Traveller VTT

I’ve run a couple of one-shots in Foundry. The 2d6 system there is really nice for Traveller and Cepheus. The down side is that none of the official MGT2e stuff is available so you have to use the old SRD items or enter them yourself. Hasn’t been a big deal for me since I only enter the bits I need for a given adventure and then put them into compendiums for later re-use.

I also play in a 2e campaign and a vaguely “classic” flavored one on Roll20 where it… does, technically, have character sheets. (Someone - I think maybe CyborgPrime? - has been updating the 2e one lately.)

(Not so hidden subtext: c’mon, Mongoose - give us support for other VTTs, or at least give us an SRD type document for 2e so we can distribute the basics for whatever VTT we choose!)
Ill echo this

I also use the twodsix system for foundry, Used it for about oh 2 years now for MgT2, I do find foundry is quite flexible and far easier to use and less prone to issues than roll20 (player in a dnd 5e game in roll 20 and its just.. painful at times).
Currently somewhere through mysteries of the ancients.

Ill also echo that the main issue is the lack of an SRD, and what details are in PDFs are difficult to extract (and some of the images get weird artifacts when I extract them). At the least I think id pay a few extra dollars for a nicely uniformly formatted CSV of items for something like the core book, then I could reference and use it as I see fit.

Not used Fantasy grounds, the expense there is just a lot a lot for the app and then the same if not more than the PDF for the adventure again, just.. ouch.

I am running my Traveller on Roll20 quite happily.
I also play quite a few games on Foundry.
Foundry is better, but I also find AV is about as flaky on both nowadays, i.e. not very flaky and pretty good.

I ran a FGU 2e campaign for about a year and it was relatively smooth, although I was managing it more as a FGC system as I didn't invest the time to learn about LOS/LOF dynamics for the new FGU map system.

When it came to character generation it was a lot of fun as the subtables are all automated and easy to roll from.

fyi FGU is unity and FGC is classic

Ill echo this

I also use the twodsix system for foundry, Used it for about oh 2 years now for MgT2, I do find foundry is quite flexible and far easier to use and less prone to issues than roll20 (player in a dnd 5e game in roll 20 and its just.. painful at times).
Currently somewhere through mysteries of the ancients.

Ill also echo that the main issue is the lack of an SRD, and what details are in PDFs are difficult to extract (and some of the images get weird artifacts when I extract them). At the least I think id pay a few extra dollars for a nicely uniformly formatted CSV of items for something like the core book, then I could reference and use it as I see fit.

Not used Fantasy grounds, the expense there is just a lot a lot for the app and then the same if not more than the PDF for the adventure again, just.. ouch.
I've also been wanting CSV or similar extracts from the core books, and started work on extracting them.

The vague idea that I have in mind is that the CSV data itself cannot be distributed (at least, not to people who don't own the original books), as that would violate copyright, but it seems like it should be quite possible to provide tools for someone who legally owns the materias to extract them in a common form, and they can themselves inject them into their instance of a VTT or other tool of choice.

I've had some success with this. My prototype project being to reproduce the process described in "On Creating a Frictionless Traveller, Part I: Trade" with data automatically extracted from the core rules, and this was successful.

I've been polishing up the source code and configuration a bit for others to use.

The Fantasy Grounds material is all coming in-house to Mongoose (transfer from my personal account) and it will be refreshed with the 2022/23 core material. Work shall begin on this soon.
Is there any ETA on this at all? Months? End of the year? 2025?

I'm gearing up to run my game on Foundry because of the recent pause on FG and no refreshed 2022/23 material, but would love to throw money at a nice new theme and updated official modules on FG. It is by far my preferred VTT.

They have done all(?) of the bug fixes and updates for Traveller for FG 4.5.

Some people are putting the 2.5 aspect assets up soon I have heard.

I do look forward to more of the things moving from this store to that store as well.

I've also been wanting CSV or similar extracts from the core books, and started work on extracting them.

The vague idea that I have in mind is that the CSV data itself cannot be distributed (at least, not to people who don't own the original books), as that would violate copyright, but it seems like it should be quite possible to provide tools for someone who legally owns the materias to extract them in a common form, and they can themselves inject them into their instance of a VTT or other tool of choice.

I've had some success with this. My prototype project being to reproduce the process described in "On Creating a Frictionless Traveller, Part I: Trade" with data automatically extracted from the core rules, and this was successful.

I've been polishing up the source code and configuration a bit for others to use.
https://pypi.org/project/travdata/ and there it is. Plenty more work to:
  • configure it to extract more tables and books,
  • some incomplete features converting CSV into other forms (but I see that as optional to implement for the time being),
  • maybe stick a GUI on the front instead of just a CLI?

Back