2300AD Core Book Preview

In the original weapons could fire at ships in the same hex or, at a penalty, the adjacent hex. Only ships with a Jerome (sorry about the lack of accents) drive could move. It was mainly about getting your x-ray laser missiles and submunitions where you thought the enemy was going to and keeping your fingers crossed. Very big hexes on the map........of course you didn't need too many hexes.

dalek4890l said:
In the original weapons could fire at ships in the same hex or, at a penalty, the adjacent hex. Only ships with a Jerome (sorry about the lack of accents) drive could move. It was mainly about getting your x-ray laser missiles and submunitions where you thought the enemy was going to and keeping your fingers crossed. Very big hexes on the map........of course you didn't need too many hexes.

More like submarine warfare than age-of-sail gun battles (unless you were willing & able to get CLOSE to your enemy). It was also pretty easy to mission-kill even big ships IIRC if you took out the sensors or the fire-control computer. I think the designers referred to it as "hide & go seek with bazookas."

I recall there being a rather big scale gaffe in the rules, weren't the hexes supposed to be 600,000 kilometers (roughly 2-light seconds) & 1-minute turns in Star Cruiser? Elsewhere (either the director's guide or a Challenge article) the STL speeds in au per day implied a much smaller scale i, I think around 30,000 km / hex, given the 1-minute time increment & listed movement rates.

The wargame movement scale was not the same at the STL movement. The wargame scale was strictly for the game. I don't remember the rationale, but there is no scale error.

As for ACTA 2300/Star Cruiser II, I did make the suggestion...

Back