"A Call To Arms" ship combat game

Jal

Mongoose
just in case anyone has missed this on the main section, here is what is coming out for the ship combat game:

http://mongoose.powderblue.co.uk/miniature/series.php?qsSeries=28

What was the official release date supposed to be, September?

Just a little note, I am REALLY looking forward to this.

Dag'Nabbit said:
What was the official release date supposed to be, September?

Just a little note, I am REALLY looking forward to this.

GenCon. I guess it would hit the shelves a week or so after that, slated for August.

Makes me wish that my redeployment would get me back in time for Gencon. I really want to go. Oh well, there's always next year.

Makes me wish that my redeployment would get me back in time for Gencon. I really want to go. Oh well, there's always next year.

Could anybody give me an idea how big these ships are? Is the base a standard size and if so how big, or the fighter bases?

Thanks in advance. :)

The ship size debate will long rage as the show itself was inconsistant on this matter. The first issue? Babylon 5 was only three miles long when created, but its size was never stated until it was changed to 5 miles in season 2. As a result, all the ships shown in Season 1 next to the station suddenly doubled in size.

In addition, no sizes were laid down for the ships in the series bible and they varied depending on what looked good for the special effects of a given scene. The only ship that we have a good size on is the Starfury, as they built a life sized set of it.

In general, the d20 sizes given in the Mongoose rules are on the low side of the various size estimates I have seen, and I am in fact ignoring them in my game. They directly contradict the much larger ship sizes we see in the show (using scenes where we see B5 and the ships are in close proximity as B5 is the only large space object we have a definitive size for). The Sharlin patrolling around B5 often passed behind it and still could be seen both above and below the station due to their tremendous size. We have excellent shots of the Nova Dreadnaught and the Explorer ship parked along side for a good size comparison and the Omega and the Nova use essentially the same hull, plus the spin section. During the civil war we see several shots of the Hyperion and the Omega side by side to compare.

Using those scenes, the Sharlin and the Omega are both about a mile long (really big) The G'Kwan is smaller. Few good shots exist of Centauri or Vorlon ships in relation to the others to give a good guess.

When Crusade came out, official sizes were finally applied to several of the ships (and they were again expanded). The ships just kept getting bigger as the series went on.

Winter Wolf said:
Could anybody give me an idea how big these ships are? Is the base a standard size and if so how big, or the fighter bases?

Thanks in advance. :)

The ships are exactly identical in size to the former AoG B5Wars full scale range ;) The fighter bases are 1" hex bases, andd the fighters are exactly identical in sizae to the former Aog Fleet Action scale miniatures.

The Omega is about 3" - 4" long, the Nova slightly shorter.

Why wait - all of these miniatures (and more) are available on the old AOG website (it looks dead but the order page is live) -

They say that they are old AOG stock returned from distributors but they come in baggies and quantities are unlimited.

Best Part is they are 1/2 PRICE - better get them soon as I'd exect Bruce to have to stop this before Mongose releases them in their packaging

bobbi said:
Why wait - all of these miniatures (and more) are available on the old AOG website (it looks dead but the order page is live) -

They say that they are old AOG stock returned from distributors but they come in baggies and quantities are unlimited.

Best Part is they are 1/2 PRICE - better get them soon as I'd exect Bruce to have to stop this before Mongose releases them in their packaging

The only problem with this is that we were told by Bruce, before AOG died, that all B5 merchandise was going to be destroyed after the last day of their license. This date was over a year ago. Makes me wonder why your seeing a live order page.

So, what's up with this one Bruce?

From what Bruce has said on the B5Wars.net forums, he has bought lots of AOG stock back from distributors that was just sitting in their warehouses. He was not casting new minis this whole time.

That order page is live, I and many others have filled out fleets over the last several months.

bobbi said:

Why? Bruce's personal stock is a limited resource (he's already out of some of the more popular lines (the fleet packs being a case in point...)) - when it's gone, it's gone and with the Mongoose range a-coming, the distributer returns are less likely.

I'd put good money on Bruce selling Mongoose stock when his supply runs down given the depedence the B5Wars community now has on him for supply :)

Yes, I bought out a distributor last year (sight unseen), and wound up with far more than I bargained for...a garage full of broken blisters and bags of ships and fighters that took forever to sort through. The plan had been to auction all of this on Ebay, but I wound up getting better deals (and spending less time online) selling directly with fans of the game who inquired by email asking if I still had anything available. This happened a LOT, which was why I was willing to put up my own money to buy all that stuff in the first place.

Since AOG paid for years of web hosting in advance (further proof, if any were needed, that we hadn't intended to quit the biz) the old sales pages were still there, so I used them as a secure way to take orders, since we no longer had a way to take credit cards or anything like that over the Internet. You'll note that there is no longer a link from the home page to the orders page, so this isn't exactly public knowledge. Nearly all my buyers are old fans of AOG or supporters of the old game who are keeping the dream alive over at http://b5wars.net, the 100% fan-run B5W/FA website. I'm just happy I can still provide these fans with our old products at a discount for as long as stock allows...I feel like this is a reward for their support over the 6 years AOG was in existence.

For those of you who have knowledge of the mechanics of this coming minitures game, how does it compare to B5 Wars?

Obviously I can't say too much but it does capture the feel of B5 ship combat, plays fast and is highly teachable to newbies. B5W wasn't at all friendly to players new to minis games. I had played a lot of the AOG game and am completely satisfied with the Mongoose rules.

So what exactly will be available for purchase at GenCon? I know it has been stated that the Call to Arms starter set will be there, which as I understand it will have counters to represnt all of the ships in the game until the miniatures are released but will we see any of the fleet box sets, most likely being the Earth Alliance and Minbari, available for purchase? I'd really like to get into the game but knowing what happens to my money and free time after GenCon (they both disappear) it is much less likely if I can't get them at the convention.

Back