A stab at a system and world generation system.

captainjack23

Cosmic Mongoose
star system generation:

A modest proposal

I suggest that a problem lies in conceptualizing what the sector maps are intended for. Generally they are seen as maps, and used to describe the geography of the area in question.
Conceptually, a better approach to the problem is to view them as charts rather than maps. The difference is that a map is detail and accuracy oriented, and highly descriptive. A chart is only accuracy oriented when it is functional. A great example is the age of exploration portolan charts - they have very fiddly detail about coasts, the depths and hazards within a few miles of the coast, and where fresh water is available on the coast.....and nothing else, just white space, inland. They were for Navigators, not cartographers or scientists.

I think reframing the traveller system maps this way will help. The subsectors are already obvious functional abstractions, given the actual stellar density compared to the charted planets with starports. They are clearly a navigators reference: where are the ports the inhabited planets, the interesting stuff; and where are the shoals: red zones, and rifts.

From the viewpoint of a working navigator, It seems like you need a bare minimum of information other than the planet.
1. where is it (which orbit)
2. Are there other important ports insystem.
3. how big is the 100/10d limit for the star
(this actually should be priority 1, I imagine,)
4. since we may or may not be playing space opera, and optional consideration is where are the asteroid belts .
5. where are the gas giant(s), if any.
A trader may have one more question: are there useful resources off(main) planet ?

So, the question is, I feel, NOT how can the generation system model real astrophysics per se, but rather to quickly allow a GM to answer the above 5 questions with a reasonable chance of the system not being impossible.

Notes
 Orbits is a vague term here, its used to mean ‘the orbit of an actual planet). Specifically, from what I’ve been able to gather, there are no orbit patterns as posited via (for instance) bodes law. I assume that planets exist, that the orbit the star, and that they don’t share the same orbit.
 No attempt is made to provide actual distances within the system. Travel time between planets should be either prorated, based on the general values in CT (near world, near gas giant, etc) made up, or based on actual distances generated with a more detailed system.
 Most of the planets other than the homeworld and explicit choices by the GM should NOT be rolled for using this system beyond what is provided, nor do I recommend using a vanilla LBB3 system to roll up the non-mainworlds; this is mainly intended to locate the homeworld in relation to the non-homeworld planets, locate the belts (for space opera danger and mining campaigns) and locate the Gas Giants (for fuel). The LBB system assumes that an inhabited Mainworld is likely what is being generated.
 Stellar type generation will be added in scouts, I presume. This is designed to allow easy plug in.
 Once a stellar type and size is determined, one can plug in the actual diameter into the 100d limit, and generate actual orbital distances from the star based on one’s favorite system. Plus, detailed climate(s) can be calculated.
 Finally, the system allows existing generated worlds to be positioned in systems with some degree of likelihood. It also allows the system to influence the world generation for new planets.
 The actual relationships of the orbits to each other are categorical, not continuous – there are no actual distances implied or generated. Just the order of planets outward from the sun.

First roll the jump shadow (JS) of the star: 1d6 orbits. This defines the 100d sphere in which jump is risky. As the star is unspecified, this is a relative measurement, not absolute.

Second, roll the number of significant planet/orbits for the star: 1d6+JS (alternately, since its not clear if a bigger star will have significantly more planets, just roll 2d6)

Again, this is not intended to capture all the planets/orbital bodies….just the ones significant to play and or spaceship movement, broadly defined. Locally significant planets for earth = Mercury out to Neptune, say.

Third, determine if there are any gas giants. Roll standard traveller check, or 2d6 7+ = yes for 1d6 gas giants.

Fourth ,determine Habitable zone. Roll 2d6. The low dice is the number of the first habitable orbit; the high dice is the orbit number of the first orbit outside the habitable zone. A tie means no planet in a hab zone .
The orbit defined by the high dice (or the tie) is also the first of the outer orbits. (see next item)

Fifth, roll two d6 for each orbit testing from the star out: .
For each orbit:
Boxcars in any orbit indicates a significant (close) companion star in the last orbit.
Pairs suggest a gas giant, if any exist (from above)
In the inner system, only paired ones (snakeyes) places a GG;
in the outer system any pair, or a total > half the orbit . (stop this step once you've allocated all the GGs)
( If you don’t place all the required Gas giants, add them to the outside of the system in new orbits (but inside any companion start, naturally)
Then, read the individual dice to identify the non GG occupant of that orbit.

For orbits in the inner region, look at the lower dice,
for outer region, read the high one :

1 small rock, (optionally of size 1-3)
2 large rock, (optionally of size 4+)
3 planetoid or belt (optionally of size 0-1)
4 small ice, (optionally of size 2-4)
5 Large ice (optionally of size 5+)
6 planetoid or belt. (optionally of size 0-1)

For orbits with GG , one can optionally use the number rolled to specify some particular significant moon (Saturn would have been generated by a 66 (the ring) or possibly a 22 (titan ?) . Yes, I’m assuming that inner GG will have a 11 – its optional, and possibly likely that no “significant” satellite exists.
Empty orbits are ignored.
Move to the next orbit.

Sixth Mainworld planetary generation. This only covers the Mainworld. One can either generate the planet now, which will influence its most appropriate place in the system , or preassign an orbit to it which will influence its creation.

Method I : Preassigned orbit.
Most homeworlds will be in the Hab zone. If no Hab zone, they will be in the last inner orbit. Optionally, test each inner zone orbit from the last one in: 1d6 3+ to be the orbit. If no inner zone or Hab Zone world is indicated, it will be in the first outerzone orbit; alternately, test each orbit going outwards: 3+ to be the orbit. Note: this is where the GG moon main worlds will be generated.

World creation effects:
Any inner orbit
 -2 to the atmos roll.
 -2 to Hydrosphere.
(optional) If first orbit (or optionally inner half of the inner zone)
 -3 Atmos
 -3 Hydro.
Any Hab zone
-1 Atmos
Any Outer zone:
(optional) +1 Size if size >4 (optionally, all taint atmospheres should be treated as type A)

Planet NOT in Hab zone, last inner orbit, or first outer orbit(optional).
-2 Population.

Now, using the above DMs, generate the homeworld.

Method II: Pregenerated world.
Generate the homeworld. as normal . Final orbit location is determined by planet atmosphere. This will replace the rolled orbit occupant (eg large rock, etc)

Atmos A+ need to be either in the last hab zone, or an outer zone orbit:
 Start at the last hab zone orbit, and roll outwards for each non GG orbit : 1d6 roll of 3+ places the planet.
 If it fails to place, it replaces the first Gas Giant in the Outer zone which moves to the last orbit (inside a companion)

Atmos 4-9 are placed in hab zones if available.
 roll for each Hab zone orbit: d6 for 3+ places the planet. If the orbit contains a GG, the Mainworld is a moon of the GG.
 if not in the hab zone, the last inner zone and then the first outer zone should be checked for d6 5+ ;
 if this fails to place, it is a moon of the first Gas Giant in the Outer zone.

Atmos 0-3 can go in any orbit.
 Start in the first hab zone orbit test outwards for 4+ on d6 to last hab zone;
 Then last inner zone orbit and inwards; then first outer zone orbit outwards.
 If it fails to place, it is a moon of the first Gas Giant in the Outer zone.

Size 0, 1 or S are generally moons or planetoids in a belt.
 Initial placement is the first belt in the hab zone, or as a moon of the first planet in the hab zone (optionally, roll d6 for 2+ for each planet in the hab zone, working outward)
 If not placed, choose the belt closest to the hab zone. If equidistant, take the one closest to the sun. Otherwise, test each gas giant going outwards for 3+ on d6 for it to be a moon.
 If still not placed, roll for each non GG orbit starting from the first for 3+ on D6.
 If STILL unplaced, it is the satellite of any companion, or in the last inner orbit.
If no belt, it is a moon of a planet in the hab zone
Size 1 can be in a belt (1-3) or an orbit (4-5) satellite of any world of type large or bigger orbit (6)

A stellar companion is always in the last orbit.

World generation:

Either pure LBB3, or the following:

Roll Starport
Roll size.
Roll Atmosphere type
 Apply DMs as needed as above.
 If final size >4, roll atmosphere as normal.
 If <5, roll as 1d6 -7 + size. Any negative number = type 0; if 2+ treat as A.
 If final Atm >A , -2 pop.
Roll Hydrosphere
 Apply DMs as needed from above
Roll Population
Roll Govt
Roll Law Level
Determine Tech
THEN: Modify for starport type
 If the population is below 6, there is the possibility that the Population, LL and Govt will be a reflection of the starport and immediate community, rather than the planet as a whole.
 First note actual tech Pop, Govt and LL values as generated. If the UPP is altered by the starport, these will be the UPP used for the rest of the planet.
 In general, the UPP won’t be changed from the CT data: however, the starport rating will provide a constant minimum set of values applicable to the starport as opposed to the planet.
If starport type D,
 If population < 4 set population and LL to 2
 If Tech < 7 set tech to 6

If starport type C,
 If population < 4 set population and LL to 3
 If Tech < 8 set tech to 7
If starport type B,
 If population < 5 set population and LL to 4
 If Tech < 9 set tech to 8
If starport type A ,
 Population < 6 set population and LL to 5
 If Tech < 10 set tech to 9

The above are the mimimum values for a given starport rating – they will be the no-frills, basic fill up and service ports of the region. Not all type A ports are alike, after all, and not all are Imperial Terra , Sylea or Trantor. Port values on planets that exceed the minimum values above are likely larger and fancier versions of that type of port facility.

Done, all with d6, no more than 2d dice per fact, and in just under 2 double sided pages.

Notes

The Sociological ratings (Govt, Pop, .LL) are assumed to be based on human transplants, all of which arrived within about the last 30-50000 years. Given that timespan, the age of the star, and thus the planets is irrelevant to the settlements colonist population. .
For native life, however, it is crucial. My thought would be to use the age of the star to determine likelihood of local life beyond the bare minimum needed to oxygenate the atmosphere.

Keep in mind the repeated use of the hedgeword "significant". There may be more planets, more moons, a farther companion, a system around the companion, etc. They just aren't useful at the moment.

Thanks especially to EDG (if he wants to be associated with this), and to the others on the socio-planetary thrashing forum :wink:

I like this in general, but I wonder at the level of detail needed for every system.

Honestly, I think most people are only going to need a mainworld UWP (UPP as you say but I use UWP so as not to confuse it with the Universal Personal Profile for characters).

I think the system aught to allow layered levels of detail that are consistent with each other.

1. Roll mainworld and significant details of the system (like presence of GG). This would be all that is in the core book.
2. Roll the Stars and Planetary system general information (orbits and UWPs of other worlds and major moons).
3. Detail any world within the system. This would be gravity, temperature etc, but would be able to be generated on any planet, moon or asteroid as needed.

If done like this, then a GM can roll a sub-sector and only have to detail those systems or worlds needed for a particular adventure.

If players have a decent jump drive on their ship, they can quickly move beyond what the GM has detailed and a method of quickly (within a game session if necessary) rolling up a new planet has to exist.

The way I do it is like this:

1) Generate stars
2) Determine GGs
3) Determine orbit zones. Place world in habitable zone, or close to it if that's not available.
4) roll world size (no size/orbit DMs)
5) Roll atmosphere (atm 2-9 only in Hab zone. if Size 2-, atm 0. If size 3-4, atm 1. If size 5-8 atm 0-C. If size 9+, atm 0-F). DM-2 if Middle Zone, DM-4 if Outer Zone.
6) Roll Hydro (DM-4 if atm 3- (Ic), or atm A+ and not Hab Zone (Fl), If inner zone or size 1-, hyd=0)
7) Roll Population (Inner/Outer Zone, DM -6. Middle Zone, DM -3)
8) Roll Gov
9) Roll Law
10) Roll starport (use population-based tables)
11) Roll TL (DM +1 for Hyd 0, DM +2 for size S, DM +1 if hyd 0 and atm 2-9, DM +1 if pop 0 and mult 1+, DM +1 if gov 7, DM-2 if Gov E, no DM if gov 0)

Minimum TL:
Atm 0/1: TL 8
Atm 2/3: TL 6
Atm 4/7/9: TL 4
Atm A: TL 8
Atm B: TL 9
Atm C: TL A

12) Naval and Scout bases

I go:

Stars;
Zones (using GT:FI);
Orbits;
GGs;
Planets (closest in first, working outwards);
Planetoid belts;

Then, for each world (not GGs):

Size;
Atmosphere;
Hydrographics;
Population;
Government;
Law Level;
Starport;
Tech Level

While I like both eDGs and Grufty's methods, I am still struck by how much work is involved to create a sub-sector.

Figure normal density, that is 40 systems to be created. Without a computer program to do the grunt work (which I would use definitely), it will take a long time. Even generating a single world (the result of an unplanned mis-jump?) would take a long time.

I tend to be a small universe guy. A single Sector is more than enough Travell room for me, but at 640-ish systems, that is a LOT of data to create that I may never need.

A simple UWP like Book 2 had is a perfect starting point from which I can expand details AS NEEDED.

In that case, simply generate your star(s) and the mainworld, GGs, Planetoid belts and bases a la LBB 3/basic Traveller worldgen. If you generate the star(s) as well at the beginning, you will have a good starting point for creating all the other worlds in each system later on, when you're ready or need to.

Fair enough.

So, to pull this (kicking and screaming) back to Mongoose Traveller, what should be in the basic book?

I think:

Mainworld UWP including trade codes and bases
PBG (personally I would be happy with a simple YES/NO on belts and GG, but the PBG has been around for a long time now and probably should stay).
Star(s)

It would also be nice if there was a second UWP extension that helped give you ideas about resources, life and stuff like that, but that may be too much.

The rest could be in the Scouts book.

The only difference between your system and the standard SEC file is the travel zones (Amber/red).

I think the biggest difference between EDG and Book 3 is the order in which the various elements are generated. For example, EDG wants to generate the stars first because that might have an impact on the later elements like world habitability.

I've generated a subsector by hand before (i.e. two dice, paper, pencil only). It does take a while and it's not something done during a game session. But it is quick enough to be done as a preparation for a campaign. It's not any more complex to walk through the Book 3 (or similar) system to create a subsector, than it is to create a map for any other kind of RPG campaign.

I've also found it useful to do the by hand generation (rather than relying on a computer to do the work) because it allows me to "discover" and make notes about or tweak the results as the appear.

I would also recommend keeping the idea that a subsector (i.e. 8x10 parsecs, about 30-40 worlds) is a sufficient space to run a Traveller campaign. Not that you have to do a campaign in this space, but if you want to start your own, this is an excellent size to begin.

So a dozen steps times 30 worlds takes a couple of hours for several dozen sessions of exciting gaming = win.

Agreed about the sub-sector size. EDG mentioned that it would be nice to have a sub-sector in the core book. It doesn't even have to be OTU, it could be a "random" sub-sector with the pocket empires etc, developed out of the random rolls. I doubt this will happen though due to time.

Either version would be fine, but remember that a sytem that can account for (or ignore) both potential sequences of the system/world generation order will allow BOTH a stellar oriented generation system (star shapes world) as well as detailing existing OTU UWP's (world shapes star).

Plus, it needs to either generate data that will be at most extended rather than replaced by a "scouts' level of generation, or provide raw input for the scouts generation; we don't want two inconsistent but somewhat overlapping planet/world generation methods, I suspect.

Also, without waving the flag too much, the initial system I posted just adds 5 extra rolls to the 6 required for worldgen. So, say, a bit less than twice the effort.

And it should plug into a scouts type system. The idea is that the basic book system is generated for navigators ( a chart, results oriented) and the Scouts book for the planetologist ( a survey, description oriented).

Not to derail the topic at hand, but I thought of something that might help with the UWP/small worlds have oxygen atmospheres things.

Redefine ATM 2 and 3 to eliminate the presence of oxygen.

ATM 2 VERY THIN - Atmosphere is between 0.01 and 0.1 Earth Atmospheres. Oxygen tanks and pressure suits required.

ATM 3 THIN EXOTIC - Atmosphere is 0.1-1.0 Earth atmospheris but is not breathable. Oxygen tanks required.

ATM 4 (Thin Tainted) stays the same but now also represents all those thin atmospheres where there is too little oxygen to breath, not just those with some kind of contaminate. I believe one of the JTAS articles on world building used this definition of an ATM 4, so there is some precedent.

It might change a few world descriptions, but it could still work. Any published world desciption that was built around a ATM 2 or 3 having oxygen (like Entope) could have the UWP changed to ATM 4.

Is that too much?

Rikki Tikki Traveller said:
Not to derail the topic at hand, but I thought of something that might help with the UWP/small worlds have oxygen atmospheres things.

Redefine ATM 2 and 3 to eliminate the presence of oxygen.

ATM 2 VERY THIN - Atmosphere is between 0.01 and 0.1 Earth Atmospheres. Oxygen tanks and pressure suits required.

ATM 3 THIN EXOTIC - Atmosphere is 0.1-1.0 Earth atmospheris but is not breathable. Oxygen tanks required.

ATM 4 (Thin Tainted) stays the same but now also represents all those thin atmospheres where there is too little oxygen to breath, not just those with some kind of contaminate. I believe one of the JTAS articles on world building used this definition of an ATM 4, so there is some precedent.

It might change a few world descriptions, but it could still work. Any published world desciption that was built around a ATM 2 or 3 having oxygen (like Entope) could have the UWP changed to ATM 4.

Is that too much?

Well....the canonista in me says yes, too much,....but honestly, that is a very nice solution.

Well, Exotic atmosphere (A) is supposed to span the range of pressures. from Very Thin to Very Dense. So if you do that you'll have to say that A atmospheres are Thin or denser instead (not too big a deal I guess).

Ooops. Looks like someone has beaten us to creating an accurate starsystem generator.....

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/30374

captainjack23 said:
Ooops. Looks like someone has beaten us to creating an accurate starsystem generator.....

That's hilarious :). I love the Onion!

EDG said:
captainjack23 said:

That's hilarious :). I love the Onion!

The name alone is worth it.....I'm gonna swipe it for my campaign...
"Proximitus Terrari" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back