A Question for Mongoose re: Big Conan Map

XcomSquaddie

Mongoose
Okay Mongoose, I recently (yesterday) picked up RoK. I thought the maps inside were well done, just like maps in the earlier books.

My question is this. Would you consider doing a giant poster-map (with a hex grid) like the old World of Greyhawk map?

(For you youngins, the original World of Greyhawk boxed set (1983) featured a gigantic, two piece map somewhere in the range of 4' x 5'. It was truly a work of gaming art.)

My suggestions for a Hyborian map are:

Two pieces, each 24"x60", each folded into 8-1/2"x11" for storage.

Give it a hex grid for easy game use.

Include all of the important locations from the Conan stories.

Use the art-style like the Conan rules (inside covers) or the RoK (inside covers). It's pretty as well as functional, and doesn't overload the eye with minute detail.

With the publication of the Road of Kings, an accompanying map-book is unnecessary. Plus, since you have already printed small maps, the actual design and production costs should be less than if you were starting from scratch.

Anyway, just a suggestion for you all to think about. Thanks for listening.

Mongoose Matt mentioned in another thread that the Conan GM Screen will feature a giant poster map.

Personally, though, I have little use for a hex grid on such a big map, and hope they won't do that.

Hex grids (or squares, or long/lat lines) aren't for everybody, but I don't know which I prefer. One of the problems I've had since I saw my first map of Hyboria sometime in the mid-1980s is the lack of a consistent scale. Grid references might be helpful.

A useful, if somewhat more expensive, solution would be to print the map clean and include an acetate overlay with the appropriate markings. Or perhaps print the maps double-sided, one for each side of the grid argument.

Wrong side of the bed? Perhaps....

Anyway...also for those youngens, there were those nice Forgotten realms maps. They had about 12 or more of them. Put them all together and it barefly fit in a room. I believe it was around 20 feet x 20 feet. (give or take 10 feet). I just know it was larger than the normal maps.

Note 20 feet is 6.1 meters.

Those were the days...maps maps maps in all those boxed sets......

Also, is there ever going to be a chain mail 3.0?

Poster maps hell. I'm talkin' bedsheets! :D

But hex grids are helpful mainly in determining distances and such. A simple solution would be to have two versions, one with grid and one without. It would be inexpensive to produce and gamers could decide which one they prefer.

[ Darth Mikey sits down on a comfortable box of game books and waxes nostalgic... ]

I still have my old greyhawk map. Years ago, I carefully covered it with contact paper (both sides) and still have it to this day. I have checked into having it framed, but it would cost way too much.

Anyway, I'll stop now, before I bore everyone to death.

But, I will say that since Conan is an epic game, we need an epic sized map! :D

Darth Mikey said:
Okay Mongoose, I recently (yesterday) picked up RoK. I thought the maps inside were well done, just like maps in the earlier books.

My question is this. Would you consider doing a giant poster-map (with a hex grid) like the old World of Greyhawk map?

The force is with you Darth! I entirely agree with your request - that old Greyhawk map was awesome! I really liked the different Coat of Arms for each country! Even if they made a map the size of Strombringer (the old game) I would be happy! Maybe the map from the GM shield will suffice but thanks for the trip down memory lane (my bro got the old Greyhawk map - the rat bastard! :D ) Talk about adventure hooks - just looking at the Greyhawk map made me want to create adventures! The Conan RPG should follow suit - gridlines and all! 8)

We have printed out an enlarged viersion of the map from the website. Printed in four pieces and then taped together and lamenated at the local print shop. It works out very well.

On a side note, I was wondering if anyone has noticed the varitions of locations on the 3 different maps that I have seen (the web, the RPG, and the RoK) All the maps look great, but I have noticed several differences. For example, Akbitana is located in southern Corinthia in the Rpg, while being located in north-central Shem on the web map. Yaralet (just happens to be where some players traveled to) is located in it's proper place in the Rpg and web maps, while the new RoK maps shows it being located far to the west , across several mountain ranges and across two countries from where it should be located. I do not intend to be picky, I'm just a stickler for details (especailly since my players are running around in a city that seems to be running around......).

Please let me know, Thanks.

Guest said:
(especailly since my players are running around in a city that seems to be running around......).

Please let me know, Thanks.

Sorta like that Fortress in Krull. :wink:

Back