Adapting the reboot char gen for XP + XCOM based combat.

emeraldnext

Mongoose
Reposted from reddit, of course. Thought someone here might find it useful.

I do apologize about the inconsistent quality of the writing, it's a first draft I had just finished the other night that I'm using for Troubleshooters/XP. We haven't gotten into combat yet, so I'm trying to make something that's deep yet quick enough to resolve.

Most likely I'll add onto this the PDF of a quick reference chart, once I finish it for my players.

I've already invested too much into this old system to just throw it away when the new game comes around, so I've adapted a couple of other systems together (alongside the character generation from the Reboot, adapted for a d20 style system) to make this system.
Also, due to running this in High School (shock! gasp!) in order to keep the Janitors from reporting us when they hear me give secret society briefings, I've decided upon the thematically appropriate euphemism of, Recycle, in Lieu of Execute, Kill, etcetera - well, those words aren't going away entirely, but there's kind of a, not getting our club shut down by school administration, thing. (Pathfinder was kind of stretching it.)
Character Generation - (character sheet for reference)
All bold lettered skills start at 8.

This character generation system is just the one from the reboot adapted for D20 from D6.
Round 1 - the non-volunteer starts by choosing a bold lettered skill to add 1 to, and chooses someone to take a corresponding -1. Whoever got a -1 repeats this, until the last person goes - they give their -1 to the first person who started it.
First player passes clockwise or something.

Round 2 - +1, -1

Round 3 - +2, -2

Round 4 - +3, -3

This adds up so that the maximum they can deduct from a single skill is 7, which should keep that bold skill at at least 1. (Skills should never go under 1.)
Specializations are filled in from the bold lettered number.

So, new series, only specializations.

Round 1 - +4, -4

(specializations cannot go below 1, if it would, take the remainder to be subtracted, roll a d8 (or d10 for violence) and choose a different random specialization to subtract the remainder from. Skills cannot be subtracted from a player who is physically incapable of subtraction.)

Round 2 - +5, -5

Round 3 - +6, -6

Round 4 - +7, -7.

Wallah, Paranoia.

Modified Combat Rules, shamelessly taken straight from XCOM. I'm going to just add more XCOM things later, and I'm not using Perversity points for modifying rolls since I just think it's clunky - but, they will be used to purchase more combat tics, or character skill improvements.

First, both teams file the appropriate paperwork for the collateral damage to be incurred in the following conflict. In the case of imminent traitors, continue to step 2.*

Determine the starting team by choosing the first qualification that occurs, from top to bottom.

[*]The flanking team
[*]The team with the fewest weapons
[*]The team whose leader is quickest able to rally themselves with oratory

Members of the alternate team are granted a single move action, before the starting team takes the first full turn.

1st Full Turn Order - Hygiene officer, Happiness officer, Equipment guy, Communications & recording officer, (Advertising officer), Loyalty officer, Team leader.

(We have a 7th player. Yeah, no murder buddy for him, I offered to rename him Generic Pants, but he declined. And, due to a bureaucratic/administrative error, Hygiene Officer is the most important member of our team - it's supposed to be Happiness Officer, with Team Leader dead last - but I like it better, this way. A lot of fun comes out of mistakes!)

Turns do not alternate between teams, instead, all members of a team take their actions sequentially until the last member is represented. The loyalty officer and team leader always take their actions last.

After the first full turn, the turn order is clockwise, with the 1st player cycling clockwise each turn. The first player after the first turn is the Team Leader (or lowest roled troubleshooter)
During a full turn, you may choose to either take a move action and a combat action, or a special action instead of both. A reload action may replace the move action, however, this may not occur as part of another action (i.e., special actions) unless otherwise specified.

Move Actions Available - move.

Reload Action Available - replace ammunition.

Combat Actions Available - overwatch, fire weapon, covering fire (intimidation), combat mending (medical), double tap (fine manipulation)

Taking a combat action immediately ends the turn.

Special Actions available - concentrate, sprint, cardio (agility), aim down sights (fine manipulation), use mutation (POWER), spooky step (sneaking), correct weapon malfunction (weapon & armor maintenance)

Move - move your character a specified number of units. This does not require a roll.
Replace Ammunition - replace the ammunition of your weapon. Laser barrels have a set chance of malfunctioning, which increases for each shot after the six rings have been depleted. This does not require a roll.

Overwatch - You become inactive until an enemy moves within your visual field - if it seems possible to hit the enemy, you will automatically fire your weapon with a -5 to the respective speciality. Entering overwatch does not require a roll. Overwatch is exited after firing upon an enemy, or upon the start of your next turn.

Fire Weapon

Aim your weapon in the direction of treasonous, communist mutants.

R/D Head Dlareme-U-NXT has recently made the breakthrough discovery (and subsequent issuance) of twenty sided-die's effectiveness in the approximate simulation of heroic combat maneuvers, like recycling communist, mutant traitors.

Time is of the essence, Citizen! You must roll your dice within a five second window, or stand-slack jawed in defiance of your duty to defend Alpha Complex from trouble - that needs to be shot!

Say Pew, Pew Pew** - Research and Development has made the movement to voice activated systems in the wake of mass thumb-amputations led by the introduction of thumbprint authenticated smart-pistols and PDA's. However, legacy controls still exist in the edge scenario of a muted troubleshooter who retains control of a functional appendage, say, toe.

Determine the margin that this attack beats or misses the relevant Violence specialization.***

If it is zero or higher, you have hit the target - otherwise, find a suitable scapegoat for your miserable failure.

If the target is behind half cover, roll 1d4. If it's 1, the damage applies to the object, otherwise, it hits the player.

If the target is behind full cover, roll 1d10. If it is 4 or lower, the damage applies to the object, otherwise, it hits the player.

If full cover is Heavily damaged, it becomes half cover. Heavily damaged half-cover is destroyed.

If full or half cover is busted, it is destroyed. Any damage steps above Busted are applied to the character scale, but as kinetic (dependent upon the type of cover they were behind - biological waste? Most definitely probably not energy.) damage.

(This number is three, while not playing with grids. (grids need to be more solid, but non-grid has a bit more fiat.) The numbers can be tweaked around with, but the main difference in why cover's less effectual in comparison to XCOM is that we need to maintain a fast pace, along with the larger number of participants in a single combat encounter in comparison to XCOM - stuff just needs to die faster, and I think these values are about optimal for keeping a decent pace up, alongside making the player's efforts seem more effectual and less spongy. The one thing I hate most in video games or RPG's are spongy enemies. Eiuch.)

A weapon starts at the minimum damage possible, represented by the first letter in the power-code.

Next, divide by the boost number, (the second part of the weapon's power code) and round down.

Refer to the following chart . Start at minimum damage, and move right, according to the value derived above. Do not stop at maximum damage. (part 3 of the power code.)

Now, if the target's armor can resist your type of projectile****, move left by the appropriate resistance number. Damage may not exceed the maximum damage specified. (part three of the weapon's power code)

If the damage does not exceed, "Down", roll a d6 to determine the affected body part.

1 = Brain - Instantaneous recycling if maimed or downed.
2 = Chest - Instantaneous recycling if downed.
3 = Right Arm - -5 to ALL violence ratings until repaired.
4 = Left Arm - -5 to ALL management and stealth ratings until repaired.
5 = Right Leg - -5 to agility until repaired
6 = Left Leg - -5 to ALL SKILLS until repaired (that was your lucky foot)
(your ratings may not pass below a nominal score of 1)

If all appendages are amputated, gain infrared armor and special, bite ability with mouth.

Upon rolling a 1, the character must describe the motion of the projectile.

Covering Fire - You're probably not going to do anything in terms of suppression with the limited ammo provided to you, so this mostly comes down to how terrifying you can be. This action discharges 1 ammo. Don't bother with checking accuracy.****** If you pass the intimidation check, the traitor becomes suppressed until the start of your next round. While suppressed, the target is unable to take a combat action until after moving. If they move while suppressed, treat the target as if they were under overwatch.

Combat Mending - This critical, and important skill can restore maimed parts or stabilize the tissue of an amputated limb. (the relevant reduction is toned down to -3) This skill is dependent upon available equipment, and a successful medical roll.

Double Tap - Fire your weapon, before making a fine manipulation check. Pass - fire again, -5 to the speciality rating for the second shot. Fail - fire again, -10 to the speciality rating for the second shot.

Concentrate - This action cannot be taken unless in cover. Allows you to carry out the semi-traitorous action of rational thought, and grants an additional combat action next turn, in addition to your standard move and combat action. If performed, Covering fire must be used after your first combat action. Both combat actions must occur after the move action, with the exception of the reload action, which can occur in whatever part of the turn sequence. Taking a special action negates this bonus. This action does not require a roll.

Sprint - perform two move actions. This does not require a roll.

Cardio - Perform a sprint action, before making an agility check. Pass - perform an additional combat action after sprinting. Fail - lose your move action the following turn. Make a mental note regarding your next gym visit.

Aim down sights - Fire your weapon - if it hits, perform a Fine Manipulation check after armor and cover - otherwise, take the failure condition for this check. Pass - increase your damage by one step. This may exceed the maximum damage value. Fail - lose your combat action the following turn out of shame.

Use Mutation - consult GM for power roll. Report for summary recycling.

Spooky Step - Try to move as stealthily as a scrub-bot. This action can only be taken if your character is not suppressed. First, choose a target square within range of a move action. Make a sneaking check - pass, your character is able to move to the target square without triggering enemy overwatch. Fail - move to the target square. Enemy overwatch gains +5 to the relevant speciality rating if entering line of sight.

Correcting Weapon Malfunction - upon rolling a 20 while firing a weapon (yes, there is a 5% chance of weapon malfunction in Alpha Complex) or hitting the malfunction number while firing a weapon, the weapon operates properly - one last time, before the citizen is given an unspecified and quite possibly random period of time to correct the malfunction. Weapon & Armor Maintenance check, reliant upon available equipment. Consequences vary between weapons.

*The validity of imminent traitorism is to be assessed during debriefing.

**This will improve your chances of hitting the target. Do not say Pew Pew Pew while firing a slugthrower, flamethrower, cone rifle, stun gun, whip, (do not fire this) Gauss Gun, plasma generator, ice gun, experimental R/D equipment, or anything that isn't a Laser Pistol - this will cause an identity crisis in the bot-brain and may cause a malfunction instead of vaporizing the enemy to Alpha Complex.

***Failure is punishable by summary recycling.

****RED Reflect will only reflect RED or lower plasma emitted by laser pistols. Any YELLOW or above laser barrel will pass through RED reflec without resistance. In addition, RED reflec does not protect against biological or kinetic projectiles, or laser barrels within five inches of proximity to the troubleshooter's brains.

*****Dramatic recycling will implicate the responsible party in murder - otherwise, it will be charged as simple conspiracy/false termination.

******Anything other than a 1 is a waste of ammo. This is up to the GM's interpretation, and whether the player would like to waste time seeing if their shot actually hit.

Back