2E Telepathy

Greg Smith

Mongoose
How do you create a character with a high P-rating? The Telepath feat gives a character a rating of 2d4-2 (0-6). I cannot see a mechanism for giving characters P7-12.

Is it intended to be a GM fudge for NPCs, I wonder?

You can indeed. Instead of taking your extra Tepe feat at Level 1 you can choose to add 6 to your P-rating. Hope this helps. Page 52, Telepathy Feat.

Now for a few more questions:
P123 describes, close,medium and long range as all requiring line of sight,.

P124 "It should be noted that exceptionally powerful Telepath's greatly increase the range of their abilities, to the extent that where those that normally require touch or LOS may be used with neither ( as close ,medium or long range)

P124 Line of Sight - Such abilities require not only that for a telepath to be able to actually see the subject but also deiscern features so that they can readily make a telepathic connection.

Going on these. Your limit with good vision is about 200 metres.(If you are really lucky.
So how did the riogues tell that Bester had arrived on the staqtion, as fara as we know, none had X-ray vision.

Which leads to a bad joke.
How do you hide from a telepath?
Turn off the lights.

Or are all Psi cops issued with a torch and sunglasses.
_____
Communication is now Power 6. Yet, most Teep's are now P6 or less. The Psychic grapevine described in the PsiCorp handbook is going to tiure out a lot of people.

Mind Mirror- Power 6- described as the the best defence of most weaker teep's

Warning - Power 4 - p1-3 are going to get tired just doing one word messages.

Surface scan - Power 7 - Most commercial Teep's P5- P8. Again a lot of really tired people.

Since now most Teeps are P1-6, with ones over P8 very rare.(P122) This makes the 50% burnout rate for P5's even worse.

You can have the Telepath feat without the class, This gives you a P-rating of 0-6. When you get your first level of telepath, you can boost it to 7-12. Amazing what a bit of testing/training can do.

Can you still tell when somebody uses an ability near you, like you could in first edition.

Barbara said:
So how did the riogues tell that Bester had arrived on the staqtion, as fara as we know, none had X-ray vision.

Because it was Bester. It doesn't matter what the rules say, it's what the GM/Writer says that's important here. They knew he was aboard because Bester just radiates that...

However

Barbara said:
Now for a few more questions:
P123 describes, close,medium and long range as all requiring line of sight,.

P124 "It should be noted that exceptionally powerful Telepath's greatly increase the range of their abilities, to the extent that where those that normally require touch or LOS may be used with neither ( as close ,medium or long range)

P124 Line of Sight - Such abilities require not only that for a telepath to be able to actually see the subject but also deiscern features so that they can readily make a telepathic connection.

If you look there, you answered your own question. Bester is powerful enough to fore go LOS. He's projecting, not them probing. It should be remembered that Bester isn't just a normal P12 - he's a little bit "more" (or should be...). Hence using an unlisted ability ;)

Barbara said:
Communication is now Power 6. Yet, most Teep's are now P6 or less. The Psychic grapevine described in the PsiCorp handbook is going to tiure out a lot of people.

No it isn't - that's Rule Playing and not Role Playing. It's one of those things that just happens - no roll required.

Barbara said:
You can have the Telepath feat without the class, This gives you a P-rating of 0-6. When you get your first level of telepath, you can boost it to 7-12. Amazing what a bit of testing/training can do.

Logically, I would only allow someone who takes his first level as a Telepath to swap a telepath feat for 6 points of P-rating...it just wouldn't make sense otherwise...

Just my 2 cents anyway...

Nikopol said:
Barbara said:

Logically, I would only allow someone who takes his first level as a Telepath to swap a telepath feat for 6 points of P-rating...it just wouldn't make sense otherwise...

Just my 2 cents anyway...

I would think a high level teep would be spotted and enrolled in Psi Corps, therefore high level teeps will start as telepaths (similarly in other societies powerful teeps will be required to undertake training for their own good as well as the good of society).

Giving a normal 1st level character the telepath feat is a pretty potent advantage - opening up a variety of powers for the player.

And yet also screwing them over, because if anyone finds out the Psicorps likely will - lots of tasty roleplaying possibilities there.

True but I know certain players who would play a Minbari Warrior Caste ('cos they're hard) and add telepathy on top. I don't let him in my games anymore.

The point being, it wouldn't mess up a character from another race (say a Centauri agent) as much as it would a human.

Yeah, I meant if you're playing a human. I think if your first level isn't Telepath you shouldn't be able to get the +6 to your P-Level if you multiclass later. Your P-Level should remain flat throughout from the beginning unless you get Vorlonified.

Actually, there's a Signs and Portents article that needs to be done - going into detail on the restrictions and laws governing non-human teeps. Really, they should be almost as constrained as a Psi Corps member.

Although we know from the show that Minbari ones aren't at all - they are highly honoured if I remember correctly.

Reborn said:
Although we know from the show that Minbari ones aren't at all - they are highly honoured if I remember correctly.

You're missing a thing there... They're Minbari ;)

They're constrained culturally. You'll note how Delenn managed to stir those Minbari teeps to do what she wanted with regards Bester, which was potentially quite dangerous.

It's all about obligation, duty etc.

But they only had to because Delenn was a religious leader. It's just like a soldier will do what his superior officer asks of him - they don't have any extra constraints like the Psi-Corps do.

They still have a unique place and responsibility in Minbari culture and society. There's scope for a piece on 'why my Minbari teep can't brainsuck all the human monkeys on Babylon 5 if he wants to.'

Mongoose Gar said:
There's scope for a piece on 'why my Minbari teep can't brainsuck all the human monkeys on Babylon 5 if he wants to.'

"It would bring great dishonour to them, their clan, thir caste........"

:lol:

LBH

Reborn said:
And also it would be murder. Just a thought.

Not if they only did a mind wipe, that would just be death of personality, which, sinc eit is not counted as capital punishment, is not strictly killing someone or murder.

LBH

Back