A Game of Thrones

El Cid

Mongoose
With AoG going out of Business, and HBO picking up the rights to do a series using Martin's A Game of Thrones wouldn't it be a good idea to look at the possibility of Mongoose picking up that title for a RPG?

I don' know if any company has decided to keep the series going but I don't think anyone could do it as well as Mongoose.

Sidney Kuhn

AoG?

They went out of business years ago, and they didn't produce anything relating to the Game of Thrones as I remember...

:?

Nick

captainsmirk said:
AoG?

They went out of business years ago, and they didn't produce anything relating to the Game of Thrones as I remember...

:?

Nick

Oppps. Guardians of Order (GoO) not Agents of Gaming (AoG).

Sidney

Keep in mind that one of the reasons that GoO went out of business was because of all the licensing deals that they had been using. The debt load became too high, and most weren't returning the investment.

It's really hard to say that George RR Martin's work (which, to be fair, I'm decidedly not a fan of) would garner enough RPG sales to match what would be an undoubtably high licensing fee.

Well they did go a little over the top with it. I would suggest that aGoT is probably up there with things like Pendragon, Lankhmar and so on in terms of potential audience - possibly larger if HBO come up with the goods. Mongoose are nothing if not good at maximising their returns and could easily, I suspect, make a good go of it.

FFG have made a good go with the agot ccg and boardgames and it takes quite something to keep a ccg afloat these days.

Personally, I would love to see them do it with RQ. The beauty of RQ is that all you have to do is to hack the magic and maybe extend the range of armour and all the rest is fluff. You don't need to spend 100 pages creating new classes, feats and so on. Look at what DBC did with Lankhmar - 164 pages - 80 pages of fluff, 20 pages of char gen, 20 pages of stats, 20 page adventure and 20 pages of Black Magic. You could do something similar with aGoT quite easily.

I gather from GRRM's not-a-blog that this is up for grabs. Mongoose interested? It's a fantastic world, and Mongoose are the best people I'd like to see tackle it - they've got a great track record with other licences.

I just noticed this tonight, I went to their website and it is indeed true. Guardians of order is gone, as of last summer (2006). I saw their besm stuff in the very comic shop where I picked up the conan rpg a few weeks ago. I'm also a BESM fan, even met mark mckinnon at a con a few years ago. All I can say is (cover your eyes if yer feint hearted) DAMN DAMN DAMN!!! another good game publisher down the tube.

Yeah, but when will they do another re-release of it? And yes, I agree about another game company down the tube! It sucks!

I agree that this would have been a pretty nice world for RQ but Green Ronin has already picked up the license. It will probably have a totally new system instead of OGL.

Back