a campaign based on Arbellatra?

GamingGlen

Banded Mongoose
I think that a linked series of adventures based around Grand Admiral Arbellatra defeating the Out-World Coalition in the Second Frontier War and her going to Capital to defeat the current Barracks Emperor would make for an epic level campaign.

The players could be a special unit of the military at her disposal, whether psionic or special ops personnel, or just the usual roguish group that happened to be at the right place at the right time.

The first adventure could be their finding out about the initial attack at Cipango, if this information is canon (gotten from the wiki): "Prior to the Second Frontier War Cipango was part of the Imperium and served as the Imperial subsector capital. The war began with an attack on Cipango before quickly expanding to engulf three subsectors. As a result of the war Cipango became a Zhodani world." Their warning could be what saved Arbellatra from being captured at Cipango as she was present there at the time of the attack and become her special unit she pays unusual attention to (and possible romantic possibilities as well :D ).

What was the TL of the Imperium in 615? I thought I once read a TL table through the years but cannot find it (or it never existed).

Is there more data about that time period than the token library entries (Arbellatra, Second Frontier War)?

edit: it is canon, from Expedition to Zhodane (Adv6).
edit 2: (more info): Grand Admiral Arbellatra Alkhalikoi fought a holding action accompanied with behind-the-lines raids for nearly three years in Jewell subsector. Finally, the sector's shipyards finished construction of several large dreadnaughts, and they, coupled with reinforcements from trailing sectors, enabled a decisive engagement which stalemated both sides. Alkhalikoi accepted the dangerous responsibility of ceding more territory to the Zhodani and of releasing perhaps a dozen systems previously incor-porated into the Imperium, rendering them independent.
Opinion: Perhaps 500 years later it doesn't matter any more, but I wonder if many citizens of those planets transferred to the Zho were a bit miffed at Arbellatra (until they were "reeducated" ;)). Another possible scenario is an assassination attempt on her before the signing ceremony handing the planets over.

Except the Imperium has had jump 5 ships for a couple of centuries and jump 6 couriers by the 600s.

The novel really does upset the applecart of 'what you thought you knew about the OTU'

GamingGlen said:
I think that a linked series of adventures based around Grand Admiral Arbellatra defeating the Out-World Coalition in the Second Frontier War and her going to Capital to defeat the current Barracks Emperor would make for an epic level campaign.

Great idea. It could potentially be run, all or in part, as a naval campaign using the rules in the Element-Class Cruisers set.

paltrysum said:
GamingGlen said:

Great idea. It could potentially be run, all or in part, as a naval campaign using the rules in the Element-Class Cruisers set.

Are you psionic? I was just thinking the same thing... :shock:

NOLATrav said:
Are you psionic? I was just thinking the same thing... :shock:

Unfortunately, I never tested, and now I'm so old that my PSI characteristic has been reduced to zero I'm sure. :cry:

Sigtrygg said:
Except the Imperium has had jump 5 ships for a couple of centuries and jump 6 couriers by the 600s.

The novel really does upset the applecart of 'what you thought you knew about the OTU'

Perhaps this is a good reason NOT to read it. Otherwise I might wonder why the Imperium's general TL in 1105 is so low. The Hivers are plotting something?

Not reading it means you are denying the actual owner/author describing the OTU.

Remember what we know about the Third Imperium is told from an unreliable narrative viewpoit and has undergone changes over the years.

The data given in MegaTraveller for Imperial TL refer to civilian general technology, the military is more advanced up to TL15.

Also remember that the Imperium:
does not have the strength nor the power which it once had.

There is an interesting answer given by MWM during his recent CyborgPrime interview; when asked about his Traveller universe that he games in he replies that the OTU is his.

So, would any of the currently available ships (from High Guard or other sources) have been available back then, or would we need to design something new (old)?

Annatar Giftbringer said:
So, would any of the currently available ships (from High Guard or other sources) have been available back then, or would we need to design something new (old)?

We would need new designs.

Back