Traveller VTT

Right now I'm working on learning Fantasy Grounds. I'm hoping to get some one shots run by the end of the year, probably using some existing ones that have already been converted to FGU.

If I'm successful at the one shots, I'm hoping to launch a campaign early in 2024.

I have run my D&D campaign using a VTT for the past 20+ years.
I use FG and will be starting up my Traveller campaign this fall.

On the FG forums there is a decent level of involvement. The books are being converted slowly but surely. Smiteworks is committed to supporting the ruleset, it gets every update and they fix any bugs found.

I am working with an author to convert some of his PDF material into FG modules, leaving the official Mongoose conversion to the current authors doing it.

The issue with the Traveller FG ruleset is that it is no longer receiving active development. Only bug fixes. The single developer for it is unable to work on it Aby longer, so it's just receiving bug fixes from the Smiteworks devs now.

Its a shame, as I would much rather use FG, but have instead opted for foundry for my Traveller VTT.

I’m pretty green when it comes to online gaming still, I have to say. I much prefer to run things in person. However, sometimes online play is the best bet to get gaming consistently I have found.

Would it be possible for someone to give a lowdown over what the best options are for Traveller gamers online - the comparative advantages/disadvantages of Fantasy Grounds vs Roll20 and the rest?

I cannot speak to Roll20.

For Fantasy Grounds.
*Official MG2 rule set
*Many items converted and available in the store
*Full automation and ease of adding in new official material
*One time purchase no need to subscribe
***varies by your needs, the GM can purchase one time Ultimate License and that is the only cost for the program
***can convert your own items without purchasing anything after the Core Rules book
*If the GM has an Ultimate License players only need the free demo to participate
*Excellent support for program
*Program updates include rule set updates to keep in line with how FG develops
*Program is run from the GM's computer, not cloud based
*System agnostic

Minor problems
*Program is computer based, not cloud based
**meaning a need for all participants to have a computer able to run program, no tablets, etc
**all materials are hosted on the GM's computer so dependent on internet speed of that person
*Learning curve to program, primarily for the GM
*Developer who was working on the rule set has stopped work in favor of other project
**rule set works very well, just unsure if non-bug changes will be happening
*Upfront cost for the Ultimate License can be a deterrent for some

I have used FG for over two years now, moving to this after using my previous VTT for 18+ years. The experience with the Forums there, support by staff and fellow users, ease of access for purchasing materials at reasonable prices, future proofing (important for me with long time campaigns), has proven the choice was the correct one for our group.

I've used MapTool myself, can't say for any others. Works well, anyone can host, doesn't have to be the GM. Completely free along with some related tools. No sort of official support, though for myself I haven't really found that necessary. Computer based as well.

That is pretty useful information. So FG is more a digital toolset that an online gaming outlet (as with Roll20)?
Very much a complete package.

Program to run over 100+ different rulesets, store to purchase official products from, the Forge for user created content for sale, Forums to provide assistance and suggest things.

Inside of FG you can build your entire campaign, build your own maps with full Line of Sight, complete interactive character sheets, ship character sheets as well.

Anyone can reach out and I can show you around how I use FG.

That is pretty useful information. So FG is more a digital toolset that an online gaming outlet (as with Roll20)?
It turns out that this week (Starting Today and running through the end of the weekend)some of the Traveller items in the FG store are on sale. Including the Core Rule set and Aliens of Charted Space 1 and 2

For the listing of titles.

I’ve run a couple of one-shots in Foundry. The 2d6 system there is really nice for Traveller and Cepheus. The down side is that none of the official MGT2e stuff is available so you have to use the old SRD items or enter them yourself. Hasn’t been a big deal for me since I only enter the bits I need for a given adventure and then put them into compendiums for later re-use.

I also play in a 2e campaign and a vaguely “classic” flavored one on Roll20 where it… does, technically, have character sheets. (Someone - I think maybe CyborgPrime? - has been updating the 2e one lately.)

(Not so hidden subtext: c’mon, Mongoose - give us support for other VTTs, or at least give us an SRD type document for 2e so we can distribute the basics for whatever VTT we choose!)

I also play in a 2e campaign and a vaguely “classic” flavored one on Roll20 where it… does, technically, have character sheets. (Someone - I think maybe CyborgPrime? - has been updating the 2e one lately.)
Not me - I wanted to make the modifiers calculate on a scale greater than characteristic=15 but back then it was too labor-intensive to mess with. They have recently created a better character sheet editor tool but I haven't used it yet.

Thanks all for opinions and input. I agree the preference towards in persons vs. on line gaming but is VTT better than TV, video games, or painting figs in the basement? I have been using Roll20 not because I have did any complex assessment, but it seemed to have market share (remember VHS) and went with the crowd. Some of the alternatives seem to require you re-purchase assets in their system.

Way back in the Mega Traveller days, one of the High Clerics of Traveller said in an interview that half the customers (note not players) were collectors, they bought the material to read and enjoy the art, but did not routinely play. I was in that group as I was hundreds of miles from home and away from the gaming group I grew up with. I wanted to play but could not find a local group, VTT solves that.

I got out of the Air Force and am now much closer to home but still 1-2 hours away from my gaming buddies of 40+ years. Plus we are married, some with kids etc. VTT (note right now I am system agnostic) allows us to get together on week nights, without the driving. My group is about half my gaming buddies, nephews and offspring of gaming buddies. I also have gotten players from Australia, England and Turkey in our game. Although it was fun having them, the reality was it is pretty hard to keep them due to time zone differences. When I need a player, I post openings on Roll20 and I am usually overwhelmed in a couple of hours. There are a lot of Traveller fans looking for a game. The downside of VTT is the "ghosting", players who just stop showing up without any communication. GMs just have to have the AC to deal with that.

I am also starting to work on the "Celebrity Guest NPC" idea. These are people I know, or mutual friends, who are VTT curious but not ready to commit. I want to use them to act out an NPC, based on some loose motivations I give them. Plus it would give the players a break from me talking.

I'm working on learning the Fantasy Grounds VTT system. The only thing I've bought from FG is the (licensed) Mongoose 2e Rulebook. It contains all the rules, etc. It would be pleasant if I also got a PDF of the rule book so I could read it without booting up FG itself.

One way I'm learning the system is by adapting an existing adventure that I (legally) own as a PDF to the system. (Yes, I could have bought an adventure from FG. But I felt I would learn it better if I actually did the work.) It is not necessary to buy a second copy of something for the FG system, but it's time consuming to adapt it manually. So you can weigh the cost in terms of time with the cost in terms of dollars when deciding whether to buy a second copy of something. (The reason to buy a rules module is because the rules module also automates some of the game. The skills necessary to code are harder than the skills necessary to copy and paste.)

Although the FG rules module doesn't include automation of the character generation rules. That's something I'm looking at seriously. I haven't programmed in a while, but it would make life much easier. Time to learn a new language...

As to why a VTT? I live in a small town in Florida. It is highly unlikely that I'd find players anywhere close by who's schedule matches mine. Also, both of my daughters play RPGs online, so it looks like the technology makes it doable nowaday. (I used to run Traveller back in the late 70s/early 80s when the technology was much more primitive. My daughters play D&D and Masks.)

I’ve run a couple of one-shots in Foundry. The 2d6 system there is really nice for Traveller and Cepheus. The down side is that none of the official MGT2e stuff is available so you have to use the old SRD items or enter them yourself. Hasn’t been a big deal for me since I only enter the bits I need for a given adventure and then put them into compendiums for later re-use.

(Not so hidden subtext: c’mon, Mongoose - give us support for other VTTs, or at least give us an SRD type document for 2e so we can distribute the basics for whatever VTT we choose!)
Matt mentioned in the Paranoia threads that Roll20 is being looked at.

Back