting 1 or more allies of the user

Ah, that makes sense. It is useful not not overpowering. Presumably it is limited to a certain number of times per day.

JMISBEST said:
The Minor Death Rune VS Spellcasters of Evil Alignment means that The 1st Spellcaster of Evil Alignment that the blade wounds per month suffers instant death unless he or she or it is protected by either A Limited Wish Spell or A Wish Spell or has some form of Divine Protection granted by A God or Goddess

Wow, that is powerful.

Do they get a Save from the effect?

Does it depend on the Level of the user (In D&D terms) so you can only kill opponents of equal or lower level?

If that is a Minor Death Rune, I'd dread to think what a Major Death Rune ability would be.

soltakss said:
JMISBEST said:

Ah, that makes sense. It is useful not not overpowering. Presumably it is limited to a certain number of times per day.

JMISBEST said:

Wow, that is powerful.

Do they get a Save from the effect?

Does it depend on the Level of the user (In D&D terms) so you can only kill opponents of equal or lower level?

If that is a Minor Death Rune, I'd dread to think what a Major Death Rune ability would be.

You think that's bad Lesser Death Runes are next and slay any being of 1 race regardless of Class, Alignment and protections that aren't protected by either A Wis Spell cast by A Wizard of at least 21st level with A Int of 27 or higher or A God or Goddess whose at least A Semi-Great God or Goddess and A Major Death Rune kills anything that's not protected by A Blessing from by A Greater God or Goddess that's the equivalent of no less then A Wish Spell Cast by A Wizard of at least 29th level with A Int of at least 35

Once the weapon's capabilities are noted by the wielder's enemies, they'll figure out someway of getting past them.

Taking at look at the weapon's individual effects, how about an ambush of about 30 goblinoids wielding heavy crossbows and backed up by 6-10 evil spellcasters?

Flight: negated by crossbows
Goblinoid slayer: negated by numbers
Breath weapon: negated by a combination of evil spellcaster defensive spells and goblinoid heavy crossbows.
Spellcaster slayer: works against the 1st one of the month. What about the other 5-9?

Basically, a team of anti-heroes put together by one or more extremely offended nasties to deal with the problem once and for all. If the good guys can do it, so can the bad guys. And the bad guys couldn't care less about the consequences to others so they'll be more open to ideas.

Bad news

My friend emailed me less then 19 minutes ago to say that she'd got it mixed up with A Super-Weapon from A Dream she had the same night her Players got the real 1 and the real 1's even worse

She says she rolled A double 0 or 100 for 5 powers. The 1st 3 are the same as I said earlier and the other 2 are Warping that ignores all none magical Armour and Freezing which makes the target roll equal or under his/her/its CON on 4D6+2 or take +1D3 Damage

So as no Goblinoid in The Campaign other then the Final Villains 2 joint 4th in command have magical Armour all but those 2 will take at least 1 +2 for all 3 Pcs that can use Swords having A Strength of at least 16 +4 for +4 type extra damage x2 or at least 14 damage that ignores none magical Armour and will more likely then not take another 1D3x2 from The Swords Freezing P

Back