[1e] House Rule: Skills Training

FraNe91

Mongoose
Hi guys!
I wanted to share with you my new blog's post about an alternative rule to advance character's skills during play.

You can read it here: Traveller - House Rule: Skills Training

And here's the first part:
I never liked Traveller skill advancement rule (first edition by Mongoose), because it's based on the supposition that the more things you know, the more time you'll spend to learn new ones.
I think this is plain wrong, and that's why I created this house rule.

It is a fact that the more skilled you are in something, the hardest / longest you must train or study to get better at it, be it because the subject becomes harder at higher levels or the the specialized info is more difficult to find or whatever.

But this stands true only for that single skill or knowledge, be it theoretical physics or piloting starcrafts, and not for every existing one.
If today I manage learn the whole Canticle of Aldebaran, it does not mean that tomorrow I'll have to spend more time or that I'll have to train harder to learn how to fire a pistol!

Time's the point, I think. The focus must go in how much time I'll have to spend to train a skill, paying attention on what I already know about that skill.
That, and in which way I'll train. Will I hire a professional teacher? Or just ask my ship's pilot to show me?

Being trained by a qualified instructor is not exactly the same thing than learning how to fix a maneuver drive by watching a video on the planet's net!

[...]
I hope you'll like it!
Thoughts and opinions are of course welcome :)

PS: Since I do not own the new edition I'm not sure if these rules are compatible with it, please tell me if they are and I'll edit the title.

I like training rules to be easy to remember and quick to do the figures for. If I have to open the book during a game to see how training works, and look over all the "IF" conditions being met or not, not good.

Back