1st Sandsmodel Chinese PLA WZ-551 painted

Agis

Mongoose
As some of you may have noticed, Sandsmodel is producing a 20mm 1/72 WZ-551 now.
I was fortunate enough to get some of the first models.
WZ-551_1.jpg

The tires and the turret has to attached, the gun is metal cast.
The kit suffers from some air bubbles (nothing that some putty can’t fix) but is otherwise a very nice one!
The base is made of plasticard.

For scale comparison you can see the WZ-551 together with some Britannia Afghans.
WZ-551_3.jpg

Another view (from the back) can be seen on my website:
http://www.agisn.de/html/ultramodern.html

Very nice! If I were to go 20mm I would definitely pick this up. I have a real nice size PLA Army with the MGP Evo minis. I just need to find the Helicopter for them!

rvrratt said:
Very nice! If I were to go 20mm I would definitely pick this up. I have a real nice size PLA Army with the MGP Evo minis. I just need to find the Helicopter for them!
Thanks!
The heli is also a problem in 20mm... :x :(

I'd say that there's no problem - after the available photos of WZ-10 are probably fakes, so any combat heli will do (with small alterations perhaps) ;)

Pietia said:
I'd say that there's no problem - after the available photos of WZ-10 are probably fakes, so any combat heli will do (with small alterations perhaps) ;)

Oh! :shock:
So which combat heli would be most fitting?

the mongoose one is bigger, and would not look right next to it.
i do not have the mongoose one, but it is bigger than our 1/72 model.
the wz551 is now available at these rates:-
uk &bfpo £7.50
europe £8.50
rest of world £9.00
these prices include postage
thanks
shaun.

Agis said:
rvrratt said:
Thanks!

And a pretty big infantry problem (there are none!) unless I missed them somehow, BTW that IFV is awesome. Did someone say Type 99 also?

BTW that IFV is awesome. Did someone say Type 99 also?
yes we did and here is a couple of pics of the master about 75% done.
i will be moulding it quite soon.
DSCN3398.jpg

DSCN3402.jpg

DSCN3401.jpg

still needs the extra reactive armour to be fitted and the gun barrel.
i am hoping to get it done for the xmas break.
thanks
shaun

no_such_luck said:
Agis said:
rvrratt said:
Thanks!

And a pretty big infantry problem (there are none!) unless I missed them somehow, BTW that IFV is awesome. Did someone say Type 99 also?

Liberation do French modern infantry in 20mm, which are roughly similar in looks (bullpup rifles with top handles and Fritz helmets). Close enough for me in 20mm anyway. If you were really fussy you could cut off the top handle and say they have the para version of the Type-97.

Aww, man! I really wish you guys were stateside, because I want one of those(or three).

Oh and according to PSR, Ceasar is doing 1/72 PLA in the near future.

Im' stoked!

no_such_luck said:
Aww, man! I really wish you guys were stateside, because I want one of those(or three).
??? Why not order anyway? I s the shipment too high?

no_such_luck said:

Oh! :shock: These are good news! Thanks for sharing.

no_such_luck said:

Im' stoked!
the cost to you including postage is £9.00 ea.
if you would like to order please email me at
sales@sandsmodels.com
thanks
shaun.

Caesar figures are pretty nice, and closer than most to 'true' 20mm, but if their modern US infantry in Desert kit is typical then they'll not have useful support weapons (US kit has mostly M4s and M16s, some with M203s. They seem to have current kit, including hydration gear and NVGs, but come with a single M60 and some LAWs. No SAWs at all :? ).

Back